D&D General Supposing D&D is gamist, what does that mean?

Hussar

Legend
I've made the claim that post AD&D2e versions have strong Dramatist elements, they're just ad-hoc rather than systemized for the most part.
Again, I don't think we're in disagreement here. The fact that your Dramatist elements are free form and not actually part of the system generally would imply to me that the system is at the very least agnostic about these elements. The mechanics might not directly work against you but, they're also not helping you at all.

IOW, at best we can say that some editions aren't hostile to drifting the game in a more Nar direction. That's not quite the same as saying that Nar/Dramatist play is a major (or even minor) part of the game.

I mean, I could fashion a Nar game out of Magic the Gathering cards. Hell, I DO fashion a Nar style game out of MtG cards for a character/group creation mini-game that I like to play in Session 0. Lay out a grid of about 64 MtG cards, chosen to be evocative of whatever theme of the campaign. Players take turns choosing one card per phase. In each phase, players choose one thing about that card - could be anything, art, text, colors, doesn't matter. So long as it's something on that card - that defines the element of that phase. The game lasts five (or possibly 6) phases. In the 4th and later phases, players may only choose cards from other players. These cards represent shared elements.

Phase 1 - Defines your central concept of the character. This is what this character is.
Phase 2 - Defines some goal for this character
Phase 3 - Defines some event in the past for this character.
Phase 4 - Choose a card from another player. This represents some connection between your character and whatever that card represents for that other player.
Phase 5 - Chose a card from a different player than in Phase 4. This This represents some connection between your character and whatever that card represents for that other player - Note, it is possible to choose a shared card, thus representing a link between your character and two other characters.
Phase 6 - (optional) Repeat Phase 5 but you may not choose a player from phase 4 or 5.

Now, this isn't really a full game. Of course it isn't. But, I'm now going to use all that material generated and that's going to help inform my decisions to challenge the party. Since I'm not really into Nar play, it's going to be largely material generated by me the GM, rather than the players, but, fair enough. I don't really do "no myth" play, so, this is going to be the foundational basis for this group which I'm then going to use to customize the campaign.

My point to all this being, none of this is based in D&D. I use this to inform my D&D play. But, it's 100% not part of D&D, so, I can't point to this as an example of how D&D supports Nar play.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Again, I don't think we're in disagreement here. The fact that your Dramatist elements are free form and not actually part of the system generally would imply to me that the system is at the very least agnostic about these elements. The mechanics might not directly work against you but, they're also not helping you at all.

IOW, at best we can say that some editions aren't hostile to drifting the game in a more Nar direction. That's not quite the same as saying that Nar/Dramatist play is a major (or even minor) part of the game.

I mean, I could fashion a Nar game out of Magic the Gathering cards. Hell, I DO fashion a Nar style game out of MtG cards for a character/group creation mini-game that I like to play in Session 0. Lay out a grid of about 64 MtG cards, chosen to be evocative of whatever theme of the campaign. Players take turns choosing one card per phase. In each phase, players choose one thing about that card - could be anything, art, text, colors, doesn't matter. So long as it's something on that card - that defines the element of that phase. The game lasts five (or possibly 6) phases. In the 4th and later phases, players may only choose cards from other players. These cards represent shared elements.

Phase 1 - Defines your central concept of the character. This is what this character is.
Phase 2 - Defines some goal for this character
Phase 3 - Defines some event in the past for this character.
Phase 4 - Choose a card from another player. This represents some connection between your character and whatever that card represents for that other player.
Phase 5 - Chose a card from a different player than in Phase 4. This This represents some connection between your character and whatever that card represents for that other player - Note, it is possible to choose a shared card, thus representing a link between your character and two other characters.
Phase 6 - (optional) Repeat Phase 5 but you may not choose a player from phase 4 or 5.

Now, this isn't really a full game. Of course it isn't. But, I'm now going to use all that material generated and that's going to help inform my decisions to challenge the party. Since I'm not really into Nar play, it's going to be largely material generated by me the GM, rather than the players, but, fair enough. I don't really do "no myth" play, so, this is going to be the foundational basis for this group which I'm then going to use to customize the campaign.

My point to all this being, none of this is based in D&D. I use this to inform my D&D play. But, it's 100% not part of D&D, so, I can't point to this as an example of how D&D supports Nar play.
"Freeform" means the system is "GM Says."

Thomas Shey

Legend

The system is, but the game isn't, if you understand the distinction I'm making. I won't speak of 5e directly (because as I've indicated I'm not a fan, so my knowledge of it is limited) but at least the 3e era clearly thought significant Dramatist elements would present, it just didn't provide any tools to really do it.

