"Switching"

Pierson_Lowgal

First Post
We're not talking about a marriage, or a lifestyle choice, or a mortgage. We're not talking about anything irrevocable, or that defines us as people, or that demands allegiance.

I hold the opposite view to the author of this thread. What is ENWorld going to be like with so many people not moving on to 4th Edition? I view it as the sundering of a family, and I'm sad about it.

Games may be trivial compared to open-heart surgery, but they are a very important part of who many of us are. If you've posted on this board 500 times, you have a meaningful relationship to this place, just the same as if you were a member of the Elks Lodge or the Rotary Club. Those are the kinds of things that DO define you. And many of the people in ENWorld's extended family have decided to stop traveling on the same path I plan to travel. Oh, they may be on a parallel or similar road, but it won't ever be the same.

hong

WotC's bitch
Pierson_Lowgal said:
I hold the opposite view to the author of this thread. What is ENWorld going to be like with so many people not moving on to 4th Edition? I view it as the sundering of a family, and I'm sad about it.

Games may be trivial compared to open-heart surgery, but they are a very important part of who many of us are. If you've posted on this board 500 times, you have a meaningful relationship to this place, just the same as if you were a member of the Elks Lodge or the Rotary Club. Those are the kinds of things that DO define you. And many of the people in ENWorld's extended family have decided to stop traveling on the same path I plan to travel. Oh, they may be on a parallel or similar road, but it won't ever be the same.
Me, I'll just go back to playing Guild Wars.

buzz

Adventurer
Pierson_Lowgal said:
What is ENWorld going to be like with so many people not moving on to 4th Edition?
I don't really know that there are so many. And even if there were, is it such a big deal? There's diversity right now: OD&D (diaglo!), 1e, 2e, 3.5, C&C, True20, AE, IH, d20M... not to mention a good chunk of WFRPG fans.

You can tell from my post-count that I obviously do care about ENWorld. I'd like to think, however, that it can weather some new books coming out from WotC. If it can't, because people feel the need to take D&D that seriously, then I don't know if it deserves to survive.

Agamon

Adventurer
buzz said:
I don't really know that there are so many. And even if there were, is it such a big deal? There's diversity right now: OD&D (diaglo!), 1e, 2e, 3.5, C&C, True20, AE, IH, d20M... not to mention a good chunk of WFRPG fans.

I agree. There's always been non-3E fans here, and even at Eric's version of the site way back.

If people would rather playtest a game for a year that we've pretty much already played for eight years rather than play a new game, good for them. I'm glad there's an outlet for the people that didn't want to switch, I think Paizo found a good niche to support. Speaking of which, some PFRPG players will still post here, but if it were me, I'd go to the Paizo boards first and foremost, right?

Remove ads