• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SWSE] Are Jedi just plain better than everyone else?

Stone Dog

Adventurer
iwatt said:
Midichlorians......

Which may have been around since 1977, just not mentioned in the films. Apparently Lucas had them in mind all along and included them in author's guidlines. Not to say that this is a defense, just that they aren't new.

iwatt

First Post
Stone Dog said:
Which may have been around since 1977, just not mentioned in the films. Apparently Lucas had them in mind all along and included them in author's guidlines. Not to say that this is a defense, just that they aren't new.

I could go with that. I think the Midichlorians aren't a great example of Canon controversy since truthfully they don't directly controvert anything from the OT, except that they caused such a dissonance with the previous mythology. I guess that's why I called it a G-canon conflict. :)

Now there's probably somebody much more knowledgeable than me on SW that can give a better example.

pawsplay

Hero
iwatt said:
Midichlorians......

Midichlorians actually fix some problems. For instance, if the Force is completely intangible, how is it strong in a bloodline? Why does it flow through living things and not just manifest in the form of magical rocks or weird lightning storms or whatever? Why is the Force tiring to use?

Now we know.

iwatt

First Post
pawsplay said:
Midichlorians actually fix some problems. For instance, if the Force is completely intangible, how is it strong in a bloodline? Why does it flow through living things and not just manifest in the form of magical rocks or weird lightning storms or whatever? Why is the Force tiring to use?

Now we know.

To each his own, I guess. I rather have some things misterious.

And their are magical rocks: the lightsaber crystals in KOTOR.

Lightining Storms: that would be pretty cool. In the boundary between a light side site and a dark side site, the energy conflict causes these storms to appear.

Asmor

First Post
I don't see why any of those are problems. The Force is basically magic, just not called magic. And the answer to any question about how magic works is really quite simple: It's Magic.

iwatt

First Post
pawsplay said:
Those aren't magical or related to the Force.

Well, from wookiepedia:

Before placing the crystal in the lightsaber, the Jedi or Sith must imbue them with the Force.

Seems to me they are magical and definitley related to the force. Now, maybe the jedi is transfering midichlorians into the crystal (don't ask me how) or somesuch nonsense, but I much preferred when the argument was that the Force was an all pervasive energy field conencting everything in the universe. YMMV

iwatt said:
Seems to me they are magical and definitley related to the force. Now, maybe the jedi is transfering midichlorians into the crystal (don't ask me how) or somesuch nonsense, but I much preferred when the argument was that the Force was an all pervasive energy field conencting everything in the universe. YMMV

It IS pervasive energy field.

The problem with the whole midichlorian thing is NOT that they were introduced as much as the fact that people overreacted so much that they ignored what they were.

Midichlorians ARE NOT THE FORCE. They don't create the Force.

They are a link between the Force and living beings. A midway, essentially, between the Force, that IS an energy field that binds and connects everything, and the living beings. They allow a living being to hear the Force and to manipulate it. They don't even change the Force at all, as all they are is a sensory organ, of sorts, for perceiving the Force.

Kaffis

First Post
iwatt said:
Well, from wookiepedia:

I think the wookiepedia is miswording it.

I've always seen it phrased that lightsaber crystals must be "attuned" not "imbued." Attuned, with the Force -- i.e., using the Force to focus/align them on a microscopic basis, perhaps even removing impurities.

Kaffis

First Post
pawsplay said:

Now we know.

Interestingly enough, midichlorians seem to parallel mitochondria in some ways. One of the ways is that presumably, as a blood-borne foreign entity (though, for mitochondria, they're cellularly contained, not blood-borne -- net result for this comparison is the same, though, since sperm don't carry them), and should thus follow a matriarchal line, not a patriarchal one -- the father's blood gets nowhere near fetuses.

So, in that sense, they don't seem to solve much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads