WotC Strixhaven sounds like it'd be a nice mini-setting for D&D

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So, I don't play MTG, just Hearthstone, so I apologize for what may well be a dumb question:

Are there multiple modes of play for MTG? Is that what the magic sport shown in the first video is for? Otherwise, that seems like a lot of development and art for a background detail, unless they intend to use it elsewhere. (And it looks less implausible than Quidditch, which is good.)

Rikka66

Adventurer
So, I don't play MTG, just Hearthstone, so I apologize for what may well be a dumb question:

Are there multiple modes of play for MTG? Is that what the magic sport shown in the first video is for? Otherwise, that seems like a lot of development and art for a background detail, unless they intend to use it elsewhere. (And it looks less implausible than Quidditch, which is good.)

There are a lot of "modes" (they call them formats) in MTG. But the magic sport is just a background detail (that presumably will be represented on some cards).

Edit: I just realized what you're thinking of. MTG doesn't have single player modes like Hearthstone does.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

There are no dumb questions.

There are not different "modes" in Magic, though different cards can radically change the game. Mage tower has not shown up in any previewed cards yet (those will dribble out over the next few weeks, until the Set releases next month), so all I've seen is that video with the art bits. I would not be surprised if there is a cycle of cards which you could use as the center of a deck design.

They are putting a lot of work into world building for this intellectual property, which is fairly normal for Magic. I wouldn't have thought too much of it, but all those Owlfolk ...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Out of curiosity, I did a little digging about how Monks and Rangers have appeared in Magic over the years. Ranger is not a Class in Magic, with characters called "Rangers" Beign all over the place: Soldiers, Knights, Druids, Scouts, Archers, and so on.

However, Monks are a Class type used in Magic, and there are some interesting elements in another setting including Elder Dragon masters, Tarkir, where the Elder Dragon Ojutai has created an order of dedicated Kung Fu Monks similar to what appeared in the UA article:

1616800297264.png
1616800309735.png
1616800318093.png
1616800329492.png
1616800343850.png
1616800354369.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Previews still unfolding, as they shall for a couple weeks, but we got another Owlfolk today (like half a dozen Owlfolk starring on cards, so far) and a couple other anthropomorphic animals (including a Hall Monitor...who is a Monitor Lizard):

Spectacle-Mage.jpgShaman-Lizard.jpgMaster-Symmetrist-Strixhaven-Spoiler.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend

So, to answer this question, this is a potentially pretty good ticking time bomb card:

Attachments

• nbfykt0pidq61.png
    nbfykt0pidq61.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 124

Remove ads