WotC Strixhaven sounds like it'd be a nice mini-setting for D&D

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I don't really see grung as being typical wizard material, is there an illustration for this card? Candlekeep Mysteries revives Grippli. Their main gimmick is a shooting tongue attack which I can see PCs having fun with.

I have a grung wizard in my game. He loves being able to walk on the ceiling, jump to hard-to-reach places, poison folks who grapple him...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That also does a great job expanding the traditional view of necromancers. They're not just weird creeps hanging out in tombs. They're also weird creeps lurking in the swamps!

The Houses in Strixhaven are all built on oppositional combinations of the color wheel, and apparently focus on the tensions, like life and death with Green-Black, or nature vs. technology with Green-Blue.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1616714251520.png

1616714257970.png

1616714483241.png

1616714326334.png

1616714535372.png

Just to stir the pot again, more Strixhaven info is coming out. Here are some Owlfolk options, and an elite member of the "Dragonsguard" which appears to be a military organization in this world. Might be appropriate for those Monk and Ranger options...

Also, Dragons:

1616714414605.png

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
View attachment 134678
View attachment 134679
View attachment 134682
View attachment 134680
View attachment 134683

Just to stir the pot again, more Strixhaven info is coming out. Here are some Owlfolk options, and an elite member of the "Dragonsguard" which appears to be a military organization in this world. Might be appropriate for those Monk and Ranger options...

Also, Dragons:

View attachment 134681

I'm still not entirely convinced, but this does add more credence to the Strixhaven theory.

I'm still thinking the owlfolk is more coincidence than anything else, as there aren't really rabbitfolk, goblin-like fey, or even fairies shown much (or at all) in these promos.

I do like how my favorite MtG character, Liliana Vess, is in disguise as a teacher of the school. "Professor Onyx."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm still not entirely convinced, but this does add more credence to the Strixhaven theory.

I'm still thinking the owlfolk is more coincidence than anything else, as there aren't really rabbitfolk, goblin-like fey, or even fairies shown much (or at all) in these promos.

I do like how my favorite MtG character, Liliana Vess, is in disguise as a teacher of the school. "Professor Onyx."

They do seem to be having fun with returning characters.

We've had a couple dozen cards previewed so far, out of nearly 300 in the Set (IIRC the math correctly there), so there is room for even more diversity. St least three named Owlfolk is pretty striking, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, that certainly cements that owlfolk of some sort are there.

What are our outstanding draconic UA subclasses?

A Monk who has learned mystical secrets for m dragons or draconic spirits (the UA is a little fuzzy on fluff), and a Ranger who has a pet Drake who levels up with the Ranger and has some useful Pokemon abilities:

Thing is, both Subclasses seemed really odd when they came out and didn't have an obvious tie in to D&D history (unlike the glaringly obvious Ravenloft Subclasses it followed, which are coming out in Ravenloft), but would be perfect as members of "Dragonsguard" paramilitary force loyal to a cabal of Elder Dragon wizards.

Remove ads