As you see, I kind of disagree, but that's because I think the overall presentation of the game is more than just the system.

This is extremely visible if you contrast how things tended to be presented in OD&D. OD&D was almost pure Gamism with some gestures toward Simulationism. It, at best, expected some Dramatist elements to fall in by accident, but didn't seem to think there it was desirable to emphasize them.

My suspicion is this started changing late AD&D1e period (I've seen suggestions of Dragonlance doing it, but I suspect it happened earlier when TSR started figuring out its player base was not just people doing fantasy heist games with a lot of Token play). But as has been noted, mechanics leaning into supporting dramatist concerns were only beginning to vaguely show up elsewhere, and they sure weren't in D&D. But the change from the OD&D period still became pronounced by the mid AD&D2 period.

So when people talk about the non-Gamist elements of D&D, that's likely what they're talking about. But as long as you limit it to game system you're absolutely right.

Hussar

Legend
The system is, but the game isn't, if you understand the distinction I'm making. I won't speak of 5e directly (because as I've indicated I'm not a fan, so my knowledge of it is limited) but at least the 3e era clearly thought significant Dramatist elements would present, it just didn't provide any tools to really do it.
No, I totally agree here. An RPG game is more than just the system. I've argued in the past that the system itself isn't actually a full game. That without all the stuff the players/GM of the system bring to the table, you can't actually do anything with an RPG. An RPG is a game building engine and that game will depend on so many factors both tangible and not.

Which is largely why you see so much pushback whenever someone says something like "D&D is gamist" for example. Systemwise, I don't think anyone can really deny that. Or, even something like "D&D is about combat" which tends to get a lot of pushback. But, systemwise, D&D is basically a combat engine with some bits and bobs glued on. Strip out all the mechanics related to combat from D&D, and you don't have a lot left. A minimalist skill system and... some class ribbons? That's about it.

But, what we play at the table is rarely just the mechanics. Which is where these discussions really grind up against people's experiences. So many times, one person is talking about the system alone, and the other person is talking about the game, which is a far more nebulous, abstract thing that is so idiosyncratic to each table.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
"touching narrativism" is hardly claiming that 4e is a Nar game. 4e is about the closest D&D has ever come towards Nar play and even then, it's not really all that close. It's still a heavily Gamist game in presentation and intent. Sure, that doesn't mean you couldn't lean harder on the Nar elements - things like Skill challenges, and player authored quests for example. Fair enough. But, even then, the rest of the game was still very heavily Gamist and one has only to look at the modules to see that.

I think it's a pretty fair point to say that D&D isn't really a Nar game, nor has it ever been. 4e flirted with some Nar elements, but, the toxic reaction to anything even smacking of drifting D&D away from Gamist play nipped that in the bud. Heck, the fact that most of the Nar element mechanics are still present in 5e, but, without any issue, mostly because it's buried so deeply behind very traditional verbiage shows just how deeply embedded gamist elements are in D&D.

Heck, the absolute head 'sploding that goes on when we suggest that maybe we don't need to tie races to specific classes to give advantages and disadvantages in play based on the race you take shows just how ingrained Gamist priorities are. Being able to create a character that fits a player's particular narrative needs takes a FAR backseat to forcing everyone to prioritize in-game advantages.
4e can easily drift into light Story Now play. Easily. However, I think that this is largely because 4e is largely gamist, and in a lot of cases the mechanics that enable gamism also can enable narrativism. Not always, but structurally these two approaches can be very similar. How the structures are used is where it differs. So, 4e has a few decidedly narratavist elements, but those can be leveraged because the nature of the system -- scene-based resource scheme, lack of need for pacing, etc -- all assist enabling the narrativist elements if you lean into them. If you missed the narrativist approach possible, then 4e is just a pretty hard-core gamist game.

And if you look at almost all of the complaints about 4e -- including those in this thread -- they're pretty clearly a conflict between a simulationist approach and the nature of the 4e system.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I have to say that to me the GDS model seems way more coherent and intuitive than the GNS model. I'm sure it has issues too like any such simplified categorisations, but at least it is not so obviously lopsided than GNS and manages to identify elements that actually exist in most RPGs to some significant degree.
GEN better still, as it moves away from grouping diversely complex objects of study into three sets based on the analyst's biases.

Because it fails to capture the unique appeal of those play spaces and combines things that are nothing alike.
Any schema with only three categories is going to combine things that are nothing alike, or to be more accurate - that are alike based on subjective appraisals. They appear alike because one adopts or empathises with the agendas.

