• Bladesinger - Elvish flavored wizard/fighter x-over

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Duskblade - Elvish flavored fighter with some spellcasting

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Hexblade - Gloomy fighter with some magic

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Swordmage - Elemtal bang and teleports

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • No special rules. Decent multiclassing is all I need.

Votes: 51 54.8%

1of3

Explorer
Hi,

there is one type of character that got several takes but none stuck: The swordwielding arcanist. There have been Bladesingers, Hexblades, Duskblades, Swordmages.

Bladesingers/Duskblades occupy the same thematic nieche: Elvish sword-wizardry. While the Bladesinger, both 3e and 4e, had access to usual wizard spells, the Duskblade had a very list specific to swordplay.

The Hexblade, of course is a darker fellow, using curses, shadow companions, conjured weapons etc.

The swordmage is known for elemental attacks and teleports. They are less about applying spells to fighting, but transfering fighting as a whole into the magical sphere.

So what do you like?

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think decent multiclassing would be fine.

I do like Hexblades for flavor, though the mechanics left something to be desired.

Khaalis

Adventurer
The real issue I think is that you can't have a true class that is both Fighter and Wizard (for instance). The ideas don't marry. Such a class needs to be looked at with a particular niche in mind. Just a fighter who also has a spellbook and cast any wizardy spell doesn't quite work for balance reasons. For this type of use, simple multiclassing should suffice. For a true blend... you need more. A class like this needs a focus.

The 4E swordmage was a step in the right direction, if not for the foibles of 4E and being too pigeonholed. The concept was sound however in that it is the first true mesh of warrior and magic in a good theme. Most other attempts were usually like bad patch jobs. The hexblade I think came closest to this from the d20 perspective.

Dausuul

Legend
I vote for decent multiclassing.

Bladesinger = elf fighter/wizard.
Duskblade = elf fighter/wizard, take two.
Hexblade = fighter/warlock.
Swordmage = fighter/sorceror.

It might be necessary to add a few spells/powers to each class for melee self-buffs, but I don't think a whole separate class is necessary.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
The swordmage is the only viable character class on the list that isn't broken, but I do think a mechanic for viable multiclass casters is a much better option.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I agree with Khaalis. There needs to be a better implementation of magical warrior than a classic multiclass. Swordmage and Hexblade are good themes to expand on. Having a curse throwing, shadow conjuring combatant is nice. Also, a warrior who enhances his attacks and defense with magic is great. Do we need to have another class to do this though?
There are plenty of buff and debuff spells that can be channeled through a weapon or at close range. The AC boost of bladesong or Swordmage focus would need a mechanic or spell to work in. Feat or theme could work.

Dausuul

Legend
I agree with Khaalis. There needs to be a better implementation of magical warrior than a classic multiclass.

This sounds like a case for a better multiclass system, not a whole other class. If a multi-classed fighter/wizard can't perform the "magical warrior" function adequately, what the heck is the point of a fighter/wizard?

Remove ads