D&D 5E Strixhaven: Orientation

WotC has released an overview of the upcoming Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos, as adventurers of levels 1-10 uncover a plot against the university. Teased are activities like tavern games, a magical frog race, an improv festival, and other social encounters. You can also take exams to improve your skills, join clubs, or get jobs. Also included is a bestiary of over 40 new creatures...

WotC has released an overview of the upcoming Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos, as adventurers of levels 1-10 uncover a plot against the university. Teased are activities like tavern games, a magical frog race, an improv festival, and other social encounters. You can also take exams to improve your skills, join clubs, or get jobs.

Also included is a bestiary of over 40 new creatures.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.13.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.15.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.16.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.18.06 PM.png

The Bibloplex contains most of the information in the multiverse. Plenty of other locations fill the book, such as Captain Dapplewing's Manor, a mansion built for the university professors. One adventure has the PCs breaking into the manor. Another adventure involves the main Strixhaven student sport, Mage Tower.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.18.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.23.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.22.35 PM.png

Oofta

Legend
Heh, it is more like the rich business owner who goes to all the parties. The nonmages will be important in their own right. Some might be attending their own military officer training.
It's all just speculation. I have no problem with an "Adventures Academy", I think that can be quite fun.

I just don't want to shoehorn in a PC that doesn't fit the Harry Potter theme. I don't want to have to explain why the cook is suddenly playing Not Quidditch with the rest of the group. To be honest, HP always kind of struck me as a bit elitist.

I'm sure we'll get more info when it's released. If my assumptions are correct (I think odds are about 50/50) then I think it's a missed opportunity and I won't be buying it.

Yaarel

He Mage
It's all just speculation. I have no problem with an "Adventures Academy", I think that can be quite fun.

I just don't want to shoehorn in a PC that doesn't fit the Harry Potter theme. I don't want to have to explain why the cook is suddenly playing Not Quidditch with the rest of the group. To be honest, HP always kind of struck me as a bit elitist.

I'm sure we'll get more info when it's released. If my assumptions are correct (I think odds are about 50/50) then I think it's a missed opportunity and I won't be buying it.

Personally, I am looking forward to an all-mage campaign. Finally. I hope it has magic items that improve spellcasting, the same way magic weapons and other items improve martial stats.

But if any players want a nonmage character. No problem. I will figure it out.

Oofta

Legend
Personally, I am looking forward to an all-mage campaign. Finally. I hope it has magic items that improve spellcasting, the same way magic weapons and other items improve martial stats.

But if any players want a nonmage character. No problem. I will figure it out.
I'm probably just having flashbacks to the last time I ran an all mage party. Despite every effort on my part, TPK. Twice.

But I also have a player that doesn't like running magic users of any sort. I don't want them to feel like a third wheel.

I hope it does well, it's just looks like it will not be the niche campaign setting for me.

Yaarel

He Mage
I'm probably just having flashbacks to the last time I ran an all mage party. Despite every effort on my part, TPK. Twice.
Heh, emphasis on Paladin being a mage too!

But I also have a player that doesn't like running magic users of any sort. I don't want them to feel like a third wheel.
Important.

I hope it does well, it's just looks like it will not be niche campaign setting for me.
Of course, a setting needs to be one that the DM wants to do. Just like a character needs to be one that the player wants to do.

Remove ads

Remove ads