Superhero Systems Needed

ValhallaGH

Explorer
General Four Color super heroics - Mutants & Masterminds (third edition by preference). Lots of flexibility, nearly infinite options (though it looks limited), easy game play (with as much 'in play' complexity as the Players and GM want to use) and no dice pools. The only real flaw is that the game is obscenely dangerous at low PLs (5 or less) - like real life, any attack can take you from fine to death's door.

Grittier, or lower-powered super heroics - Savage Worlds with the Super Powers Companion. You can still have seriously super characters, but you're Wolverine or Deadpool instead of Green Lantern or Superman. (You can ramp up to that cosmic threshold but it is a more obviously system-tweaked choice.) But it handles "street" level heroes much more readily. You could actually play a police officer in such a game and do fairly well - not fantastic, but still a useful contributor.
Oh, and almost anyone can be dropped at almost any time. That's the beauty of open-ended damage rolls.

Both systems are very easy to GM, once you get a basic familiarity with them. I strongly discourage players from playing Mimics or Shapeshifters - because those power sets require good rules mastery from the players, and change PC stats mid session in unpredictable ways.
For M&M, the whole is rather elegant, and there is certainly a way to make the powers do what you want - you can either take the time to make them do it or hand wave it and say "this happens". The beauty of the PL caps means that the GM doesn't have to work out how a power works, exactly, just what it does and what rank it is. Which lets you focus on the story. Also, Complication rock.
Savage Worlds is equally easy to GM - NPCs have whatever you say they have. Using the Super Powers Companion (SPC) complicates things some, since you have to make more nuanced rulings to keep the PCs balanced. Thankfully the truly excellent Pinnacle forums can provide great support for the harried or confused GM.

Best of luck.

Zaran

Adventurer
I think my all time favorite Superhero rule system will always be Mayfair's DC Heroes game. It did the best job at scaling a world with Superman and Batman and it's point system was versatile enough to do anything you could imagine. If you can get your hands on this or the Blood of Heroes game that was made with same system I would suggest that.

If you can't than it's the Mutant's and Masterminds bandwagon! (M&M 3e does scale pretty well, I just don't like the power stunting or extra effort stuff as much)

flyingcircus

First Post
Personally, I think M&M 2e or 3e both need to use 2d10 instead of a d20, it cuts down on the wild die swings, giving the heroes a better average roll, I have been using it and it works out allot better IMO and reminds me of DC HEROES dice system, not to mention gets the d20 taste out of the game. But I have to give my ultimate vote to DC UNIVERSE d6 system, we played the crap out of that system, I just wish they got the GL CORPS book out before they canned the game, I really enjoy running it and still do, it can run low level street heroes all the way up to Superman level heroes with no problems.
After that, I would say FASRIP MSHRP, still run that as well, great system and I hope the new one coming out is nothing like the Smallville game, that was just bunk IMO.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Personally, I think M&M 2e or 3e both need to use 2d10 instead of a d20, it cuts down on the wild die swings, giving the heroes a better average roll,

It might do that a little but you're also shorting them a little bit on the game's expectations for Damage saves and on crits (both will happen about 4% less often) unless you compensate for it.

Personally, I think M&M 2e or 3e both need to use 2d10 instead of a d20, it cuts down on the wild die swings, giving the heroes a better average roll,

The "problem" with bell-curve distributions is that it makes ad-hoc bonus / penalty assignments (and the value of small, constant bonuses or penalties) a lot harder to judge.

Giving a +2 bonus to someone's Diplomacy check in a normal d20 regime results in a change in success rate of 10% (except at the very, very ends of the spectrum, which are rarely encountered).

Giving a +2 bonus to someone's Diplomacy check in a 2d10 regime is +15% chance of success if the original roll had to be 10 or better, vs. 5% if it had to be 5 or better, and if you had to originally roll a 13 then +2 is a +19% chance of success.

Going from a +2 to a +3 bonus is worth (in total) +21% chance of success if you originally had to roll a 10 (+6% over +2), +6% if you had to roll a 5 (you can't fail, now), and +28% if you originally had to roll a 13 (+9% over a +2 bonus).

Also, "5 or better" becomes the new "Don't roll a 1" which could be a little odd (e.g., both have about 5% chances of failure).

I say "problem" in quotes because it isn't really a problem, it's just a potentially unforseen difficulty or wrinkle.

Kealios

Explorer

flyingcircus

First Post
Well I have had really no problems using the 2d10 vs. 1d20 and the players like the consistency of success more than the wild swings from the 1d20 rolls.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Well I have had really no problems using the 2d10 vs. 1d20 and the players like the consistency of success more than the wild swings from the 1d20 rolls.

It is true that 2d10 isn't outlandishly different from 1d20. You're usually not going to see many problems except at certain breakpoints and then probably only over the long haul of many repeated trials.

Do your players react any differently if anyone gets a critical (or do they even come up to the point you've noticed)? If they still come up only on a 20, they'd be about 5x rarer. That might make them feel extra special being that much more rare.

A

amerigoV

Grittier, or lower-powered super heroics - Savage Worlds with the Super Powers Companion. You can still have seriously super characters, but you're Wolverine or Deadpool instead of Green Lantern or Superman. (You can ramp up to that cosmic threshold but it is a more obviously system-tweaked choice.) But it handles "street" level heroes much more readily. You could actually play a police officer in such a game and do fairly well - not fantastic, but still a useful contributor.
Oh, and almost anyone can be dropped at almost any time. That's the beauty of open-ended damage rolls.

I've not been a big Supers player, but what I have played has been in Savage Worlds. The SPC (or Necessary Evil - a specific Supers setting with a nice twist on the genre) really does bring Supers to life. As Valhalla says, its a good X-Men level of game. If your players have played Savage Worlds before, it is a smooth step to adding Supers.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I'm more of a Champions guy myself but I know that game can be clunky since it's a toolkit rpg.

I thought Marvel RPG was fairly rules light, but that's been out of print for quite sometime. As for a current system, I don't know any rules light dedicated systems.

Remove ads