Who? Who is claiming that D&D is anything other than mostly gamist at it's heart?
Although I overall admire and value what others have written in this thread, I find myself still dissatisfied on this score. We've had a lot of vigorous arm-waving gesturing toward and encompassing all the things that are gamism, without truly going beyond - it's challenge. Aside from the observation (e.g. in GEN) that challenge, story and consistency are not mutually exclusive, examples of the other two agendas contain and even emphasise challenge. Possibly one needs to get at forms of challenge to know more... hence my strawman of five challenges.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
The High Concept Simulation aspect of The Between features no Illusionism whatsoever. But, in my experience, Illusionism is quite often (due to system "not quite getting there") a hefty rider for HCS play (sufficient to control the trajectory of play much of the time.

As far as D&D editions go, I've played everything but OD&D. This is where I come down on them:

Moldvay Basic - Gamism

RC - Gamism OR High Concept Simulationism

1e - Gamism OR High Concept Simulationism + (very poor man's or retrograde) Process Simulationism

2e - High Concept Simulationism

3.x - Gamism possible at very low levels (E6) OR (very poor man's or retrograde) Process Simulationism + High Concept Simulationism

4e - Gamism OR Gamism/Narrativism hybrid (actual integration of the two)

5e - High Concept Simulationism

* Of note. Gamism in Moldvay Basic and RC and 1e are kindred (no surprise), with (IMO) the Gamism in MB and RC being superior to 1e. The Gamism in Moldvay Basic/RC/1e is somewhat different than what low level 3.x offers is quite different than what 1-30 4e offers.

2e doesn't offer Gamism because it stripped out most of the important tech that offered Gamism prior, is just a pile of kitchen-sink stuff, and embraces so deeply the Dragonlance/White Wolf Storytelling zeitgeist (which is anathema to Gamism and competitive integrity).

5e doesn't offer Gamism because it strips out so much of important tech that offered Gamism prior, has a horrific Encounter Budget paradigm and Adventuring Day balance paradigm, noncombat action resolution is deeply deeply GM fiat governed by a lot of storyteller impetus or content curation/spotlighting impetus (or arbitrarily so even if it isn't done uniformly), and the PCs are just so overwhelmingly powerful at the beginning of the game with all the resources they could possibly want due to Cantrips and Rituals.
That's really well put. To those of us who have played all or nearly all versions of D&D, 5e can feel like the version with the least emphasis on wargamerish challenge. One can't rule out the possibility that it is easily-overcome challenge, that is desired, rather than say steep-challenge: and that would still be challenge. That is, one perhaps shouldn't conflate focus on and satisfaction from challenge with focus on and satisfaction from steep challenge.

Aside from that, I think the ability checks system can pivot either way. The game text itself lets in a fiction-first approach. Calling for a check is placed in the hands of DM, and what puts the DM in position to call for a check is the doings of the imagined inhabitants of the game world. What follows is assigned to the DM to narrate, but system has its say. What 5e lacks (other than as an option in the DMG) is a method for dividing success into total success and success with complications. That may be something 6e incorporates as the d20 system is otherwise falling behind standard RPG tech in the respect. There's a good chance (not guaranteed) that 6e will see ability checks further improve.

[EDIT I notice I was drawn to write "wargamerish challenge" above. I wonder if that is the source of my discomfort with "gamist"? That what everyone describes is only a traditional wargamerish form of mechanical challenge. The space not covered by simulationist and narrativist, contains far more than that. One could say - oh well, keep "gamist", and come up with further subjective agendas, while feeling disappointed that narrativist was built on a far more robust feeling investigation of story than gamist has been on gameplay.)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I think @niklinna referred to this upthread:

Talk to someone who participates in role-playing, and focus on the precise and actual acts of role-playing themselves. Ask them, "Why do you role-play?" The most common answer is, "To have fun."

Again, stick to the role-playing itself. (The wholly social issues are real, such as "Wanting to hang out with my friends," but they are not the topic at hand.) Now ask, "What makes fun?" This may not be a verbal question, and it is best answered mainly through role-playing with people rather than listening to them. Time and inference are usually required.

In my experience, the answer turns out to be a version of one of the following terms. These terms, or modes, describe three distinct types of people's decisions and goals during play. . . .

Collectively, the three modes are called GNS. Stating "GNS," "GNS perspectives," or anything similar, is to refer to the diversity of approaches to play. One might refer to "GNS goals," in which case the meaning is, "whichever one might apply for this act of role-playing." . . .

