• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Sniper

Marot shudders as he witnesses the blow laid upon the halfork.

"I really, really hate fiends," Marot thinks to himself.

Content to remain lying on the cold stone, he takes aim at the fiend once more and unleashes more of his eldritch power.

OOC: Eldritch Blast at Fiend, +8 ranged touch, 4d6+1.

Does Marot know if this fiend is demonical or diabolical? I have a feeling that any energy type available thru the gloves of eldritch admixture would be useless against it (fire/acid/cold)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As Ashlyn rushes past him to engage the fiend, Jarrith breathes a sigh. Finally someone else moving up to engage that thing. I can't do it myself all the time... especially when I'm always the one getting my ass kicked...

(Cast Cat's Grace from wand)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The Summoning: Round 7 (Complete)

While Jarrith warded himself with additional protection, Tessa called forth more magic against the fiend. Though weak individually, the missiles were beginning to wear on the creature. [Jarrith: cat's grace; Tessa: 11hp from wand]

The Symbol tucked loosely from her breastplate, Ashlyn strides in for the attack. The fiend bellows as it sees the hated symbol! As Marot pounds it with his gift, he is rewarded by seeing ichor start to flow from its wounds! [14hp; severely wounded; unknown pedigree]

Ignoring all else, the creature lashes at the Lady paladin. Its wicked claws break her ribs and slice open her neck, once again crashing her to the ground. [23hp; dying]

The Summoning: Round 8 (Partial)

Seeing Ashlyn fall, Janis calls forth her arcane arts. The minor wound sprouts ichor at the kneecap, forcing the beast to reel! [4hp; near death] It is enough so halforc can land a heavy blow, and with a mighty swing, cleave the fiend in twain! [Critcal hit; 30+ damage; its dead, Jim]

End of Combat

Status

J: 21 [30/31, 5/5 turns, aid 49 rounds, cat's grace 50 rounds, magic circle vs evil]
J: 21 [29/35, 1 Con damage, 10/11 AP]
L: 21 [20/55, 10/11 AP]
T: 20 [35/35]
A: 12 [-3/49, dying; 1/2 smites, 5/7 turns, 0/24 lay on hands, 0/8 AP]
M: 10 [13/46, 7/8 AP, prone]
b: 4 [36/51]

pathfinderq1

First Post
"Praise the Host," Tessa sighed gratefully as the fiend fell. She moved forward to help Ashlyn, who seemed to be the most badly injured.

OOC: Tessa will use her Bull's Strength spell slot to cast a Cure Moderate, since she has no 3rd level spells left.

stonegod

The night sky was now filled with three moons, though it would be a few hours until the first full moon arose. Janis and Tessa's efforts ease most if not all the aches of the party. [lessor vigor: 17hp healed; CMW 14hp] Ashlyn returns to her feet, a bit unsteady at first, but hale enough.

Examining the dead, a few surprises are in order. The invisible witch, once her spell ends, turns out to be the beautiful Katrina, and two of the other witches might be her seen-at-a-distance brothers. The old man Andrzej is not to be seen. Of the others, Janis and Ashlyn pick out a some familiar faces---villagers that had wounds tended or that had blended into the crowd. What is disturbing, however, is the... things growing on them. Beneath the pink head scarf she always wore, Katrina bears sharp, molted ears belonging more in nightmare than on flesh. The others are similarly marked, with jaws of purple fangs or legs that bend the wrong way in orange. Clear on each of them is the scarring showing where each was crudely and painfully attached.

The Crone, her death solidified, also has a different cast now that she is at rest. If anything, her features are even more twisted, with sickening green flesh, dark hair that recalls thorny brambles, and a hideous visage. A hag to be sure. But Janis is quick to point out that such a creature is rarely alone---even if they worked separately, two more of the coven may yet haunt Barovia.

Now cool, the group also gets a better look at the Symbol. A disc of platinum, it is cast as a stylized sun, a red crystal at its heart. Inscribed around the crystal are symbols in a powerful script, though not draconic or any other such tongue known to the group. Marot does not need to use his vision to feel the latent magic in it; just being near it gives a feeling of peace and holiness. However, it feels incomplete---dormant. The words of Madam Eva ring clear in the party's mind: "You must bring the symbol home, to the last remaining shred of sacred ground in the defiled castle."

[The Symbol acts like a holy symbol for any good faith. It probably has some other minor powers, but like the sword, its full potential is not yet realized.]

As the night grew deeper, the heroes decided what to do....
Status

J: 31/31, 5/5 turns
J: 35/35, 1 Con damage, 10/11 AP
L: 37/55, 10/11 AP
T: 35/35
A: 28/49; 1/2 smites, 5/7 turns, 0/24 lay on hands, 0/8 AP
M: 30/46, 7/8 AP
b: 51/51

Last edited:

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

A smile escapes his lips as he lays on the crumbled catwalk. The fiend -- or aspect thereof, has been killed -- returned to its proper plane of existance.

"Perhaps this action might be some balm upon this gloomy land." He thinks to himself.

He struggles to stand up once more, the various wounds festering somewhat from the dark energies. Once on his feet, he murmurs a few familiar syllables and instantly appears below, next to his companions.

He pats the mute halfork on the back,"Nice work with the blade..."

His voice trails off as he gives a cursory look over condition of the others.

"I am looking forward to putting this day behind me." He says to no one in particular.

He hears Janis mutter a few words behind him, and turns to feel the healing magics flow into his body, urging itself towards health.

"Many thanks, madam." He nods his head.

He then examines the rest of the witches and crone, taking stock in who they are, what they are, and examining their possessions.

OOC: Look over the witches, crone, and fiend for any magical equipment. Knowledge (religion and/or planes) for any info regarding the odd added body parts to the witches.

stonegod

To Marot's eyes, they look similar to some of the unnatural gifts the Chosen of Ashtakala would bear---fiendish grafts from their master's flesh vaults. They must be two-sided gifts of the Verdant Lord: A power at the price of a pound of flesh.

Neither the Crone nor the others have any items of note. A few farmer's knifes and a smattering of old crossbows are all that can be found. [2 daggers, 4 light crossbows with 20 bolts usable]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When the witches identities are revealed, Jarrith sighs and then grunts in annoyance. "Great. This is all we need... having to explain to the villagers why another bunch of them got killed. I have a hard time believing that they'll accept an explanation that these were cultists of some nature demon."

He wanders over to the trap door to the basement, opens it up and looks down into the pit below. "Anyone else think we should just drop the bodies down here and leave them? That'd be my vote. Or if necessary we can bury them up here. But the last thing I want to do is bring all these bodies back to town and drop them off at their respective family's doorsteps."

Remove ads