SWORD COAST LEGENDS Impressions from E3

Sword Coast Legends was one of the many games on display at E3 this week. MMORPG.com was able to try it out. "TheHiveLeader got some hands-on time with the upcoming RPG, Sword Coast Legends. Also, Bill Murphy is a jerk of a DM. Also, we sadly were not able to get gameplay footage from the game, so the video is from the trailer for the game." This short (2 minute) video provides a quick overview. "Holy crap! Sword Coast Legends is good!" They briefly touch on the DM tools, too, which I know a lot of people are very eager to hear more about.

Sword Coast Legends was one of the many games on display at E3 this week. MMORPG.com was able to try it out. "TheHiveLeader got some hands-on time with the upcoming RPG, Sword Coast Legends. Also, Bill Murphy is a jerk of a DM. Also, we sadly were not able to get gameplay footage from the game, so the video is from the trailer for the game." This short (2 minute) video provides a quick overview. "Holy crap! Sword Coast Legends is good!" They briefly touch on the DM tools, too, which I know a lot of people are very eager to hear more about.

[video=youtube;lGfAajHj0OM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGfAajHj0OM[/video]

TheSwartz

Explorer
I'm not hurt that there isnt a bard, but where is my Sorcerer, Druid or Paladin? Hopefully if they are saying 6 classes, 2 of the three will be in there.
Of course we have to wait and see, but N-space has clearly stated that they intend to do more races and classes, its just that they had to start with a smaller scope initially to put out a quality product from the start.

Mephistopheles

First Post
If you haven't already, check out Pillars of Eternity. Its the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate, made by largely the same team. Its a return to the party based RPG's of old, with a good story and interesting NPC companions (with the option to make your entire party if you dont want to use any of the pre-gens). The world fluff is also really well developed IMO.

I'd second that recommendation. I really liked the setting and lore. I felt the NPC companions were probably the weakest element of the game; it's possible I'm just spoiled from playing a lot of Baldur's Gate augmented with a decade plus of community mods that, among other things, fleshed out the companions.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I pre-ordered this a couple months ago and getting jazzed even more as I see more in game play and reviews, it looks like solid gold to me.

DaveDash

Explorer
There's two DM modes. One is you follow the players on the fly through a dungeon and add in ambushes, encounters, secret doors, and traps. You can also control creatures and NPCs and rebalance encounters on the fly. Looks fun.

Then there's the full campaign mode where you build everything yourself. Not sure how that will work on consoles. I imagine its like the NWN Toolset and DM mode. I don't know a lot about it yet.

I hope it is not like D&D Daggerdale ( that I played on Xbox 360). One thing I didnt like about that game was that the characters were pre-set...want to play a Wizard, you're the halfling, want to be a Cleric, you're the Dwarf (I hope you can actually create rather than in Daggerdale, you just chose one).

`From looking at the character page at Swordcoast.com
Sword Coast Characters:
Fighter: Halfling Male or Shield Dwarf Female
Ranger: Halfling Female
Rogue: Derro Male or Gold Dwarf Male
Wizard: Human Male or Moon Elf Male
Cleric: Moon Elf Female

I'm not hurt that there isnt a bard, but where is my Sorcerer, Druid or Paladin? Hopefully if they are saying 6 classes, 2 of the three will be in there.

I'm curious if the DM tools for PS4 will let you create NPCs and their text? Now THAT would be cool.

We have known for a while that you create your own character. Those characters are companion's.

Ashrym

Legend
Of course we have to wait and see, but N-space has clearly stated that they intend to do more races and classes, its just that they had to start with a smaller scope initially to put out a quality product from the start.

I thought one of the release articles stated cleric, fighter, paladin, ranger, rogue, and wizard already. I might try to hunt it down later.

None of those is really a surprise. I would have preferred a bard to a paladin (no bard option is an extra large check in the cons list for me), but the game looks pretty good from what I have seen so far.

Remove ads

Remove ads