• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Strength vs Dexterity imbalance cannot be solved without addressing the Melee vs Ranged Imbalance.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I ran a campaign starting at zero up to low teens where I used int for initiative & it went ok. We did 3d6 in order but reroll the whole array if you don't get 2 stats over 15. It didn't really help the evoker wizard much at all but was at least somewhat interesting in that the dexrogue didn't almost always go firstish. Since it's relevant int across the group was 15 on a druid, 13 scorlock , 11 rogue, 18 wiz, 15pally. In nearly any other game using normall stat generation noboody would have played the wizard & everyone would have an 8 int making it not very interesting. As you note, despite @FrogReaver's attempts to claim otherwise wizards just aren't that impressive in 5e compared to warlock & scorlock.

*Got it from one of coleville's videos... While it made for some interesting & unusual class choices forcing players outside their norms I'll probably not try it again in stock 5e as it made for some really powerful scorlocks in the group & the only characters who remained interesting to the end had a 3 in dex(fighter) or a 6 con(paladin).

When someone asks you repeatedly to leave them alone you are supposed to leave them alone. This is the fourth time now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
please stop replying to me on this topic. This makes the third time I’ve asked.

Mod Note:

In the incident you are trying to model this after, the situation was, "I will myself not engage in this part of the discussion, so please leave me out of it going forward". If you want to use that model, you must move on to another topic yourself.

If you have a problem with another poster in general, you can ask them to leave you alone, in general. But then, you should probably also use the Ignore function as well. While we will help support separation a bit, we are not your personal constant barrier from other people.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This. Take away Sharpshooter and Archery fighting style and all of a sudden melee is right back on top as the dominant damage-dealing mode.

Though, outside a battlemaster with precision attack - sharpshooter is only okay, even with archery style.

G

Guest 6801328

Maybe bow range and damage die should both be a function of Strength?

So at Str 10 and below you have piddly range and 1d4 damage, and at Str 20 you get massive range and do d12 damage. Or whatever the values are. But still use Dex for attack/damage rolls.

Or, better yet, put the breakpoints on odd values of Strength.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Nerf the -5/+10 feats all you have to do.
I think it is better to just make both power-attacks require Heavy weapons (only GWM does at present).

That is because it is worth preserving that the melee character at close range, foregoing a shield, correctly deals the most uncosted single-target damage. And Sharpshooter is surprisingly better-balanced if the power attack needs a heavy ranged weapon.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think it is better to just make both power-attacks require Heavy weapons (only GWM does at present).

That is because it is worth preserving that the melee character at close range, foregoing a shield, correctly deals the most uncosted single-target damage. And Sharpshooter is surprisingly better-balanced if the power attack needs a heavy ranged weapon.

They already do with 2d6 or 1d12 damage.

Remove ads