Strange Stars IC

nameless

First Post
Seeing that nobody else knows of Nassor, Qalare speaks again, "There is one man who I think will be able to help. His name is Ben Nassor, and old adventurer who lives in a huge palace near the port. He is one of Caliph Alik's closest friends. He is also a renowned storyteller, and every story has a hint of truth in it. I think he will grant us the succor we need."

Looking around the room at his new comrades, Qalare feels slightly uneasy about how little he knows them. "I believe now is a good time for true introductions. I have seen you all before, but all I know is a name and a face. I am Qalare, wizard, sage, and artificer. Some might call me more, it's not my business to start rumors about myself. I work to keep the people of al'Gera safe and happy."

As he finishes the last sentence with a flourish of his arm, he winces at the pain of a burn on his left side and quickly lowers his arm to put his hand to it.

DM_Matt

First Post
Rana returns, sipping wine if she can find any.

"For those who do not already know, my name is Rana of Thran. I was sent by the Thulkar, the ruling Council of my nation, to insist the ambassador in his duties as well as to aid the caliph in keeping his people and his port secure from dangers, both natural and otherwise. Well, that and to enjoy the exiting court life of this fine city. But when business demands, I can be quick and deadly with my spells, my swords, or my tounge.

We cannot stay here. They will seek us out and kill us. Qualiare's defenses surely cannot hold against them. I wish to contact the ambassador, but it would not be wise to tun this into a large international incident by seeking asylum there. After I can speak to the ambassador, I think that we can try the Ben Nassor guy, but we must be wary, and probably ought not stay there long."

Jade Solstar

First Post
With a grim look Rashid softly speaks saying"I am sorry for my deafening silence but I have been meditating upon all that has happened recently..." Then he shakes his head as though he were shaking something off; Rashid warmly smiles, bows slightly and speaks in a more confident tone saying "I am Rashid Swiftstrike, Captain of the Royal Archers and master of the longbow. I have served the Caliph and his family for almost 40 years and never have I seen fear upon him as I did this night...it worries me for the safetly of him and his family. I fear that we are left no alternative but to seek out this Nassor fellow for aid and possible information to seek out this lost island of which even now casts a shadow across our once fair land. I have had many dark dreams of late and now it seems they were not merely old ghosts haunting my sleep..."

Rashid let out a sigh grabs a nectarine and after taking a few bites and a large drink of water he continues speaking "My skills lie in stealth and my bow. I am the quickest and most accurate shot in the lands of Al'Gera and though I have the potential for sorcery I have only touched upons its spells but instead I have learned how to channel my magics through my bow and into my arrows. I am committed to this quest of throwing off this dark shadow of deciet and evil which is upon us even if it means my life for we are all here for the greater good of all within Al'Gera including the Caliph and his family. Now without sounding to rude my new friends, Milar is it ? I would take you up on your offer of healing if you do not mind as that blast of electrical energy almost sent me to my knees, it was more powerful than most other spells that I have had the unpleasant experience of having..."

Rashid throws back his cloak revealing a large tear in his robes that shows a badly burned and blistered wound running from his right armpit to his waist and about four inches wide at its worst point.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
[Seems that everyone wants to try Ben Nassor, and Rana wants to warn the ambassador. Post details about how do you plan to do it (like travelling through the city, or how do you plan to avoid scrying spells)]

DM_Matt

First Post
"Does anyone have a way of avoiding scrying? Surely this mage will attempt such a thing. For my part, there is nothing really that I can do about that. I feel that it is my duty to warn the ambassador, but I fear that it is too dangerous to go alone."

Rana pulls her shirt halfway up to reveal a large burn and a deep blade slash. She winces, gives Milar a hurt-puppy look, and and says

"Milar, if you don't mind, when you;re done with Rashid"

Jade Solstar

First Post
Looking towards Rana with a slight grin Rashid says "I would be willing to accompany you to the ambassadors residence Rana, I can move quickly and quietly through the night undercover of shadows and if you can do the same through some sort of magic we shouldn't have much of a problem with the guards...

If it weren't for your assistance I may not have survivied the escape from the Palace so I owe you this support at least. Perhaps we could all meet up near this Nassar's residence after we warn the ambassador, by leaving at different times and meeting up later in the night we have less chance of detection by the guards and perhaps some still remain loyal to me if they can truely understand the situation.

I myself have no protections from magical detection, my spells are very limited to personal protection only..."

Last edited:

nameless

First Post
Addressing all present, Qalare adds his piece. "You are correct, Rana. This mage will likely Scry us, but that spell takes some time to finish. Even if he began as we left the palace, he would still be barely half finished at the most. Only the most powerful of all spells can locate someone at a moment's notice, hopefully he has not prepared such. If we move quickly and leave the city, he may not have time to mobilize against us."

"As for stealth, I should remind you that the weather is on my side. There is presently a fierce sandstorm outside, which should keep most interlopers off the streets. Some heavy clothing and protective garments will probably be sufficient to brave the weather long enough to speak with Ben Nassor and the ambassador to Thran. If another weather pattern would be more convenient, it is also within my power."

Still looking tired from his wounds, Qalare finally voices his discomfort, "I am wounded as well, Milar. If you would be kind enough to help us, it would be a great boon. But beyond the desire to free the Caliph is our immediate protection. We are not safe within the city. Indeed, we are probably not safe anywhere on this island [ooc: or continent, depending on the relative size]. I don't believe that the usurping wizard cares much for diplomatic needs, so I'm not sure what your ambassador will do for us, Rana. He should be warned, however, perhaps Thran will rise to the Caliph's defense. I do believe that Ben Nassor is wealthy and influential enough to charter us a swift vessel over the sea, however. I have already cast my vote to travel to the distant island where the mercenaries in red originated, but I will voice it again if there are no objections."

DM_Matt

First Post
"I am aware that the ambassador will be able to do little on his own, but it is imperative that Thran be warned of this in order that its forces may be mobilized against a potential attack and its merchant fleet put on alert. Besides, there are many other nations that have a stake in ensuring that this wizards does not retain control of so strategic a port. The Thulkarr would likely choose to forge a broad coalition to meet the threat head-on, or at least deter hostile action."

Fanog

First Post
The requests for healing shake Milar out of his reverie. He had gone to fetch a glass of water and had simply stood listening to the others. "My apologies. Of course I will see to your wounds..."

Before casting spells, he quickly checks the severity of everyone's injuries. While doing so, he gives some introduction. "I don't suppose any of you know me well, I myself know most of you only by face or name. Even though I have served the Caliph for years, I have not been at the court often. I have dedicated myself to the secrets of the waves and the well-being of all who tread them. As such, I am often staying with his Highness' fleet."

Milar takes a vial of water from his belt pouch and dabs some of it on his hands. Rubbing it gently on Rashid's burnt chest, he utters some softs-spoken words. "Dwellers of the waves, please lend strength to my hands, give aid and let this man regain his vigor" Methodically, he checks each of his new companions, healing until each of them has recovered from the worst of their injuries.

Milar turns to Rana, but adresses the entire group. "Warning the ambassador seems like a good idea. He might be able to offer us a safe place to stay - our houses are not safe, at least. Maybe we should split up; We could do more in the little time that we might still have before the wizard finds us, and the chance that both groups will be found is smaller. I would go see Ben Nassor, if everyone is agreed that we should split up..."

[Edit: See ooC for details concerning healing magic]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
[Fanog, it´d be better that you just roll your healing spells when not in battle; you know the party´s status, so you can decide what to cast and when to stop.

I´m working in the next post, and it´ll come soon.]

Remove ads