D&D 5E Strixhaven Twitter Previews

Dire Bare

Legend
Well, I definitely don't agree with Theros/Ravnica feeling more at home in the D&D Multiverse (if we are arguing it is distinct from the MTG one), unless you are scrubbing those two worlds of big chunks of their history.

In Theros' example, a big chunk of its recent history has been impacted by Elspeth Tirel. Although one could just treat her like a person who knows Planeshift and is not a Planeswalker, she definitely doesn't have much in common with D&D wizards and is much more martial focused.

Ravnica's history is much more intertwined with Planeswalkers, so much so it would simply be nonsensical for that world to be part of the D&D Multiverse and not reference the Outer Planes. Its literally a extraplanar, diverse city much like Sigil, with travelers from everywhere. It being in the D&D Multiverse but not referencing anything from it doesn't make a whit of sense.
You're looking at these worlds from the MtG perspective, which is understandable, but . . .

In the D&D setting books, are planeswalkers like Elspeth and Jace even mentioned? I might need to go back and read the books again, but I don't think so.

If you take Theros, as presented in the Mythic Odysseys of Theros campaign book, how does that version of Theros fit into the D&D multiverse?

Using an expanded knowledge of the setting from the card game is a wonderful thing to do to flesh out your game, but . . . . it's not something your average D&D fan is going to be able to relate to, unless they're also into Magic.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You're looking at these worlds from the MtG perspective, which is understandable, but . . .

In the D&D setting books, are planeswalkers like Elspeth and Jace even mentioned? I might need to go back and read the books again, but I don't think so.

If you take Theros, as presented in the Mythic Odysseys of Theros campaign book, how does that version of Theros fit into the D&D multiverse?

Using an expanded knowledge of the setting from the card game is a wonderful thing to do to flesh out your game, but . . . . it's not something your average D&D fan is going to be able to relate to, unless they're also into Magic.

They are both mentioned, Jace because he was the living Guildpact, and Elspeth is mentioned several times, sometimes as the speaker in opening quotes for chapters. Jace is specifically called out as a Planeswalker. Elspeth is not, and there are little details in the book on who she is. Xenagos, the Planeswalker-turned-god who is also killed by Elspeth, is also mentioned (as is his brief godhood) but it does not mention Elspeth there.

As presented, Theros can fit into the D&D Multiverse, if you have the same thought process (and knowledge) as how Eberron fits into it. The outer cosmology is not mentioned at all, but if you are aware as to how Eberron is cut off (but still technically a part) of D&D Cosmology, you can imagine Theros fitting into it in the same way. That it is a world with its own small unique cosmology that is apart from the D&D cosmology, with its residents not knowing of a world beyond there own.

Could we spin Ravnica this way? Maybe... Jace is specifically mentioned as a Planeswalker, but no one else is. It is also mentioned that the Izzet League scientists study the Multiverse (but not what it is). So you could just spin it as Planeswalkers being powerful wizards (which Jace is) and it still kind of works.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m sad Owlin have arms and wings rather than just clawed wings, but easy fix. Then they can be related to my Owlbear - Giant owl - Owlin - Griffon continuum :)

Though I’m unlikely to play in Strixhaven I am intrigued about how the game is going to handle social play like ‘Romance’

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'll add, interesting how the Owlin race, from the MTG Plane of Strixhaven, references the Feywild, which is a D&D Plane. Subtle crossing of the streams there.

Another thing; my copy of The Wild Beyond the Witchlight arrived today, and Ellywick Tumblestrum is specifically described; "In some corners of the Multiverse, she is known as a Planeswalker."

No other mention hint of MTG I can see, and Ellywick is purposefully not statted. But interesting they mentioned Planeswalkers at all in an explicitly D&D book.

Scribe

Legend
Another thing; my copy of The Wild Beyond the Witchlight arrived today, and Ellywick Tumblestrum is specifically described; "In some corners of the Multiverse, she is known as a Planeswalker."

No other mention hint of MTG I can see, and Ellywick is purposefully not statted. But interesting they mentioned Planeswalkers at all in an explicitly D&D book.
I'm almost positive that term originated in Planescape. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm almost positive that term originated in Planescape. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Ellywick Tumblestrum is a Gnome Bard in MTG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms - her appearance in Witchlight really is a major crossover

another Ellywick was also used in 3.5 Players Handbook, so it seems she has a legacy too

Scribe

Legend
Ellywick Tumblestrum is a Gnome Bard in MTG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms - her appearance in Witchlight really is a major crossover

another Ellywick was also used in 3.5 Players Handbook, so it seems she has a legacy too
I know. I'm saying the Term itself, Planeswalker, was used in Planescape. I'm almost positive.

Dire Bare

Legend
I know. I'm saying the Term itself, Planeswalker, was used in Planescape. I'm almost positive.
Yes . . . . the term in Planescape was "planewalker" (minus the "s" in the middle) and referred to adventurer's who had the knowledge and tools to travel the planes. In D&D (well, 90's D&D anyways), planewalkers were those with specialized, secret, and esoteric knowledge of the cosmos and how to travel it.

In Magic, the term is "planeswalker" and has a slightly different meaning. Those who have the "spark", the natural ability, to travel between planes. In MtG, planeswalkers are almost like superheroes, as they have an ability average mortals do not, even powerful mortals, and also often have other fantastic powers granted by their spark.

Scribe

Legend
Yes . . . . the term in Planescape was "planewalker" (minus the "s" in the middle) and referred to adventurer's who had the knowledge and tools to travel the planes. In D&D (well, 90's D&D anyways), planewalkers were those with specialized, secret, and esoteric knowledge of the cosmos and how to travel it.
Perfect, thanks!

Remove ads