D&D 5E Storm King's Thunder Miniatures

pukunui

Legend
I picked up a pack today. The stone giant looks really nice but it quite a bit bigger than the older sculpts. Also the stone giants average 18' tall so the minis should 3-4" tall but looks to be around 6 inches (not measured yet, just estimating). Maybe I can use it for a stone giant chieftain.
I was going to ask about this. Given that giants are just about the only creatures in the 5e MM with a stated height, how do the various representations of them stack up? The MM says a frost giant should be about 21 feet tall. Which frost giant mini is closest to that in scale? The Tyranny of Dragons one?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I was going to ask about this. Given that giants are just about the only creatures in the 5e MM with a stated height, how do the various representations of them stack up? The MM says a frost giant should be about 21 feet tall. Which frost giant mini is closest to that in scale? The Tyranny of Dragons one?

For the ones I have (I accounted for posture, and the below heights are for them standing straight):

An average height of a typical human (reaper mini) is an 1.5 inches
The female frost giant is 5 inches
the male cloud giant is 6 inches
the male fire giant is 3.5 inches

So...if 1.5 inches = 6 feet, that's 4 feet per inch. So the female frost giant is 20ft tall, and the cloud giant is 24ft tall. So it appears as if they are actually the first renditions that are accurate; all the previous ones were too small. the male fire giant is a metal Reaper mini at 14 ft. The book has them at 18ft.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION]: The first renditions being the Tyranny of Dragons ones? The older WotC ones are generally too small. Most of them are only Large, rather than Huge, in fact. It does seem like the new SKT ones are too big now, though.

I wish WizKids could get the scale right! Their dragons are too small. Some of the elementals are too small. The first two giants were about the right size but their bases were too small, and now the new giants are too big! Blargh!

GarrettKP

Explorer
[MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION]: The first renditions being the Tyranny of Dragons ones? The older WotC ones are generally too small. Most of them are only Large, rather than Huge, in fact. It does seem like the new SKT ones are too big now, though.

I wish WizKids could get the scale right! Their dragons are too small. Some of the elementals are too small. The first two giants were about the right size but their bases were too small, and now the new giants are too big! Blargh!

To be fair most of their dragons are large size, which is the correct size for a Young Dragon. So maybe they are all just young Dragons?

pukunui

Legend
To be fair most of their dragons are large size, which is the correct size for a Young Dragon. So maybe they are all just young Dragons?
If you ignore the fact that the Attack Wing game names some of them after adult and ancient dragons of the Realms, then yes, you could just assume they're all young dragons.

The ancient silver dragon promo is a bit on the small side too - it's quite puny compared to my gargantuan white and blue dragons from the old WotC line. Probably works better as an adult.

Maybe since they're making the giants bigger, they'll start making the dragons bigger too.

GarrettKP

Explorer
If you ignore the fact that the Attack Wing game names some of them after adult and ancient dragons of the Realms, then yes, you could just assume they're all young dragons.

The ancient silver dragon promo is a bit on the small side too - it's quite puny compared to my gargantuan white and blue dragons from the old WotC line. Probably works better as an adult.

Maybe since they're making the giants bigger, they'll start making the dragons bigger too.

I hope. I can make the Large Dragons work but I would love some Huge and Gargantuan Dragons.

Sacrosanct

Legend

I don't have any other Wizkids minis. I prefer to paint my own. THese are the first ones I've ever bought. So all those other giants you see in the pic are mostly from Reaper. Turns out their giants are all a bit small (along with dragons, which are traditionally smaller than normal due to logistical reasons).

Remove ads