• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Supposing D&D is gamist, what does that mean?

Hussar

Legend
@clearstream - I'm very confused where you're going here.

These models aren't meant to predict anything, any more than a genre taxonomy predicts anything about your latest novel. The models are meant to explain after the fact, and offer insight into why things happened in the past. The same way that genre cannot possibly predict if your novel is good or will be commercially successful. At best, all genre can do it tell you that this book is likely part of this genre and not that genre.

However, knowing the ins and outs of a genre will help you write a novel within that genre since you start to understand why certain things are the way they are within that genre. It's a guide, and it will give some helpful advice, but, that's about it.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Knowing the building codes for a particular locality doesn't give you any ability to predict what purpose a particular building is going to serve when built there. But it is extremely helpful if you want to build a building there without having to repeatedly modify it so that it's up to code.

Of course, there are no legal bodies that can condemn your game for failing to live up to any given classification model. But if the model is useful for zeroing in on observed patterns or known pitfalls, it can help. Not by predicting what you should do, but by pointing you to a body of information, or perhaps others who know the field and can help you navigate it.

clearstream

(He, Him)
@clearstream - I'm very confused where you're going here.

These models aren't meant to predict anything, any more than a genre taxonomy predicts anything about your latest novel.
Hmm... the blocker for me on that is a taxonomy doesn't make claims about incompatibility or dysfunction. My questions are formed around the presence of such claims in the theory.

However, knowing the ins and outs of a genre will help you write a novel within that genre since you start to understand why certain things are the way they are within that genre. It's a guide, and it will give some helpful advice, but, that's about it.
Would you characterise helpful advice as advice, that if followed, would with some likelihood lead to a better outcome or avoid a worse one?

clearstream

(He, Him)
Knowing the building codes for a particular locality doesn't give you any ability to predict what purpose a particular building is going to serve when built there. But it is extremely helpful if you want to build a building there without having to repeatedly modify it so that it's up to code.
Interesting point. I feel that building codes are built upon underlying observation, analysis and modelling, and amount to a prediction that where the code is not followed, some dysfunction will be likely to occur. An example might be a requirement for depth of foundations. Another might be to avoid unsatisfactory skylines or distressing conflicts in form.

Of course, there are no legal bodies that can condemn your game for failing to live up to any given classification model. But if the model is useful for zeroing in on observed patterns or known pitfalls, it can help. Not by predicting what you should do, but by pointing you to a body of information, or perhaps others who know the field and can help you navigate it.
I guess I must ask a similar question here to that I asked @Hussar. Would you say that help to navigate is help that if followed, is likely to see you navigate more successfully?

I think we can easily just grasp the nettle: GNS isn't predictive and therefore it can tell us nothing about what to do, avoid, or expect in our future game designs or play. It can only supply an interpretation and analysis of some objects of study that cannot be related to any future objects (no matter how similar in apparent type.)

Alternatively, we can take the other view: GNS can tell us something about future game designs and future play. For me that seems a very useful viewpoint, and it seems to be the view that many of the posts in this thread are predictated upon.

clearstream

(He, Him)
@Hussar @EzekielRaiden would I be misstating your views if I said that you agree as to predictive, provided we qualify as to the strength. You both used terms like helpful, possibly anticipating a weak or erratic correlation between the theory and game design and play, now and yet to happen. Does that sound right?

Ondath

Hero
But I don't see that as having much to do with different allocations of authority - those differences are genuine (player-authored quests; magic item wishlists) but modest. In a player-authored quest, it is still the GM who does the scene-framing. With a magic item wishlist, it is still the GM who decides when a treasure parcel is discovered.

I see it as having to do with how authorities are exercised. A player-authored quest obliges the GM to use their authority over scene-framing so as to advance the player's desired quest. A magic item wishlist obliges the GM to use their authority over when treasure is discovered so as to enable the player's PC to discover the desired magic item.
This has been particularly eye-opening about what makes 4E's treasure parcel system feel so different from other editions! I tried porting that to my 5E game following a homebrew document I found online, but it felt odd for a reason. Now I feel like it might have had to do with the more player-directed approach treasure parcels require (especially in terms of magic item wishlists), and the gamist way they seem to establish a party balance so that everyone is equally rewarded. That is completely opposite the simulationist way of generating treasure hoards when it's appropriate in the story in the way other editions seem to do. This also makes me question the gamist desire for balance that I subconsciously had in many of my homebrew rules like keeping tab on every magic item the party acquired so that I won't go overboard the magic item distribution table in Xanathar's, or how I try to keep close to the wealth by level tables some people designed by reverse engineering hoard rolls...

