Pathfinder 2E Succubus on the offensive

CapnZapp

Legend
This post is primarily meant for Pathfinder 2 rules, but feel free to offer advice even if it is general to any edition of D&D. :)

The adventure I'm currently gamesmastering features one of these suckers. However, I'm toying with the idea to change the story arc from merely "behind the scenes manipulator that goes down in a fight once the heroes meet up with it" to "this really makes me understand how dangerous Succubi really can be".

So. Upfront, I'm not going to promise I will stick to every last bit of RAW, but I would like to know when and where I am winging it :) In short, how would the following approach work? Any advice on improvements? Feel free to point out where I'm breaking or bending a rule as written.

The non-spoilery background: There is a scripted encounter where the heroes finally catch up with the one corrupting their friends. It leads to combat, and the end of the Succubi. Let's call her Alenna. Now, what if Alenna the Succubi simply Dimension Doors away when she realizes the heroes are too strong for her? And vows to return to wreak havoc using what she's good at, instead of what the heroes are good at (combat).

Her plan is to find out the sexual preference of the heroes, take an appropriate form, and approach each of them individually (such as when they're shopping in a Magic Shoppe, or posing as a paying customer at the circus etc). One of them meets Stellan The Armorcrafter, another one meets Sue, a mother of three taking her brats to the Circus, and so on...

She will start by using no magic, and simply appearing charming and persuasive, claiming to be able to bolster their prowess. In addition to the listed stat block, the adventure itself sets a precedent of an extra damage die (described as "demonic corruption") or the ability to summon demonic allies. Just as the description says, she's not (only) about lust for carnal pleasures. Players are often interested in plus bonuses more ;-) Bonuses to attacks, to damage, to skills, to their circus performance... (they're circus performers).

Remember, the point here isn't to hose the players. The point is to impress them enough to go "woah, now I really understood how our earlier friends could become corrupted!". As far as costs and drawbacks, I'm content with even Drained 1. The main thing is giving the players a choice to roleplay their characters as being tempted. And to do that, they can't feel their character's life is on the line. So I'm probably not even going to mention the negative damage (since even 18 points of damage is less than half their hp) And of course, give them an opportunity to realize what's going on, set a trap for Alenna the temptress, and finally once and for all destroy her.

Anyway.

If general roleplay isn't enough to make them willingly accept her bonuses, Alenna can use Mind Reading and Suggestion.

What are the limits of these spells in this non-combat context? I'm guessing a PC needs to be lucky to resist (assuming the player suspects foul play and resists). The most interesting situation role-play-wise would be if some PCs successfully resist while others don't. Again: I'm not planning to have her force PCs to do stuff their player doesn't want them to do. Except what's clearly delimited by CRB effects, of course. (Nobody gets upset their character does stupid or offensive stuff when under the influence of a Confusion spell, for instance. Even though a player having his character attacking another character would normally be a big fun-killing no-no).

I'm guessing one or three saving throws is all that stands between a PC and doing whatever non-specific stuff Alenna needs them to do in order to justify getting her "upgrades". So one character runs back to their Circus to warn the others that Alenna is back. Another is just happy they've met Bob the Butcher who is not only their best new friend, but has also taught them how to gain +1 to their attacks.

Thoughts?

PS. The party will be level 5 when this happens, making Alenna's DC of 26 quite respectable still (especially assuming the -2 penalty for finding her good-looking)

dave2008

Legend
Ugh, I'm getting a feeling of deja vu! I think there has been a similar thread on these forums before. I will see what I can dig up. If I can't find it, maybe I can offer some help.

CapnZapp

Legend
Not what I was looking for, but some other succubus threads that might be helpful:
Need ideas/ help for succubus taking a soul
I love the 5e Succubus
Succubus Boss Fight
Thanks.

What I'm after is second opinions on the specific scenario:

"A succubus (in disguise) seeks out a sole player character during a trivial errand for a friendly chat."

The point is there's no lethal threat intended to the character, no combat encounter.
I respect the unwritten contract between players and GM that in order for players to allow their characters to act anywhere near normal between dungeons, instead of staying in paranoid murderhobo mode all the time, there can't be any reason to "never split the party" even during downtime. And so a monster seeking out a hero needs to do so peacefully

What can Mind Reading and Suggestion accomplish without the meeting going south? Ideally, these spells are only used to support a purely social encounter.

What actions do the character need to take to gain the Succubus' "gifts"? I'm thinking the Passionate Kiss can be reskinned as a blood bond (shedding a drop of blood each) or similar acts of "devoted agreement", in order to set up the Profane Gift.

I realize the Succubus could just ask the player character, and if so, give to a willing character. But I think it's best if the player expressly commits to his or her character participating in a "devoted agreement" of some sort.

Zapp

PS. As you likely have realized by now, none of the three linked threads were sufficiently relevant to help me. Thanks again, though.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm also interested in hearing what y'all think about the Succubi approaching several characters (during one and the same day of shopping, Earn Income or whatever).

Is it core to the mythology of the Lust Demon that it focuses on a single target at a time?

I could roll a dice to determine the single hero she targets. But wouldn't it be more fun to involve all players?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Is it core to the mythology of the Lust Demon that it focuses on a single target at a time?

If we're talking the real-world mythology, then it's that succubi are essentially rapists, since they show at night to have sex with men who would presumably otherwise say no, since monks needed a reason to explain why they'd had nocturnal emissions despite their vows. Likewise, the succubi would then turn into incubi and use the stolen seed to impregnate innocent young ladies, who needed to explain why they were pregnant despite swearing that they hadn't done anything untoward or illicit. The entire idea of succubi being temptresses doesn't really work with their traditional depictions, though portraying them as femme fatales works a little better.

dave2008

Legend
I'm also interested in hearing what y'all think about the Succubi approaching several characters (during one and the same day of shopping, Earn Income or whatever).

I could roll a dice to determine the single hero she targets. But wouldn't it be more fun to involve all players?
I think that makes absolute sense to me. I am not intimately familiar with succubus lore, but I think more than one target at a time seems acceptable. I can see how that would have benefits

pcrotteau

Explorer
During a casual meeting, in a market or shop, the demon could (accidentally) knock something over or drop it. The item doesn't have to be sharp, a sheet of paper would do.
A small cut, enough for a drop of blood as it is handed back to the villain, could give her the link to perform a couple of different rites, or link by profane bond. (unfortunately, its only on at a time)

CapnZapp

Legend
During a casual meeting, in a market or shop, the demon could (accidentally) knock something over or drop it. The item doesn't have to be sharp, a sheet of paper would do.
A small cut, enough for a drop of blood as it is handed back to the villain, could give her the link to perform a couple of different rites, or link by profane bond. (unfortunately, its only on at a time)
Thanks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases