• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword-wielding Arcanists

What's your favorite?

• Bladesinger - Elvish flavored wizard/fighter x-over

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Duskblade - Elvish flavored fighter with some spellcasting

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Hexblade - Gloomy fighter with some magic

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Swordmage - Elemtal bang and teleports

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • No special rules. Decent multiclassing is all I need.

Votes: 51 54.8%

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
This sounds like a case for a better multiclass system, not a whole other class. If a multi-classed fighter/wizard can't perform the "magical warrior" function adequately, what the heck is the point of a fighter/wizard?
This, one million times, this! If the multiclass system can't support certain caster archetypes, but it can handle non-caster archetypes, why even have multiclassing at all?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The Moldvay Elf.

moldvayelf.jpg

And not just for their looks.

1of3

Explorer
Here's the problem. A wizard with a sword. If you are a wizard, while waste your time using the sword when you could cast spells?

I admit, it took me some time to make up a title. I'm not sure it's perfect myself.

On a related note: Why be paladin when you can be a cleric?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The question of "archetype" here, is of the utmost importance.

Namely, does this mean a "magic-using warrior" or a "weapon-using/decently tough magic-user"?

My own, homebrewed, "Battlemage" is more the latter. Allowances for armor, short of chainmail. Swords (any except 2-handed), spears and other single-handed blades/weapons are fair game. Allowances for bucklers and small shields. It also comes with racial and ethnic restrictions (must be from/trained in this particular magic-using nation, only!).

But, like I said, that's my take on the latter.

Or are people looking for a B/X-BECMI "Elf" where chain (or even plate) is ok, bows are ok, 2-handed anything is ok...basically a "Full" fighter with a fluffy spell-casting frosting on top?

Or would a "Jedi-esque" middle of the road suit everyone's tastes...Chain and Scale are ok, but not full on armored/plate...one hand must be free (no or limited shield use) for casting...or innate sorcerer/psion-type "powers."

And then, if you're going to have any of those...is a "Rogue/MU" archetype, for the Grey Mouser and other sneaky lightly-armored,"Arcane Archer"/spell-casting rangers types, necessary as well?

I think it is an archetype that deserves attention...I'm just not sure that anything other than "Fighter/Magic-user" (or Rogue/Magic-user) is necessary.
--SD

Last edited:

Yora

Legend
On a related note: Why be paladin when you can be a cleric?
Nobody knows! It may have made sense when the class was originally created, but starting with 3rd Edition at the latest, it has become redundant to the point where a cleric can do everything as well, plus a lot more.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
None of the above. I like having a blend, and not just leaving it to multiclassing (though I'd be fine with that, too, given sufficiently robust multiclassing).

My favorite ever is the Arcana Evolved witch. This hit some sweet spot of blade and spell mixed well together--in ways that AE multiclassing didn't exactly match. With the AE witch, the sum is greater than the parts. Yet, the witch is neither overpowered nor underpowered, but almost dead center of the AE classes.

The key element was the conjured, magical blade and the different types of witches having flavorful and useful "manifestations". That meant that the spells could truly supplement the mix instead of having to be the entire "magic" part.

I do wish that someone would come up with an excellent one-word name for "sword-wielding arcanist". I was looking again yesterday, and "witch" was the best choice I found. (No, "gish" doesn't get it done.) But I'm not entirely happy with it, either. "Bard" is a possibility, but I like it better for some kind of rogue/arcanist mix.

Last edited:

Tallifer

Hero
Elric of Melniböne is the Fighter-Mage that stands out the most in my mind. Gandalf used a sword named Glamdring which he found in The Hobbit (perhaps he was low on mana). Neither Merlin nor Morgan le Fay however used a sword. Samuel used an axe to hew the captured king to pieces.

Klaus

First Post
All of them.

Really, I prefer when there is more than One True Way to achieve a build.

For instance, I've been thinking of writing up a Fighter with training in Arcana, Ritual Caster and ritual feats to give that "arcane warrior" feel.

Of all the Hexblades, my favorite is the White Well Hexblade (the fey one in Dragon Magazine).

Of all the Swordmages, my favorite is the Ensnaring Swordmage, but that's because I have a specific character in mind.

And then we have the Bard, which is awesome, and is the best Aragorn-type class in the game.

Remove ads