And I nearly forgot the question I wanted to ask you! What do you mean by player-authored quests? I couldn't find any info on it in the DMG, and when I look for info on this online, what comes up is people complaining about 4E making quests much more overtly gamist with things like index cards...

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I guess I must ask a similar question here to that I asked @Hussar. Would you say that help to navigate is help that if followed, is likely to see you navigate more successfully?
Sure, but I don't see that as being a matter of prediction. E.g., if I help someone to learn how to paint, it doesn't let them predict which brush strokes to make or which colors to use. The closest you get to "prediction" is the development of appropriate intuitions, "artist's eyes" and the like. E.g., learning how to paint will include color theory, which has certain limited "predictive" value (e.g. predicting that if you use color X, it will be unlikely to go well with color Y), but by and large is more just a matter of developing an understanding, and being aware of what things have worked for others before, so you can confidently choose whether to hew to or disregard convention.

I think we can easily just grasp the nettle: GNS isn't predictive and therefore it can tell us nothing about what to do, avoid, or expect in our future game designs or play. It can only supply an interpretation and analysis of some objects of study that cannot be related to any future objects (no matter how similar in apparent type.)

Alternatively, we can take the other view: GNS can tell us something about future game designs and future play. For me that seems a very useful viewpoint, and it seems to be the view that many of the posts in this thread are predictated upon.
Yeah I think you're using "predict" in a way, way, WAY broader sense than others are. You seem to see it as, "If we can derive literally any information from the theory, at all, about what is worth doing or might produce success, then it is predictive," and that's not generally how people think of "predictive" theory. E.g., I don't think most people would think of (say) "French Cuisine," as a form of "predictive theory," in the sense that it's much more about origin, observation, and classification than it is about "if I use ingredients X, Y, and Z and employ cooking techniques A and B, the resulting dish must be French cuisine."

Awareness of the preferred flavors of French cuisine and the preferred ingredients of French cuisine is not, generally speaking, particularly useful for its predictive value. That doesn't mean it provides no information, nor that these things are useless if you want to prepare French dishes--exactly the opposite, in fact, these things are essential for learning how to produce French cuisine. But they aren't useful because they're predictive. They're useful for developing useful intuitions (which can be "predictive" in an extremely loose sense).

Actually, here, let's use a more specifically practical example. The English language. Is "fluent in English" predictive of what neologisms will be successful as additions to English? I would argue no. If you want to invent new terms or usages in English, then intuitive understanding of what English "is" and "isn't" is going to be super, super useful. But there are tons of neologisms that never outlive the context they grew up in, and further significant ones that can't outlast the generation they came from. E.g., nobody uses "gas" in the sense of the phrase "he's a gas" anymore--meaning someone who makes you laugh a lot, so you breathe a lot, hence "gas"--even though it was quite popular in the early 20th century. Being a native English speaker provides pretty much zilch in terms of predicting whether terms will be accepted and stick around, and yet it is still useful, I would even say essential, if you want to try to coin new terms. If you can't speak English fluently, you will almost certainly struggle to coin new terms, unless you make such hilariously boneheaded mistakes that they become popular via comedy (see: English As She Is Spoke). And yet many, many English speakers have coined new terms...which failed to achieve wide acceptance. Consider, for example, that before we had settled on "science fiction" as the name for that genre of fiction concerned with the future and featuring various fictitious technological advances or discoveries, there was much debate about the proper term, and a leading competitor to "science fiction" was "pseudoscientific romance," a term you have most likely never heard unless you actively read fiction from the time (or responding to it in the decades following; I have only encountered it via Asimov.)

Awareness of how English works gives you "predictive" ability in a loose and intuitive way because, well, you hopefully develop the ability to "trust your ear"--if something sounds wrong to a native/fluent English speaker, that usually means it is wrong. But if your goal is to coin new terms, merely avoiding wrongness isn't enough, and no amount of fluency will get you to the point where you can truly "predict" whether your coinage will stand the test of time for a decade, let alone a century. Was Shakespeare's command of the English language something that allowed him to predict that "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy," would become words so iconic that even most school children have heard them despite knowing nothing of their context or meaning? I would argue absolutely the hell not, indeed, that his command of English could not possibly have predicted anything about his plays other than that they would be coherent for an audience to comprehend, and yet without that command of English, we could confidently predict that nothing he ever wrote would have survived to the modern day.

