Superman & Lois

fba827

Adventurer
As an aside, it was hitting some similar story beats that Black Lightning (another show by same production team ) did.... the father who is trying to be a good father and his kids didn’t know his dual identity and the kids start developing powers.
Though I’m finding this writing a bit more grounded ( not intended as a ‘lightning’ not being ‘grounded’ joke but I’ll take it ;)

Though ( to me at least) one of the sons and off as excessively whiny beyond just angst at some points, so I hope that tones down a little but otherwise characters seemed written well for the show

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
As an aside, it was hitting some similar story beats that Black Lightning (another show by same production team ) did.... the father who is trying to be a good father and his kids didn’t know his dual identity and the kids start developing powers.
Though I’m finding this writing a bit more grounded ( not intended as a ‘lightning’ not being ‘grounded’ joke but I’ll take it ;)

Though ( to me at least) one of the sons and off as excessively whiny beyond just angst at some points, so I hope that tones down a little but otherwise characters seemed written well for the show
Really aside from him being a Family man working through his relationship with powered children I didnt see much similarity between Black Lghtning and this show.

I do agree though that Black Lightning needed to be more grounded, and with due respect to the original comic being based in the slums of Metropolis, the show just had too many ”in the hood” tropes - they even renamed the city Freeland!!

but so as not to rile up Morrus, yes I’m hoping Supes and Lois avoids the CW trap of too much whine

hopeless

Adventurer
Is it bad I'm hoping they crossover with them so Clark can discuss this with Jeff and they get to compare notes?

Regarding the kryptonite its possible that masked battle suit operator is from a parallel earth so that kryptonite might not be as effective as it would be if they used Kryptonite from this Earth.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Anti-inclusive content
What does that even mean?

And no, don't define "woke". What about Superman & Lois isn't "woke". Or, what is the wokeness you seem worried about?
Sorry for the delay on getting back, earlier talk was heard online, that a few writers that were let go before the airing, due to poor ideas they wanted to add changes to the story overall, one example was to change the race color of Kent's adoptive parents. Said writer got online after the pilot airing to state their 'grievance' of being let go, and there are issues going on with the show.

Judging from the ratings of late, the opposite shows otherwise. If said former changes were allowed to stay, methinks the reception of the show would have been quite different. So, behind the scenes someone or someones' finally came to their senses to deny this 'woke' business that crept into some shows of late and have been ruining them.

I believe a lot of people who invested into the show, did not want that to happen...

Stalker0

Legend
4 episodes in, and I'm liking what I've seen so far. I do appreciate that this is a different take on Superman, he's a bit older and more seasoned, he's an "old married man", but he still has the same family issues anyone has....except he also has to be superman.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...someone or someones' finally came to their senses to deny this 'woke' business ...

Mod Note:

Dismissing it as "woke business" has no semantic difference from dismissing people for being "SJWs". Please note how this is not acceptable under our terms and rules.

EN World supports inclusivity. If you want to actively reject it, do it on some other social media.

Dire Bare

Legend
Sorry for the delay on getting back, earlier talk was heard online, that a few writers that were let go before the airing, due to poor ideas they wanted to add changes to the story overall, one example was to change the race color of Kent's adoptive parents. Said writer got online after the pilot airing to state their 'grievance' of being let go, and there are issues going on with the show.

Judging from the ratings of late, the opposite shows otherwise. If said former changes were allowed to stay, methinks the reception of the show would have been quite different. So, behind the scenes someone or someones' finally came to their senses to deny this 'woke' business that crept into some shows of late and have been ruining them.

I believe a lot of people who invested into the show, did not want that to happen...
If the showrunners had changed the race of Martha and Johnathon Kent . . . . it certainly would have created a lot of nerdrage, but also a lot of attention for the show. Not that a new Superman show needs a marketing push . . .

But I would have been down with that. Martha and Johnathon being white is not central to their characters, IMO. And it would have given some interesting space to explore issues that Superman shows haven't in the past. A minority farming family in a very white Kansas rural town, raising a (seemingly) normal white boy who is actually even more "alien" than they are . . . . now I'm wishing they had gone that direction!

Of course, in the show we got, Johnathon has already passed, and Martha passes in the first episode. Race-bending the couple would probably only be worth it if they survive and play major roles in the first season at least. And the focus of "Superman & Lois" is Clark's current family struggles with being a dad and a father, and not batting a 100% on that . . . .

Guess I'm too woke for superhero shows . . . .

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought I said we weren’t having this conversation here. So why are people having this conversation here? Did I stutter? Are you folks seriously going to get a Superman thread closed?

For the last time: drop it. This is not a request.

manduck

Explorer
4 episodes in, and I'm liking what I've seen so far. I do appreciate that this is a different take on Superman, he's a bit older and more seasoned, he's an "old married man", but he still has the same family issues anyone has....except he also has to be superman.
I agree. The show does a great job of making the Superman moments heroic and awesome and making the Clark moments human and vulnerable. I also love Lois, who's just not going to be stopped or take any nonsense from anyone. The family dynamic is interesting and genuine. The whole cast is likable and does great. The show does a great job of showing lots of different perspectives on different problems and treating them all with respect. I love the burden Clark has to bear with his different responsibilities pulling him in different directions. Everyone has a valid viewpoint on how he should spend his time and they acknowledge the real emotions that come from what actually happens. It's very well done. I also like that Lois has her own villain to deal with. I was hoping this would be good and it turned out to be great.

Remove ads