• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strength of 0 and flying

Slaved

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Neither does the Spider Climb spell. One grants a Fly speed, the other grants a Climb speed.

If my hands are free, can I use the Spider Climb spell to move around while paralyzed?

-Hyp.

You must have a different Players Handbook than I do. The Spider Climb Spell in my Players Handbook talks about Climbing which mentions at least some of what it needs and the Spell itself mentions needing the use of hands.

Sparafucile

First Post
Slaved said:
The Fly Spell does not require any particular motion of the Character using it because it does not say that any particular motion is required. The Armor reduces the Speed for the same reason that Arcane Spell Failure only works on the Somatic Component Spells of a limited selection of Characters -- because the RULES SAY SO!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

The rules also mention that a character whose ability loss reaches 0, lies not only "helpless," but "helpless on the ground." - DM pg. 289.

If the warlock in the above example is already flying, I might rule that the "ground" is the horizontal plane 5' under the PC. When reduced to 0, he is unable to move further, but hovers in the air in the exact spot he was in, until either his strength changes, another player reels him in, or the duration expires (at which point he falls to the ground).

With a zero strength, he can't turn around, he can't use his body to remain in a rigid flying position, he can't lift up his arms . . . hell, he really can't focus his eyes or lift his head toward any single target or flight path.

But if he's got the spell active, he can maintain it or end it if he wants, but it should still be in effect.

Folly

First Post
Whether it is a mental action or not is a moot point since there is other rules text that determines if it is possible. The fly spell states that the user of the spell cannot fly if he is above maximum load. Since a character with a 0 str has no carrying capacity, the character cannot fly.

Now if the warlock wants to travel around in the buff, then we can continue the discussion of mental vs physical action.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Slaved said:
You must have a different Players Handbook than I do. The Spider Climb Spell in my Players Handbook talks about Climbing which mentions at least some of what it needs and the Spell itself mentions needing the use of hands.

The spell mentions needing to have your hands free, which I specified in my question.

The Climb skill also requires you to have your hands free.

My hands are free, and I'm paralyzed.

If having a Climb speed isn't sufficient to Climb while Paralyzed, why is having a Fly speed sufficient to Fly while paralyzed?

Who else can fly around while paralyzed? A Rast? A Ravid? A Beholder? How does one determine if flight is a 'mental only action'?

Folly said:
Since a character with a 0 str has no carrying capacity, the character cannot fly.

That addresses the "poisoned to 0 Str" scenario in the original post, but not, for example, a Hold Person spell.

-Hyp.

Slaved

First Post
Sparafucile said:
The rules also mention that a character whose ability loss reaches 0, lies not only "helpless," but "helpless on the ground." - DM pg. 289.

If the warlock in the above example is already flying, I might rule that the "ground" is the horizontal plane 5' under the PC. When reduced to 0, he is unable to move further, but hovers in the air in the exact spot he was in, until either his strength changes, another player reels him in, or the duration expires (at which point he falls to the ground).

With a zero strength, he can't turn around, he can't use his body to remain in a rigid flying position, he can't lift up his arms . . . hell, he really can't focus his eyes or lift his head toward any single target or flight path.

But if he's got the spell active, he can maintain it or end it if he wants, but it should still be in effect.

Other than I would say a Character could Mentally turn themselves around with the Fly Spell active it looks like you basically agree with what I have said.

Slaved

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
The spell mentions needing to have your hands free, which I specified in my question.

The Climb skill also requires you to have your hands free.

My hands are free, and I'm paralyzed.

Your hands are free to Climb? It sounds like your hands are Paralyzed and thereby not free to Climb. Since Spider Climb modifies how a Character Climbs the Climbing rules should be used with any exceptions due to the Spell put into place.

Slaved

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
My hands are free - there's nothing in them.

What else can fly while paralyzed?

-Hyp.

The hands are not free to Climb. There is a rather large difference there along with the Climb Skill itself which needs to be referenced here.

If the Fly Spell gave the Character Wings which were used to fly you might be able to draw a comparison here but as it is you are simply ignoring Rules Text to no end.

Remove ads