GNS is an attempt--I would argue a heavily flawed one, but one of the most full-throated and deeply-investigated--to develop "fluency" in what roleplaying games are for, their purposes and intentions. That fluency, if it could actually be achieved, would be as indispensible for developing new and audience-capturing games as "fluency with English" is for writing popular and audience-capturing plays. But that fluency will never be "predictive" in any durable, meaningful sense--such predictions may even be impossible.

@Hussar @EzekielRaiden would I be misstating your views if I said that you agree as to predictive, provided we qualify as to the strength. You both used terms like helpful, possibly anticipating a weak or erratic correlation between the theory and game design and play, now and yet to happen. Does that sound right?
I mean, I guess? See above.

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Honestly, it might just be the people I play with, but its gotten harder in general the last few years-- even when we were playing Masks, there was a lot of animosity towards internal struggle and complications. When people have tried it, the reception from the rest of the group has been somewhat lukewarm at best, with one exception in the Masks group I can think of who carried it off really well, and myself in another group.
Some people are just very used to a certain style of game (whatever has dominated their experience, which is usually trad D&D), and they have trouble shifting how they need to play other types of games. I think that is just as much true for doing Story Now as it is shifting from trad D&D to OSR. I’ve seen this with my group when we tried OSE and ran a Scum and Villainy campaign.

In the former, my players almost seemed to get it, but the wheels came off completely when they abandoned their excellent plan against some ghouls and tried to fight them straight up (narrator: this was a bad idea). That left a really sour taste in their mouths of the system, and I’ve had to work around it with our switch to WWN and my subsequent homebrew system. We’ve had a decent number of sessions since then (10+) but very, very little combat. I still worry that they’re going to do something ill-advised and learn that combat can still be very painful if they’re not careful. That almost happened last session when they decided to fight a banshee, but, fortunately for them, the converted banshee in advanced OSE is terrible (would use the ones from the Rules Cyclopedia next time, which is actually legitimately scary).

In our Scum and Villainy game, the GM wanted with a gameplay loop like Shadowrun that was easy to prep. Consequently, our missions were bookended by meetings with our client (i.e., a Mr Johnson) who would give us the job and then the reward at the end. It took some conversation with @Manbearcat and @Ovinomancer to realize we were getting drifted pretty hard away from the system’s intent (trad or possibly even neotrad). The other players weren’t quite into advocating hard for their characters either. They tended to treat it more like they were playing D&D and trying to avoid ever maxing their stress and incurring traumas. One of them mentioned to me that he wasn’t really into playing his character like driving a stolen car (as the GM had suggested we were supposed to do). However, I was.

Before we had to stop, I was starting to push back against the Mr Johnson structure. In our last session, I declared we were just going to go steal some Space Drugs for our pilot (because he’d said he wanted some). The GM admitted after the session that took him by surprise, but he was able to adapt his prep (you’re not supposed to really prep for Scum and Villainy beyond your faction clocks, as far as I’m aware). It was a pretty good session, and it easily had the most consequential outcome of any of the sessions we played. We got the loot (though, to my annoyance, he still worked a Mr Johnson structure in there), but our ship was impounded. Also, my character totally failed at his downtime activities and went on a sabbatical, so I switched to our alcoholic ship’s doctor who spent most of her time passed out in one of our storage compartments. Awesome!

And then we had to take a break because one of our players wasn’t able to play anymore. 😭

How is providing a pattern of pitfalls not a prediction of in what sort of conditions the pitfalls occur?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
How is providing a pattern of pitfalls not a prediction of in what sort of conditions the pitfalls occur?
If I show you a list of failed painters and their work, does that tell you how to paint masterpieces, or even how to avoid making bad paintings?

If I give you the collected poems of William Topaz McGonagall, the worst poet to ever grace the English language, does that tell you how to avoid writing bad poetry?

If I give you a list of failed attempts at coining new phrases, does that give you any information about how to predict whether your coinages will succeed?

Remove ads