"Switching"

buzz

Adventurer
Long and rambling stuff to follow, FYI.

I was griping about Paizo's recent Pathfinder announcement, and in the process of that and talking to a friend of mine, I got to thinking.

We're talking about games.

We're not talking about a marriage, or a lifestyle choice, or a mortgage. We're not talking about anything irrevocable, or that defines us as people, or that demands allegiance.

We're talking about games.

D&D 3.5 is a game. D&D 4e is a game. The upcoming Pathfinder RPG is a game, too, just like Call of Cthulhu or Burning Wheel or Vampire. You may like playing some of those more than others. Likewise your friends.

There's no need to definitively choose, or pick a side, or "switch". An RPG is not who you are as a person. It's a game. A pastime. It's something you do with friends and acquaintances, just like basketball down at the park or Wii over at your pal Tony's house.

Ergo, I found myself wondering why I cared so much about Paizo's decision. Yeah, I was bummed a bit that Pathfinder wouldn't be 4e asap, but so what? My money will just go elsewhere (or even stay in my pocket). Or, heck, I'll keep my mind open and see where Paizo goes, and maybe play their game at some point. They certainly have never let me down in any other regard.

4e isn't a line in the sand. 4e is some books that I'll be buying in June. It doesn't make my (many, many, MANY) 3.5 books burst into flame, same as it doesn't make my copies of Trail of Cthulhu or Iron Heroes burst into flame, either.

I hear you saying: "Buzz, c'mon. My group is all gung-ho about 4e/3.5e/GURPS/etc. What if I'm not? What am I supposed to do? I don't wanna play 4e/3.5e/GURPS/etc."

You know what you do? You keep an open mind, and you talk to your group.

I feel strongly that you can't really judge an RPG until you play it. So, give that game your group is all psyched about a try. See if you like it. An informed opinion is worth way more than a plain ol' off-the-cuff opinion. If you end up not having fun, tell them.

Maybe you reach a compromise; you play Larry's 3.5 game for six sessions, then Sheri's 4e game for six sessions, then back to Larry's, etc. Or, maybe you just stop playing with those people. You keep in touch, go out to a movie or something, but you go and collect a new group that plays exactly what you want.

I know that's not always easy, but that's life. Life is change.

Now, in that Paizo thread, someone put forth the idea that this edition divisiveness is WotC's fault. I don't really buy that. WotC produces new editions of the game, ideally aimed at improving it or making it more appealing, that same way that auto companies produce new cars, or software companies sell upgrades. Again, this is just how life works. WotC does it, TSR did it, WW does it, GR does it, etc, etc.

Honestly, I think if anyone is really at fault, it's the subculture. The whole reason I wrote the rant you see above is because, IMO, we have met the enemy, and it is us.

We are the ones drawing lines in the sand. We are the ones confusing the games we play with who we are. We are the ones demanding people pick sides.

If we as a community (such as it is), as a subculture, want to keep this community healthy, this needs to stop, IMO.

I look forward to when 4e is released and there's no longer a need for a separate forum here on ENworld, and 4e can be just another category you assign to your post.

As for my group, I'm going to keep an open mind. Some of us are excited about 4e, some of us aren't. I'm hoping we can play some 4e ('cause I'm diggin' it), but that we can also work in some other games everyone can enjoy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Thank you for writing this very eloquent post. I think some of us forget sometimes that this is a hobby, not a way of life. I think sometimes some of us (the gaming group I belong to, for instance) forget that this is a game, and if we're not having fun, go do something else (whether it be to play another game, edition thereof, or something entirely unrelated).

Anyway, thank you, buzz, for your post. :)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Very well put buzz. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I do like to keep an open mind about everything, and I'll try anything (some long as it doesn't harm myself or others) once. What it comes down to to is the amount of pleasure garnered from the experience.

Me, I'm a certified 3.5 lover, but that doesn't mean I'm a 4.0 hater. I will be buying the 4.0 rulebooks and regardless of how much I dislike it, I'm not not going to ever play it. If presented with a group of gamers that prefers 4E I'd rather play than not play.

JeffB

Legend
I was going to post something to this effect a couple of days ago.

I've never really taken RPG's very seriously..at least not like how I perceive some people do around here: I don't get into the rule minutiae and siimulationism vs gamism, and don't care that 1E had level limits or stuff like that. Its always been a GAME. Like Chutes And Ladders. Or Candyland. Or Monopoly. Or Cops & Robbers.

But dangit sometimes, I get really emotionally charged about something I read here and off into the fray I go. IDK why!! ??? Then I always cool myself down and realize I'm being really stupid and childish. It's a make believe game about elves and dragons and goblins.

It really *is* ridiculous how each and every one of us argue around here about a silly (but fun) little game of make believe.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
buzz said:
Honestly, I think if anyone is really at fault, it's the subculture. The whole reason I wrote the rant you see above is because, IMO, we have met the enemy, and it is us.

We are the ones drawing lines in the sand. We are the ones confusing the games we play with who we are. We are the ones demanding people pick sides.

If we as a community (such as it is), as a subculture, want to keep this community healthy, this needs to stop, IMO.

You, buzz, deserve a cookie. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I don't believe the phenomenon you see here limited to these forums, or even to gaming. I think there's a larger phenomenon going on, and right here we have a goodly trigger for pushing people's buttons.

However, right here we have a goodly venue for fighting the larger phenomenon. We all have something in common, and we can as easily use that in a constructive manner, rather than a destructive one. All we have to do is remember to try.

The Golden Rule - use it, in enlightened self interest.

buzz

Adventurer
JeffB said:
But dangit sometimes, I get really emotionally charged about something I read here and off into the fray I go. IDK why!! ??? Then I always cool myself down and realize I'm being really stupid and childish. It's a make believe game about elves and dragons and goblins.
I'm certainly guilty of this, too. A lot of my rant was a rant at myself. I don't disavow everything I said in the Paizo thread, but I honestly don't know why I was so worked up about it. It's a game. One I'm passionate about, but a game nonetheless.

Also, thanks for the kinds words, folks.

JeffB

Legend
buzz said:
I'm certainly guilty of this, too. A lot of my rant was a rant at myself. I don't disavow everything I said in the Paizo thread, but I honestly don't know why I was so worked up about it. It's a game. One I'm passionate about, but a game nonetheless.

Also, thanks for the kinds words, folks.

MY MAKE BELIEVE IS BETTER THAN YOUR MAKE BELIEVE!!! :lol:

:D

buzz said:
This phrase in particular I don't get. What is this "community", why should I care about it and it's health?

And actually, controversy, if anything, does more to keep it healthy than anything else, because it brings people out, stirs up their interest and keeps it at a high level.

There's one component of the "it's just a game" concept that's missing from this thread. We're not talking about something that's as simple and cheap to pick up as a deck of playing cards or Uno. RPGs typically involve complex comprehensive rules that require an immense amount of time and effort to learn and understand. Many players are limited in time and focus and are reluctant to reinvest their time and money into something new. Not everyone is gun ho about learning and purchasing a wide range of RPGs with different rules.

Having said all of that, there's no excuse for anyone to bash anyone else's decision to use one system over another, but I can understand why those who have made the investment in one game system would be disappointed in a company's decision to publish a game for one system vs. another. Paizo fans invested in v3.5 might be frustrated if Paizo published for 4e. Paizo fans who want to invest in 4e for the sake of future inclusion might be disappointed in Paizo's decision to create a v3.75 system based on v3.5.

Ultimately, though, there's no reason for any sort of aggressive behavior from anyone, because in that scope, it is in fact just a game of make-believe.

Remove ads