• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Supernatural season finale (Spoilers)

Felon

First Post
My facetiousness goes unappreciated once again. :(

Wasn't too impressed with the first season of Supernatural myself. Thought it a tad by-the-numbers. Run from the monster, try to exploit its one weakness, but surprise it's not the actual weakness, and yikes it's almost too late to act. And somehow regressing to this inherently represent better "quality stories"?

I had the fortune to rediscover it in season three when it really picked up steam and yanked itself off the rails.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not necessarily mutually exclusive, you know.

Better and bigger need not be enemies. But when you've already done the apocalypse, getting bigger's not going to be easy. It seems to me they have more risk of disappointing if they try to top themselves and fail than if they just aim for good stories that don't try to be more epic.

The relationship and interactions of Sam and Dean did far more to make the series good than it's epic nature. So, if you want to continue the quality, concentrate first on that which gave you the quality to begin with.

Felon

First Post
I am. Not all the episodes are good. Most of them are but they can do better. It is the quality of the shows that will win the day. They don't need to go more epic to do that.
Yes, and they don't need to regress back to season one to do it either.

To clarify, I was saying nobody suggests that they intentionally write bad stories.

Crothian

First Post
Yes, and they don't need to regress back to season one to do it either.

They need to go to season 6. I'm not the one saying they need to go do season 1 or something like that. I don't know what they should do but I hope it will be something new. I just don't want them trying to out do themselves.

Felon

First Post
Well, it seems we can all agree we want quality stories. In that interest, it does occur to me that the antichrist is still running about. Maybe Sam and Dean could take him. He could be precocious and adorable, maybe have a catchphrase--something like "Don't look at me! I didn't kill them!"

Or, here's another thought: a couple of mismatched weddings.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Well, the CW gave a synopsis of the Season Six Status Quo:

9:00-10:00 P.M. "SUPERNATURAL"

Returning for its sixth season, this haunting series follows Sam and Dean Winchester, two brothers bound by tragedy and blood to their dangerous, other-worldly mission. This past season, Dean and Sam faced their toughest foe yet: the Devil himself. As the Apocalypse raged on around them, the brothers, aided only by a dwindling band of fellow hunters and rebel angel Castiel, sought a way to stop Lucifer and save the planet. Ultimately, they discovered a way to force Lucifer back into Hell and end the Apocalypse - but at tremendous cost: Sam's life. Season six will be a season of mystery and shadow. Heaven and Hell have been left in complete disarray since the apocalyptic events of season five. And now, monsters, angels and demons roam across a lawless and chaotic landscape. And so Dean Winchester, who has retired from hunting and sworn never to return, finds himself being pulled back into his old life - pulled back by none other than Sam Winchester, who has escaped from Hell. The two reunite to beat back the rising tide of creatures and demon-spawn, but they quickly realize that neither are who they used to be, their relationship isn't what it used to be, and that nothing is what it seems. The series stars Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester, Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester and Misha Collins as Castiel. SUPERNATURAL is from Warner Bros. Television in association with Wonderland Sound and Vision, with executive producers McG ("Nikita," "Charlie's Angels," "The O.C."), Eric Kripke ("Boogeyman"), Robert Singer ("Midnight Caller"), Sera Gamble, Ben Edlund and Phil Sgriccia.

I like almost all of that. The one part that gives me pause is this:

they quickly realize that neither are who they used to be, their relationship isn't what it used to be...

On the one hand, I realize that this has to be the case. Indeed, if they're going to showcase the aftermath of the apocalypse, said aftermath has to have some personal impact on the characters.

But there have been quite a few seaons already where one of the underlying plotlines was "the brothers try to restore their relationship," and it's very easy to overplay that. So I'm okay with this--if it's either resolved relatively quickly, leaving them to deal with other repurcussions, or if any new conflicts in their relationship aren't constantly front-and-center.

Everything else, though? Sounds like more or less exactly what I'm looking for in a sixth season. :)

Merkuri

Explorer
The one other thing I didn't report is it is being moved from Thursdays to Fridays.

What? What?? Noo!!

I don't really care, because if it plays on a night I can't watch it I'll just DVR it, but this show has ALWAYS been on Thursdays. They've even referenced it within the show itself (frex, Castiel's name).

coyote6

Adventurer
I guess teaming it up with Smallville makes some sense, but it's gonna be tough on my DVR. SyFy's stuff, Batman: Brave & the Bold, Clone Wars, and whatever else the networks come up with.

The summary doesn't sound bad; still curious about who's running the show now, though.

Oh, and it sounds like Castiel will be back, which is great, too.

Remove ads