Used properly, the terms apply only to decisions, not to whole persons nor to whole games. To be absolutely clear, to say that a person is (for example) Gamist, is only shorthand for saying, "This person tends to make role-playing decisions in line with Gamist goals." Similarly, to say that an RPG is (for example) Gamist, is only shorthand for saying, "This RPG's content facilitates Gamist concerns and decision-making." For better or for worse, both of these forms of shorthand are common.​

Upthread, I posted the following:

Gamist means (of a RPGer) advocating the gameplay, ie win-lose, aspect of RPGing or (of a RPG) pursuing or emphasising the gameplay, ie win-lose, aspect of RPGing.

Likewise for simulationist: it means (of a RPGer) advocating the simulation-like, ie exploration or experiential, aspect of RPGing or (of a RPG) pursuing or emphasising the simulation-like, ie exploration or experiential, aspect of RPGing.

<snip>

On the same pattern as the preceding, it means (of a RPGer) advocating the narrative-like aspect of RPGing or (of a RPG) pursuing or emphasising the narrative-like aspect of RPGing. The problem is that many RPGers think of the narrative-like aspect of RPGing as being told a story; whereas Edwards intends to pick up on the narrative-like aspect of RPGing that is telling a story.

If one is being told a story, the measure of the thing is was it entertaining, enthralling, etc. But if one is telling a story, the measure of the thing is was there a point to it?, or did I really have something worthwhile to say? That is what Edwards intends by narrativist RPGing.
So, to ask whether or not D&D is (eg) gamist is to ask what sort of RPGing do D&D players, on the whole advocate or else to ask what sort of RPGing does D&D, as a RPG, emphasise?

I've already given my views on this upthread to quite an extent, but will consolidate here:

Classic D&D, by which I mean OD&D as I understand it, B/X, and AD&D as presented by Gygax in his rulebooks and the modules he wrote, is gamist. By that I mean that it is presented as a game to support beating the dungeon. Other activity - wilderness and town adventures - is also flagged, but that seems ancillary either to dungeoneering, or to building up an army and wargaming.

It is clear that, from pretty early on, there were significant numbers of D&D players who were interested in something other than gamism. There were simulationist intuitions, clearly, pushing towards both a greater amount of fidelity to the internal logic of the fiction, even at the expense of game play. You can see this emerging in Gygax's DMG - where he talks about living, breathing dungeons without addressing how these completely undermine the advice in his PHB on successful adventuring. There is a lot of it in Dragon in the mid-80s.

Later AD&D books seem to advocate simulationist play - the Survival Guides, for instance, and OA. The latter has clear high concept sim aspirations. For me, playing OA was a springboard into story now RPGing, but I don't think what I and my friends were doing was very mainstream. It involved leaning into the backstory-and-theme aspects of the PCs, and as a GM following their leads and not exercising the degree of strong control over setting and how situation should evolve that is more typical of D&D, and high concept sim, GMing.

As @Ovinomancer and @AbdulAlhazred have said (or at least implied), AD&D 2nd ed is a strange game. Its PC build and combat rules are basically the same as Gygax's, and these are broadly gamist - there is the luck of the dice in PC gen, and the wargame-y aspect of D&D combat. But the advice to player and GMs is about subordinating all that, and going with "the story" even when that means ignoring dice rolls. (There is also the same system for spell memorisation as in classic D&D, but the dungeon-expedition-followed-by-a-rest cycle that gives it teeth for skilful players is downplayed or missing, so it just becomes "how magic works in D&D".) So the advocated play is high concept simulationism although the core mechanics point in a different direction. That is the sort of play I mostly saw in the 90s among 2nd ed AD&D players. In my experience it was fairly easy for a player with gamist priorities, and a bit of skill, to "break" or at least significantly disrupt the play at a typical AD&D 2nd ed table.

3E isn't a system I played much of, so my knowledge of it is mostly by reading others' reports of play. The PC build system seems to support gamist play ("optimisation"), although at higher levels it suffers from there being a few optimal choices amid the myriad that are presented. The combat system is recognisably similar to the classic one: there is a reduction in the metagame character of saving throws, to make them "make more sense" (and hose fighters in the process) but I think anyone who is really into process simulation of the RQ/RM style must find 3E pretty disappointing: it still has hit points, to hit determined by level, and classes as the framework for PC building.

