Streaming Services: Power Rankings Summer 2023, and What's Up With Paramount+

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Is it though? I mean, if its about a secured future than Prime should easily be #1.

Well, no. Because the past may not be completely predictive, but it does shed some light on future actions. And if you are familiar with the Business, you know that the continued and repeated failures of Prime to produce quality content are not random- they are a result of the people that Prime has making decisions, and their overall corporate structure. Even basic things that they should get right as a tech company, like the interface, are terrible.

The reason they have so many subscribers worldwide is because it's a free addition to most people. On the one hand, that's great in that a lot of people have Prime. On the other hand, it's incredibly telling that Prime has so many subscribers, yet so few viewers. That's why they aren't number one. Love it or hate it, Netflix is stand-alone and profitable, has better content than Prime, and people pay it for its service.

Disney+ has better content, a better interface, and while we don't see the strength in the US yet (because Hulu isn't part D+ in the states), you have to "price in" the more adult-oriented content that they will have. And, again, people pay for it.

Apple is a closer call; far fewer subscribers, but it is following the model of generating quality content. And you have to "price in" the fact that Apple has unlimited cash to burn and the service isn't even a rounding error (Amazon, on the other hand, as successful as it is, has mostly been treading water in terms of profitability for its entire existence .... and had massive losses recently).

It's almost like there is a method behind this. It's almost like ... there's words and stuff!

It's not though, its some weird conglomeration of business position mixed with content and future initiatives called by armchair quarterbacks. There is a thread going right now about how Paramount is the biggest bet in town and is going to absolutely kill it. I don't know how these folks come to that assessment, but they do. Same deal, a mix of actual business state, mixed with future initiatives, with a final dollop of subjective content preference. 🤷‍♂️

Sure. If you want to compare my posts to someone writing, "Hey, someone on Youtube wrote that Paramount+ is actually the most successful streaming service ever and they are playing 4D chess and are going to acquire Apple and replace tricorders with iPhones on Picard Season 4 because synergy!!1!!!" then I can't stop you. But I gotta say, given the research I do, it doesn't really show that you have a high opinion for the time I put in.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
But I gotta say, given the research I do, it doesn't really show that you have a high opinion for the time I put in.
Its not just you, its everybody. I dearly miss talking about programming for its own merits. Now everything devolves into what platform its on, how many production dollars vs marketing dollars, and will VOD carry it over. Eventually stock quotes and ability to push off hostile takeovers, or to conduct them, blah blah. I'm exhausted by it all, yet still compelled by it, so I get why folks keep on keeping on. I know now I should never have posted to begin with, and for that I do apologize.

Snarf Zagyg

Its not just you, its everybody. I dearly miss talking about programming for its own merits. Now everything devolves into what platform its on, how many production dollars vs marketing dollars, and will VOD carry it over. Eventually stock quotes and ability to push off hostile takeovers, or to conduct them, blah blah. I'm exhausted by it all, yet still compelled by it, so I get why folks keep on keeping on. I know now I should never have posted to begin with, and for that I do apologize.

I know! That's why I started making these threads. ;)

One feature of conversations we often have here on EnWorld about geek media is that they get sidetracked into conversations about the various streaming services that are currently offering the content, instead of being able to talk about the content. So while you want to have a conversation about Captain Pike's piercing eyes or hot on-again, non-again romance of Spock and Chapel on Strange New Worlds, you instead end up discussing Paramount+. Or instead of being able to chat about the best show you're not watching, The Bear, you end up debating the merits of Hulu.

Therefore, as a public service, I have decided to create these series of threads - for talking about the relative merits of streaming platforms, as well as to all people to provide their own power rankings of the platforms.

payn

I know! That's why I started making these threads. ;)

One feature of conversations we often have here on EnWorld about geek media is that they get sidetracked into conversations about the various streaming services that are currently offering the content, instead of being able to talk about the content. So while you want to have a conversation about Captain Pike's piercing eyes or hot on-again, non-again romance of Spock and Chapel on Strange New Worlds, you instead end up discussing Paramount+. Or instead of being able to chat about the best show you're not watching, The Bear, you end up debating the merits of Hulu.

Therefore, as a public service, I have decided to create these series of threads - for talking about the relative merits of streaming platforms, as well as to all people to provide their own power rankings of the platforms.
It made sense when you started. Though, its too exhausting because every single thread on film/series now is this same discussion. If folks kept the biz discussion to these threads I wouldn't mind. However, they dont. Folks just want to be able to google search and toss numbers at each other because you can talk preferences on the internets. You certainly cant just disagree, but you also have to be right. I applaud the effort and hope you do keep up. Again, I apologize for the too much for me boiling over into your thread.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Another big factor that Amazon has going for it, which will only grow long term, is algorithmic data about viewers and their interests. Heck, I'm Basic as all get out, and...I really like a lot of Amazon programming? I've been giving them personal data for years, and they are making programs that are aimed pretty squarely at me, it seems. I don't watch a lot of TV, but for me personally some of my favorite shows last year were on Amazon (specifically, Rings of Power and Vox Machina).

Stalker0

Legend
Its not just you, its everybody. I dearly miss talking about programming for its own merits.
it came to a head for me watching wheel of time. The show to me was fine, a bit bland and generic but a decent enough fantasy distraction.

Then I learned about its budget…it’s large, obscenely large budget in my eyes, and it literally ruined my enjoyment. I couldn’t unsee how cheap things looked, I couldn’t watch the show and not think “I can’t believe the spent millions of dollars on this”

So yeah I’ve gone full meta, it’s hard to separate the content from its creation nowadays

Snarf Zagyg

it came to a head for me watching wheel of time. The show to me was fine, a bit bland and generic but a decent enough fantasy distraction.

Then I learned about its budget…it’s large, obscenely large budget in my eyes, and it literally ruined my enjoyment. I couldn’t unsee how cheap things looked, I couldn’t watch the show and not think “I can’t believe the spent millions of dollars on this”

So yeah I’ve gone full meta, it’s hard to separate the content from its creation nowadays

I think it's an overall cultural thing. I don't know if it's part-and-parcel of fandom, or something else, but it's spread everywhere.

I first noticed it in sports. You literally can't have a causal sports conversation anymore before the business side (contracts, salary cap, and so on) beings to make an entrance. Players aren't just good or bad, they are playing up to the contract ... or not.

Same with movies. People seem to think that Box Office is some kind of short hand for the quality of the movie itself- despite a long history of this not being true. Yet more breathless articles (and conversations) are had about a movie's box office performance than the movie itself.

It's hard to think of a single area of life where this isn't a thing nowadays. It's ... well, it can be disheartening at times.

payn

Emmy noms are out. Max hit multiple home runs, Apple scored, Disney limped in, but no love for Prime or Paramount.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Emmy noms are out. Max hit multiple home runs, Apple scored, Disney limped in, but no love for Prime or Paramount.
All those nominations, and Max is giving into the fanboys that want more battles with the fungus zombies.....that's not going to get most people to watch. People want stories about people.

Remove ads