Strange Stars IC

Someone

Adventurer
Rana soon starts flying and meets the rest of the group. The screams of the guards and servants fade as you fly away.

But where?

nameless

First Post
"I need to return to my study. I have some..." Qalare pauses and grins widely, "friends there. They have proven themselves valuable in stressful situations like this before. We should also find a bit of healing, that was not a battle I think we could repeat."

Returning to a more serious answer, the grin fades from Qalare's face. "That wizard in the palace, he looked similar to the Caliph. Enough that I would call him family, though not part of any recorded family tree. Boad-elih ha-Rashnid established this kingdom, but upon his death, it nearly crumbled. Caliph Alik may not have inherited this land if not for his uncle's decision. His uncle Qalasini wished to usurp the throne from he Caliph's father, but to avert civil war he went into exile. Qalasini was not known for his generosity, but most didn't care since a war was prevented. That was over 50 years ago, and Qalasini would be over 80 years old. The young man is not Qalasini. But Qalasini's bloodline is the only one that will not appear on any records. I believe that this mysterious man is his grandson, returned to claim the throne that his grandfather believed was his."

Pausing for breath, Qalare continues, "I know not where Qalasini fled to, but the four men in red come from a far-away island of evil. This place, I may be able to find. Qalasini's scion must have been there, so they must have seen him as well. You saw it as well as I did, Qalasini's magical protections were far beyond our ken. If we were to defeat him and free the Caliph, we need to find the source of his power. I will see what I can find about the evil island, but my proposal is to visit that place and find as much about the foul wizard as we can."

DM_Matt

First Post
nameless said:
"I need to return to my study. I have some..." Qalare pauses and grins widely, "friends there. They have proven themselves valuable in stressful situations like this before. We should also find a bit of healing, that was not a battle I think we could repeat."

Returning to a more serious answer, the grin fades from Qalare's face. "That wizard in the palace, he looked similar to the Caliph. Enough that I would call him family, though not part of any recorded family tree. Boad-elih ha-Rashnid established this kingdom, but upon his death, it nearly crumbled. Caliph Alik may not have inherited this land if not for his uncle's decision. His uncle Qalasini wished to usurp the throne from he Caliph's father, but to avert civil war he went into exile. Qalasini was not known for his generosity, but most didn't care since a war was prevented. That was over 50 years ago, and Qalasini would be over 80 years old. The young man is not Qalasini. But Qalasini's bloodline is the only one that will not appear on any records. I believe that this mysterious man is his grandson, returned to claim the throne that his grandfather believed was his."

Pausing for breath, Qalare continues, "I know not where Qalasini fled to, but the four men in red come from a far-away island of evil. This place, I may be able to find. Qalasini's scion must have been there, so they must have seen him as well. You saw it as well as I did, Qalasini's magical protections were far beyond our ken. If we were to defeat him and free the Caliph, we need to find the source of his power. I will see what I can find about the evil island, but my proposal is to visit that place and find as much about the foul wizard as we can."

"Are you sure that that is wise? That young man was far too powerful for us. Do you really propose that we go to the House of Qualsini on an evil island, and defeat Qualisini himself? In addition to many, many guards, would he not have all the same protections as his grandson? And is it not likely that he is at least as powerful? Warriors become frail with old, age, but for wizards , age merely sharpens the mind, making him even more powerful than in his youth."

Fanog

First Post
Milar looks at the ground below him, hanging quite awkwardly in Qalare's grip. His face tells clearly that he does not feel really comfortable high up in the air.

"Yes, finding a safe spot would be good for the moment, although we should be aware that we are still wanted. This wizard might have the spells to find us without effort. I can provide for healing once we are down on the ground. Then we can discuss how to proceed. The Caliph is probably in danger, so I do not know if we even have the time to visit this island. There must be people at the court who can tell us what has happened, perhaps?"

Someone

Adventurer
[Seems that you´re heading to Qalare´s house/laboratory before the sandstorm begins. I´ll continue as soon you confirm this.

