• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SWSE] Are Jedi just plain better than everyone else?

Asmor

First Post
Klaus said:
The level of zealotry possessed by those who police Wookieepedia is a tad higher than those that police Wikipedia.

I'd also wager that given its narrower focus and much smaller presence (I'm not a huge Star Wars nerd, but I do frequent the sorts of communities where this kind of stuff is popular and I've never heard of it until this thread), it's got a higher signal-to-noise ration.

ruleslawyer

Keoki said:
Actually, according to the novel Dark Lord, the clone troopers had no preprogrammed order to kill the Jedi. But they were "hardwired" to obey Palpatine, who had established Order 66 as a so-called emergency plan should the Jedi attempt a takeover. Some troopers, not believing the order to be in Palpatine's best interests, refused to comply.
A novel, you say?

Okay...

ruleslawyer said:
A novel, you say?

Okay...
Was also referenced in an issue of Star Wars Insider that the Clone Troopers' training was to such an extent that if you gave them an order, they executed it without hesitation or prejudice. The analogy given was that you make the knife so sharp it has no choice but to cut.

Order 66 was given by the Commander-in-Chief, and thus interpreted as a valid order, and so the Clone Troopers simply followed orders with no inherent malice. The only reason Yoda got tipped off was that 1) he'd felt scores of other Jedi die through the Force, and 2) it took longer than a couple seconds for Gree and the other trooper to approach Yoda, by which time they'd thought about Order 66 and formed an opinion on it as well as an opinion on killing Yoda, so it was no longer "just following orders."

Faraer

Explorer
gribble said:
One final piece of anecdotal evidence - over on the WotC forums, there is about an equal count of "OMG, the Jedi is sooo powerful why would you play anything else?" and "OMG, the Jedi has been sooo nerfed, why would you ever play one?" threads, which tells me the truth is somewhere in the middle - i.e.: well balanced with the other classes.
:)
This is the usual case with such arguments with the last three versions of the SWRPG, D&D, and most other competently designed and playtested games.
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
With the 'canon levels' that Lucasfilm has(...its complicated...), most all of the stuff, on one level or another, IS actual canon.
Lucas Licensing, not Lucasfilm.
Klaus said:
The level of zealotry possessed by those who police Wookieepedia is a tad higher than those that police Wikipedia.
It resembles certain fanatical enclaves of Wikipedia in that regard, which means that while its articles are pretty factually accurate, they also include a lot of subjective interpretation of the sources, which is resistant to change because of how cliques operate in wikis.

Eric Tolle

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Its the best Star Wars reference on the web, and while it might not be completely official...it just collects the information that's published in other places. With the 'canon levels' that Lucasfilm has(...its complicated...), most all of the stuff, on one level or another, IS actual canon.
From what I understand, there aren't "levels"- canon is binary. If it was in the movies its canon, if not, then its not.

This simplifies things because one can avoid 99% of the idiocy in the Star Wars universe by simply saying "canon only". Since I've yet to see anything in the EU that's worth including, there's no real loss.

Eric Tolle said:
From what I understand, there aren't "levels"- canon is binary. If it was in the movies its canon, if not, then its not.

This simplifies things because one can avoid 99% of the idiocy in the Star Wars universe by simply saying "canon only". Since I've yet to see anything in the EU that's worth including, there's no real loss.
For Star Wars, Lucas Licensing(thanks Faraer) does have levels set up. Essentially, there are 4 levels.

G-Canon is the top tier, and overwrites everything that contradicts it. Stands for George Lucas, and its everything from the movies and anything else directly from Lucas.

Next down is C-Canon, which is 'continuity canon'. This is (almost) everything from the Expanded Universe. Books, novels, games, comics, what have you. Some C-canon has been bumped up to G-canon, also, like Coruscant, Quinlan Vos, and some other similar things. (Note that Lucas himself felt these were worth including, for those that throw outright hatred at the EU :))

Next is S-canon, for 'secondary canon'. Basically this is the old stuff that is mostly ignored these days. The Marvel Comics series, very old books, etc. Some of this does get bumped up to C-canon.

Lastly is N-canon, for 'non-canon'. Infinities comics, what-if stories, etc. These are pretty much the ONLY thing that are stated to NOT be canon. Everything else above it, however, IS. Just that G-canon trumped everything under it, and so on.

...I said it was complicated...

Klaus

First Post
Eric Tolle said:

Hardly, because that would include the Prequels. ;)

iwatt

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
G-Canon is the top tier, and overwrites everything that contradicts it. Stands for George Lucas, and its everything from the movies and anything else directly from Lucas.

Just that G-canon trumped everything under it, and so on.

...I said it was complicated...

No Kidding, specially when you throw in G-canon material that contradicts itself ;)

And the Christmas special... :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads