• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stout and Versatile Weapons

King-Panda

First Post
Stout (From DS): A weapon that can be treated as a two-handed weapon.

Versatile: A one-handed weapon that can be used two-handed, dealing an extra point of damage if used two-handed.

So... what is the point of Stout? Sure, small creatures could legally use stout weapons, but they could wield versatile weapons just the same. Am I missing something?

Aulirophile

First Post
That really is unclear, isn't it? Weapons that have the Stout property are all Double Weapons. Wielding them is like wielding 2 1-handed weapons for the purposes of various feats etc., (the whole TWF feat tree) but it is also like wielding a 2-handed weapon, because of the Stout property.

scylis

First Post
That really is unclear, isn't it? Weapons that have the Stout property are all Double Weapons. Wielding them is like wielding 2 1-handed weapons for the purposes of various feats etc., (the whole TWF feat tree) but it is also like wielding a 2-handed weapon, because of the Stout property.
Best as I can tell, that pretty much sums it up, in case a second opinion is wanted.

Shin Okada

Explorer
As already pointed out, "stout" property is basically for double-weapons.

Using a double-weapon is basically like wielding 2 weapons. So basically, it is mainly used when a character has a power or feat which gives him some benefit when wielding two weapons. Say, a Ranger who has Twin Strike power or a Barbarian with Whirling Rend power. Characters with Two-Weapon feat tree or Dual Implement Spellcaster feat maybe good examples, too.

Sometimes, such a character also has some power or feat which gives him benefit only when wielding a two-handed weapon, or when wielding one weapon in two hands. Some powers like Howling Strike (barbarian) is usable only when you are wielding a melee weapon in two hands. Which, you cannot qualify with a double weapon without Stout property.

For example, a Barbarian with Whirling Rend and Howling Strike can use his Urglosh for both of those powers, as Urglosh is a double weapon with Stout property.

Cavalier

First Post
Also note that there are some powers that require that you're using a two-handed weapon, and others that require that you're using a weapon in two hands. I'm not sure why they make the distinction, but they do. And if your wording for Stout is correct, it means the weapon is technically a two handed weapon when you want it to be, while versatile is still a one handed weapon that's being used in two hands.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think it is mainly to clarify that double weapons are both two separate weapons in either hand and a single weapon in both hands.

Xeterog

Explorer
Also note that there are some powers that require that you're using a two-handed weapon, and others that require that you're using a weapon in two hands. I'm not sure why they make the distinction, but they do.

They did it so that small PC's (halflings, gnomes, etc) can be barbarians and still use most of their powers.

Remove ads