• backgrounds removed as much as possible

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • backgrounds in them

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I dont care, explain

Votes: 8 15.7%

Derren

Hero
I have no doubt that Gladiators were entertainers (similar in some aspects to todays WWF/WWE and Matadors) however when life and death is involved and given the history of Spartacus which is certainly true (NOT the series) I would have to argue the point that there were many a Gladiator that certainly could fight.

They could fight, but were not all that good in it compared to a professional soldier. So why would a regular D&D fighter, one who fights monsters in life and death situations, train to become a gladiator? Being a gladiator wouldn't teach him anything of use in a fight against monsters and would, compared to adventuring, be consider early retirement.
The "step down" in my original post was not about social status, after all gladiators were the pop stars of the time, but a step down in combat ability for a regular fighter.

The only thing which I would consider sensible would be the gladiator being specialized in fighting animals and animal like monsters as those werea typical opponent for them.

Last edited:

MJS

First Post
Backgrounds should, IMO, be a very short section giving examples, but not a part of the rules. The worst thing they could do is make a complicated, integrated background system of bonuses and penalties for munchkins to min/max over.

Sadras

Legend
They could fight, but were not all that good in it compared to a professional soldier. So why would a regular D&D fighter, one who fights monsters in life and death situations, train to become a gladiator? Being a gladiator wouldn't teach him anything of use in a fight against monsters and would, compared to adventuring, be consider early retirement.
The "step down" in my original post was not about social status, after all gladiators were the pop stars of the time, but a step down in combat ability for a regular fighter.

Taking it from an orthodox historical view point I very much agree with this sentiment. However, I think you are missing the big picture. Gladiator, Legionaire and Knight only begin at 3rd level - Legionaire would be a subclass of the Fighter - not a substitute for the Fighter Class. A Fighter will therefore not be taking that "step down" since one will either choose to be a Gladiator or a Legionaire depending on the background (using this loosely) or aspirations of one's character.

The only thing which I would consider sensible would be the gladiator being specialized in fighting animals and animal like monsters as those werea typical opponent for them.

Interesting observation. One could increase the possible selection of subclass features for the Gladiator.

Remove ads