stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Without waiting to see if Janis concurs with Sir Khensu's motions to let him look the case over and open it, Jarrith snatches it from the center of the table and spends a couple minutes examining the case for... well pretty much anything. But primarily anything that might destroy the contents inside if the case is opened incorrectly. He didn't expect to find anything like that (since there would be no reason to destroy a request for help), but he learned long ago that people often do foolish things. (Search check: Take 20 / Disable Device as needed)

"Lucky for you as well, I should think"... Jarrith says over his shoulder to the courier who appears to want to leave post haste. "If we hadn't been here... you'dve had to continue on your journey much, much longer looking for 'heroes'. So I think luck is all around us. The people of Barovia looking for a hero... you looking for a hero... and we looking for Barovia."

After examining the case and doing whatever is necessary to open it safely... Jarrith pulls the cap from the scrollcase and then reaches in to pull out the contents.

"And with a bit more luck... we'll be able to speak the language these papers are written in. If that fellow's accent is any indication... we might need that luck to hold out."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The scrollcase is a simple leather affair and quite battered. Jarrith finds no suspicious trappings to speak of, and finds a single piece of parchment on the inside.

The note is in a simple, firm hand. The language is formal, and not in common style, but perfectly understandable:
Hail to thee of might and valor:

I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community.

The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been cursed by the ancient witches of Lysaga Hill, and even the good people of our town are powerless to free her from this enchantment. She wastes away under the witches' curse and I would have her saved from this menace.

There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea.

Come quickly, for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indirovich
Burgomaster of Barovia

James Heard

Explorer
Peeking over the shoulder of Jarrith like a strange, white-headed crow, Janis read the message herself and then turned away, wringing her hands with sudden apparent glee.

Stupid yokels, everyone knows that Curses are darkest necromancy and have nothing to do whatsoever with enchantments, she thought darkly with much explicit satisfaction.

"Ah," she said, as if that explained it all.

[sblock=For the DM]
OOC: Any hits on "the ancient witches of Lysaga Hill" as to who those people might be and what they might do besides stir pots, turn people into frogs, ride around on brooms, and be discovered by clever youthful sleuths and their pesky dogs named Scooby?[/sblock]

GwydapLlew

First Post
"Very well," the shifter nods and reaches into a pouch. The glint of gold appears in his hand as he offers a closed hand - palm down - to the messenger. "Some coin for your trouble. Where do you hail from?"

stonegod

[sblock=Janis]
James Heard said:
OOC: Any hits on "the ancient witches of Lysaga Hill" as to who those people might be and what they might do besides stir pots, turn people into frogs, ride around on brooms, and be discovered by clever youthful sleuths and their pesky dogs named Scooby?
It is not a place or a group Janis has heard of, which leads her to believe it is only of local importance. Considering how cut off this place is, it is not surprising Janis has not come across them in her research.[/sblock]

stonegod

GwydapLlew said:
"Very well," the shifter nods and reaches into a pouch. The glint of gold appears in his hand as he offers a closed hand - palm down - to the messenger. "Some coin for your trouble. Where do you hail from?"
The messenger holds out his hand cautiously, and simply responds, "Everywhere. I move around. Carry messages, good money. Now, I must go."

GwydapLlew

First Post
Khensu drops a single gold coin in the man's hand. "May the light of the Silver Flame illuminate your journeys. I hope that what you offer is returned to you tenfold." He smiles a broad, canine-filled smile and claps the messenger on the shoulder before giving him a deep look, and turning to his comrades.

It's got to be a set up. It's too convenient.

[sblock=OOC]Understanding the restrictions of Eberron's alignment system, what does a quick detect evil get me?[/sblock]

stonegod

[sblock=Khensu]Khensu focuses quickly, the power of the Flame filling his sight. It is a quick glance, but there is surely the presence of the oily slick of evil in his sight. Most likely the messenger, though the innkeeper and a gap toothed local are also in his line of sight when he calls the holy power.[/sblock]
The messenger takes the coin, his eyes narrowing at the paladin's piercing look, and quickly exits the inn. He seemed oblivious to the blessing. The other patrons stare at the party and their package, then return to their sullen drinking.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases