• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordmage: Dragonborn or Eladrin

afata5

First Post
I just got my hands on the Forgotten Realms preview and I must say i'm anxious to try out the Sword Mage (Assault or sheilding, haven't decided yet).

Looking over the races, I know that the Genasi is great with it(although I'm not terribly interested in it), but I am leaning more towards Dragonborn or Eladrin. I love the feystep and the trance of the Eladrin (+5 against charm is fun aswell) but I find the Breath weapon and + strength + healing surge extra to be great aswell.

So, hoping this is in the right forum...what do you think?

Thanks,

Al

fba827

Adventurer
I think it comes down to your play style...
do you want the extra mobility (Eladrin) -- fey step is always awesome

or, if you think you will be wading in to the thick of battle at every opportunity like a good solider then dragonborn

also, if your party has no controller, dragonborn, definitely, that breath weapon can take out all those pesky minions that a wizard would normally nuke; the reverse is true.. if your party has two wizards, don't count on being able to use your dragon breath often -- they'll just keep nuking everything before you get to position yourself right for it

Last edited:

afata5

First Post
Thats a good way of seeing things. Since we have no controllers (or won't always have a controller with us that is) I think Dragonborn will be the way to go...Swordmage is already a defender, howeve i find it has a dash of controller to it aswell, so the dragonborn will compliment it.

Thanks for the feedback...

Al

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads