Suggest a Feat for a Scout/Ranger

Greenfield

Adventurer
I run a Elven Scout/Ranger in our 3.5 game. He's just reached 12th level.

He has STR 15, DEX 20 (22 with item), CON 12, INT 14, WIS 12 and CHA 11. His BAB is 9.

His current feats are: Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Rapid Shot (from Ranger style), Swift Hunter, Tracking (from Ranger) and Weapon Focus in Longbow.

Obviously, he's a shootist, and is currently as close to an actual Rogue as the party has.

He's due for another feat. I already have something planned, but I'm always open to a better idea, if someone has one. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

N'raac

First Post
Not sure if Greenfield's group allows Races of the Wild, but it's a nice choice for a ranged combatant/sniper if they do.

Greenfield

Adventurer
It is a nice, versatile feat, but N'raac is right, Races of the Wild isn't an approved sourcebook for our campaign. It would be a judgment call on the part of the DM(s).

In any case, we've had a not-so-surprise development in the game. We decided to end the campaign where we are.

We normally run to level 20 or a bit higher, but as one player described it, we seemed to be just going through the motions. Our previous campaign was rolicking fun all around, and this one is more like grinding for levels.

So we're going to come up with a new campaign theme and start new characters from level one.

And, per group decision, we're starting with PHB, DMG and MM I only. Other books will be allowed as the campaign progresses.

We'll probably be starting with something like the Harn world map, for geography, with each of the players designing the kingdom or realm of their choice and placing them as they will. (That's how we've always done that.)

Being a product of the Punster Manual III myself, I'm thinking of a place called "The Bo'telle Valley", aka Bottleville, an area known for its wines, with an equally whiny monarch. I'll come up with several town and city names with puns built in.. I may overlay it as a Human or Elven kingdom that cohabitates with a Dwarven rulers holdings. Ironically, the Humans will control most of the hills (good grape growing country) while the Dwarves dominate in the valleys and flatlands (you need barley to brew bear, not grapes.) The mountains surrounding the region will, of course, be purely Dwarven. I'm not going to go that backwards.

So now I just need to come up with a character or three, a campaign theme, and some sort of opening adventure. No problem, I have all week. :)

Dandu

First Post
Being a product of the Punster Manual III myself, I'm thinking of a place called "The Bo'telle Valley", aka Bottleville, an area known for its wines, with an equally whiny monarch.

With plenty of nose, I take it.

So now I just need to come up with a character or three, a campaign theme, and some sort of opening adventure. No problem, I have all week.

The Bo'telle Valley

Episode Four: Sour Grapes

It is a time of great calamity. In a harbinger of times to come, the grapes of the Bo'telle famers have been affected by a terrible blight, which threatens to ruin the local economy and doom the kingdom to bankruptcy.

Suspecting interference from the tyrannical Order of 12, King Sangiovese II orders the Captain of the Guard, Cyrano de Cognac, to investigate the nearby Maceratino woods for the Order's druids, and scour them from the land.

Mounted atop his fastest horse, and with a cohort of trusted companions, Cyrano speeds towards the secluded woods, not knowing the secrets that it holds, or the terrible trap that await him...

Greenfield

Adventurer
I think he's got it! By George, I think he's got it.

My latest characters in our 5e game are the Rogue, M. Bessler (of M.Bessler and Sons, purveyors of fine goods), Maleas De Mayer the shipboard Cleric, and Bing Crossbow, the Bard.

Would you be horribly offended if I appropriated that character name? :)

Greenfield

Adventurer
Thanks.

I usually create two or three characters when we start a campaign. I never know in advance what the party will need, and I'm often the DM for the first adventure. The players encounter my potential characters in that adventure, and get to invite someone to join them.

I was thinking of a Cleric whose order advocates moderation, and forbids the consumption of alcohol. Also a Ranger or Fighter of some sort, some dashing gent who thinks that "Florentine Style" fencing is done with a blade in one hand and a glass of wine in the other. (Still not sure how to parry with a glass of wine, but hey, you've got to keep your priorities straight.) Finally, a Sorcerer or Wizard dedicated to travel. Specifically, he has creditors and/or some sort of Inquisition that is after him at home. Details will be fuzzy, but he finds travel good for his continued good health.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases