Superhero Systems Needed

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Well I have had really no problems using the 2d10 vs. 1d20 and the players like the consistency of success more than the wild swings from the 1d20 rolls.

The M&M 3e Game Master's guide includes two new rolling methods.

1. Roll 3d20 take the "middle" result (or any result that comes up twice). Hero points allow you to take the high result. It's suggested that any result that is the same on the three dice are treated as a major or auto success.
2. Roll 2d10 or roll 3d6 and adjust dcs to match new range)

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong

1. Roll 3d20 take the "middle" result (or any result that comes up twice). Hero points allow you to take the high result. It's suggested that any result that is the same on the three dice are treated as a major or auto success.

Interesting. Does the GM Guide give any advice on what types of supers games might benefit from those alternate rolling methods (like street level, cosmic etc.)?

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Unfortunately no. However they did mention that the rolls tend to be in the mid range and rarely roll high. As a result, I'm thinking it might work best for street level, gritty, or maybe more horror inspired campaigns.

Via Tapatalk

I don't think we have a great Super hero game yet.

I have both good and bad to say about: Super heros Unlimited, DCU d6, DCU mayfairgames, M&M1e,2e,3e(have only read 4e never tried yet), and a few others.

I wonder if the D&D 4e basic engine running something like a paper and dice version of City of Heroes would be a better fit.

I will say having the player base on the same page is 150x more important than rules. Nothing ruins a game faster then someone not likeing the superhero genra. (example 1: makeing a energy blaster with max range, and flight enough to go into orbit, and super sight to see. then only being orbital artillary, Example 2: having 3 super heros and a drug dealer/addict who wants the other 3 to join his band, Example 3: having a game in the DCU where a player refuses to not know clark kent is superman becuse it is so obvius, and Example 4: having a player in a street level grim and gritty world make up flash, and not understand why his up beat attitude and superspeed 12 is an issue in a pl8 game...

Walking Dad

First Post
Well I have had really no problems using the 2d10 vs. 1d20 and the players like the consistency of success more than the wild swings from the 1d20 rolls.

As he said. Not that using different dice is that original or far away from D&D, it is already in Unearthed Arcana (only for 3d6):
Bell Curve Rolls

they even included alternate critical hit numbers.

Remove ads