The existence of a skill system reduces its suitability for the sort of out-of-combat, mapping-and-traps-and-tricks gamism supported by classic D&D, but is easily reconciled with high concept sim because the GM gets to decide what happens next even on a success (ie it is task-based, not conflict-based). The modules that I have seem to sit on a thin line between high concept simulationism and gamism. I assume this is deliberate design, trying to appeal to both of the main D&D markets. A common focus of discussion in the 3E era was the tension between high-concept sim modules and PC build gamism (ie if you design the module so that every party has a chance, where's the reward for building a rogue trap-disarmer or cleric undead-turner? but if you design the module to reward those build choices, the story will break down for other sorts of party compositions). This is not a surprise given the AD&D 2nd legacy plus the design features of 3E itself.

I've never heard of "story now" 3E play. It's probably no worse for it than AD&D, but I'm not absolutely sure of that: the steeper scaling in 3E compared to AD&D might generate pressure towards either GM curation (ie high concept sim) to keep things on track, or else gamism (with a focus on PC build, and making or finding the right magic items) to keep the PCs up to spec.

4e is, notoriously, not well-suited to process/purist-for-system simulation. I don't think it's well suited to high-concept sim either, as it gives players too many resources to make it easy for the GM to curate the events and the "story" of play.

I don't think that 4e, as presented in its rulebooks, is well-suited to the sort of gamist play one found in classic D&D, because of its emphasis on cutting to the action ("skipping the guards") and its use of skill challenges for resolving non-combat challenges. It can support a type of situation/encounter-oriented gamism. The XP rules, and general assumption of party play and party parity, mean that the win condition and real-world payoff is basically playing well and being high-fived by your friends for it.

The same features of 4e that support this sort of gamism - the encounter as a focus of play, the lack of rules that drag attention and play time away from the encounter, the intraparty balance, skill challenge non-combat resolution - all support story now play. In fact, I think skill challenges are better for story now play than gamist play, because from the gamist point of view they are rather weak - even half-hearted engagement with the fiction should enable the players most of the time to be making checks with reasonable prospects of success, and the penalties for losing are often rather light (eg surge loss, in a system that puts no especial weight on the adventuring day; or another XP-earning encounter). Whereas they are pretty good for story now play, as the concern for what it means to perform this action rather than that action introduces a new parameter into the choice of action declaration, and into the scope of GM-narrated consequences.

Rob Heinsoo mentioned the influence of indie RPGs from the start, and clearly DMG2 (and not just in the pacing and coauthorship bit written by Robin Laws) shows some awareness of the narrativist character of skill challenges.

The modules for 4e that I am familiar with - the HPE series - are not meaningfully different from 3E modules, and I think as presented are essentially incoherent relative to the game system. It's no surprise they're widely regarded as sucking.

5e seems to me to draw on the mathematical lessons of 4e to solve the PC build issues that plagued 3E. It is therefore, I suspect, less suited to "optimisation"-style gamism. (Are GWM and Sharpshooter exceptions? But no one is going to high five you for choosing those unless you're at a table isolated from the wider community conversation and you're picking up on them for the first time.) It is no better suited to classic D&D gamism than the preceding post-classic versions. Like 3E it can do combat-oriented gamism, but a lot of more "hardcore" players regard it as rather "easy mode"; and its out-of-combat resolution procedures make GM curation very straightforward.

So I think 5e is best suited for high concept sim, and as I posted upthread the "easy mode" aspect mostly solves the problem that untrammelled fortune mechanics can cause for high concept sim. It can also support gamism in the same way 2nd ed AD&D and 3E and even 4e did, but will probably need a bit more drifting/"amping up" given its default "easy mode".

I've tried to talk about both what the system facilitates and what the player base, as best I can make sense of them as a mass, is doing; and in the end, I land close enough to @Manbearcat.

Probably my one point of difference from Manbearcat, and @Ovinomancer, is on 4e: the happy player base was probably more gamist than anything else, while the unhappy player base were those trying to make it play in a sim fashion; but as a system I think it facilitates a light/low-risk narrativism as well as it does gamism. I agree with @Campbell that is probably doesn't facilitate that as well as Sorcerer, BitD or AW facilitate their (higher risk, at least for the first and last; I don't know BitD well enough to judge its emotional exposure/risk potential) narrativist play. In particular, the sheer intricacy of the combat resolution system has the real potential to drag play away from the dramatic/thematic focus, and resisting that requires the GM to work hard in their encounter building and action declarations for monsters and NPCs, and also requires the players to build their PCs in ways that are coherent with their conceptions of their dramatic needs and trajectories.

But the support the system does provide for that sort of play is more than trivial, and I think is more than just getting out of the way, though it does that too.

Last edited:

Remove ads