Nameless, describe briefly how and where´s it. Please be reasonable; a tower in the rich part of the city or a small dungeon under a ruined tavern are good; a castle is not. You can detail defenses and privacy measures if you want]

nameless

First Post
[I will set down my two passengers and end my polymorph as soon as we get to an area where we can reach the rest of the city by ground. Yes, I am going to my home, which I'll describe.]

Noting Rana's and Milar's objections, Qalare quickly responds. "Of course, I will set you down as soon as there is a place to do so. I don't doubt you'd enjoy swimming home, but we have not the time. We cannot safely stay in this city, that is a certainty. This wizard will have divination magics to find us, so we must go beyond his reach. There probably are some in the court who could help us, given the chance, there may even be some who knew the Caliph's father and uncle. I believe the point is moot since the court is the most dangerous place for us at the moment. In any case, it really is necessary to return to my home so I may obtain some sorely needed things. If anyone else needs to go anywhere, I suggest you speak now, there is a sandstorm approaching, and it will be very severe."

Landing on the riverbanks in an out-of-the-way alley, Qalare releases his two harrowed passengers. Eager to return to his human form, he dismisses the polymorph spell, and stretches his arms and legs. Looking down at himself, he says, "it's a shame I have to cover you up again," and casts a simple illusion [Disguise Self] to mask his appearance for a short while. He appears to be a clergyman of the local faith, dressed in rough canvases and carrying a holy symbol fixed on a staff [I know there are no gods, but I assume there is still religion].

Qalare quickly leads the group from the waterfront to a more affluent part of town. He finally brings them to a medium-sized but unexceptional-looking two-story house made of stone. "This is my home. Please remove your boots once inside." Letting the rest of the group in, it is not immediately obvious that this is the home of a wizard, but there are telltale signs. Many bookshelves line the walls, more than most would find fashionable. Some rare game is mounted on the walls, the type that may mount game-hunters on their walls as often as not. "There is some fruit in the living room if you would like it, and some water if you are thirsty. If you'll excuse me, I must go downstairs for a moment."

In the basement of the house, Qalare has his magical laboratory. Many would believe this to be towering glass contraptions to distill chemicals and arcane summoning circles, but Qalare's is simpler. A fine anvil is in the corner, and a raised stone slab is in the center. There are a few lecterns for hands-free reading, and some jeweler's tools at a corner desk. There is also a sewing machine placed on the desk next to the jeweler's tools. In a closed cabinet lie some of Qalare's less commonly used tools, but they are used more rarely. Also standing unobtrusively as possible in a corner, are Siva and Devi, which Qalare command to follow him upstairs.

"Now, my friends. If we will not leave al'Gera, where shall we go?"

EDIT: UBB codes.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
You arrive quickly at Qalare´s house without problem except the growing wind.

nameless said:
"There probably are some in the court who could help us, given the chance, there may even be some who knew the Caliph's father and uncle. I believe the point is moot since the court is the most dangerous place for us at the moment."

Now that you mention that, a name springs in your mind: Ben Nassor, the last in a legendary family of adventurers and merchants (normally, the same thing). He´s rich beyond measure, lives a huge palace not far from the port, is known as a great story teller and the most important, is a close friend of the Caliph.

RedStar

First Post
Torvak entered the home of Qalare seemingly ignorant of the request for boots to be removed. Hearing the offer of food and drink he quickly dissapears into the living room for a few moments before returning with his mouth foull of orange and a cup of water in his left hand.

"The way forward ios clear to me. We must find passage to this island. We must learn anything that may be of use in the battle against this usurper and oncew we are done there put any evil we find to the sword. Decisive action is what is required." Pausing for a moment Torvak gulps down the water before continuing."If we are to stay here and gather information we must be careful. At the very least we need a boat and a guide, perhaps more. Does the Caliph have any fast friends we can call on, or anyone that is truly loyal to him? In my experience this city is full of people who would stick a knife in your back whilst singing your praises to your face. It woulds seem that many in Al'Gera are loyal only to coin and wealth. Is there anyone we can trust? Is there anyone that would even believe our tale?"

[ooc:grrrr my post has been eaten twice now. Apologies for it not being as verbose as it was going to be]

Remove ads