• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Sunset Riders Fantasy Western! (Campaign Setting thoughts)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
@Tonguez @DarkRainbowFiend @W'rkncacnter

Dragon robber barons still need to move their minions about and expand their territory. Plus all the Oil and materials they'll sell to add more to their hoards. And all the gold, cash, and gemstones that will be added to their hoards from all over the region, too.

As far as good dragons... Kinda wanna leave 'em out. Maybe they're dead or defeated. Maybe there's a few of them working in a resistance movement against the robber-barons... But if you've got a flight of golds the whole conceit kinda falls apart.

DiamondB

Explorer
@Steampunkette, here I am, tinkering with my derivative Western Europe-centered world, wrangling with how to integrate steampunk/western /pirate elements while still maintaining the traditional fantasy feel, and I stumble upon this, "a knight wearing black armor with a great coat and a tin star hunting down criminals." An incredible image now etched forever in the vision for my campaign world.
I love so much about your Western Fantasy idea that I'm now contemplating a complete reimagining of a world I've been building & rebuilding for nearly 30 years.

Steampunkette

Supporter
@Steampunkette, here I am, tinkering with my derivative Western Europe-centered world, wrangling with how to integrate steampunk/western /pirate elements while still maintaining the traditional fantasy feel, and I stumble upon this, "a knight wearing black armor with a great coat and a tin star hunting down criminals." An incredible image now etched forever in the vision for my campaign world.
I love so much about your Western Fantasy idea that I'm now contemplating a complete reimagining of a world I've been building & rebuilding for nearly 30 years.
To call that an ego boost would be downplaying the emotional impact this post has had on me.

Selganor

Adventurer
There was a brief time where cowboys and samurai coexisted in our time.
So you don't have to keep it "Western" (as in european), you can also add "Eastern" (as in asian) influences. (Adding those dragons into the mix could add another dimension)

But all this talk about "hidden" dragons also got me thinking in the direction of "Dark Sun".

Dragons, once bound to/manifesting as mountains or rivers "discovering" greed from the minds of newcomers, spiraling out of their self imposed bounds and try to expand their influence, maybe be increasing the reach of their minions by railways - some of them even cutting through the "bodies" of their opponents (corrupting them too)?

The Earth/River/Shadow dragons from A5E fit this way quite well and you don't have the problem with the "good/evil" dragon distinctions

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Supporter
There was a brief time where cowboys and samurai coexisted in our time.
So you don't have to keep it "Western" (as in european), you can also add "Eastern" (as in asian) influences. (Adding those dragons into the mix could add another dimension)

But all this talk about "hidden" dragons also got me thinking in the direction of "Dark Sun".

Dragons, once bound to/manifesting as mountains or rivers "discovering" greed from the minds of newcomers, spiraling out of their self imposed bounds and try to expand their influence, maybe be increasing the reach of their minions by railways - some of them even cutting through the "bodies" of their opponents (corrupting them too)?

The Earth/River/Shadow dragons from A5E fit this way quite well and you don't have the problem with the "good/evil" dragon distinctions
Largely true. Except that Shadow Dragons -are- Evil entities.

That said. I could use those three essence dragons as a basis and describe the Shadow Dragon as a Soulless dragon to place it firmly into the position of capitalist imperialist greed?

Could even go straight Ferngully with it and have some of the immigrants awaken a long-dormant dragon that was kept contained since time immemorial underneath the Acadian range of mountains... in fact... I know a great place to put it...

The equivalent of Centralia.

62970_16x9.jpg

If you don't know, Centralia has absolutely massive coal reserves like much of the area on and around the Appalachian mountains, since the trees and plants that grew and died, there, existed -before- decompositional bacteria evolved to break them down. We're talking -millions- of years of trees dying and not rotting. They'd just fall over, dry out, and lay there. Undisturbed by anything but wind and the occasional thunderstorm setting forest fires in scopes the likes of which humanity cannot conceive.

In Centralia Pennsylvania in 1962 one of the mines caught fire. And it's been burning ever since. Right under the feet of the residents for decades on end.

What if the great battle that shattered the peaks of the Acadian range was a battle to contain the last true Shadow Dragon? An entity of greed and corruption, torment and cruelty... unleashed by greedy fools who did not know the danger, did not heed the warnings, and delved to plunder resources they should never have taken.

A Railroad company, mining coal for its hungry beasts, awakening a terrible evil that takes control of their interests and enslaves their people to manifest its own greed, its own interests, at the expense of everyone and everything.

And now the setting has capitalism, imperialism, and environmental devastation as core political themes! I love it!

Could even have River and Earth dragons about the lands who oppose the Shadow Dragon and help mortals to build resistance movements against it, even though they dare not oppose it directly or they, and all they can offer to mortals, would be destroyed.

Ooooo....

Could add the dangers of Isolationism into the mix by having a large number of Earth and River dragons be unmoved by mortal plight. Unwilling to lift a talon to help them... At least until they, -themselves- are threatened by the Shadow Dragon's machinations...

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Yeah, I'm a little short of ideas about how to expand on this, but this is really naughty word brilliant.

Some mild thoughts:

The Earth or Shadow dragons could be present but weaker, CR 10 instead of CR 30. As such they could serve as allies, but you wouldn't have to explain why they hadn't chased off the evil red dragons.

There's a similar area in Turkmenistan, the Darvaza gas crater, also known was the Door to Hell or Gates to Hell:
They ignited a natural gas crater a while back to prevent escape of poisonous gases. Now of course IRL 'Gates to Hell' is a metaphor, but in a fantasy world, maybe it isn't.

The dragons could also be drawing power in some occult sense from the burning gas field--maybe red dragons are linked somehow to the elemental plane of fire--or hell. Nobody says you have to use the standard D&D cosmology.

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Supporter
This video has always reminded me of TTRPGs. I think it might work here.
Oh, absolutely. There's a -ton- of music that would really fit the setting in interesting ways. I also like Spiderbait's "Ghost Riders in the Sky" cover. And Ghoultown's "Drink with the Living Dead" as inspirational music for when I write about this stuff.

Wild Iron, though, is always my starter song to get the juices flowing for this and Martial Artistry.

Peter Martin even commented on how 'Galloping' beats in metal-country really evoke the hoofbeats and such. I can't fault him, honestly.

I've also snag youtube epic western mixes like this one:

Steampunkette

Supporter
Tossed this together quick... click the thumbnail for the 4k image.
Acadia.jpg

Dark green is "Heavily Forested". Mid-green is "Prairie/Grassland". Pale green is "Subtropical".

The yellow-white is pretty obviously desert. But orange is "Coral Highlands/High Desert". Brown is "Badlands"

Grey with snow is "Tundra". Green with snow is "Taiga".

Remove ads