System matters and free kriegsspiel

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Yes, @S'mon, the ideal you've put forward of a transparent resolution that seeks consensus with the GM as tiebreaker is a valid approach. I do not think it aligns at all with the presentation of FKR in this thread by it's proponents or of the blogs linked. I think you're looking at those with an intent to only see the good and this approach and ignoring the bits that cut hard against it.

pemerton

Legend
And Kubasik is wrong on that point.
Yes, I pointed that out in my post that you quoted.

The range bands used in movement are...
Close: same movement band (range 0)
Short: adjacent movement band (range 1)
Medium 2-5 bands
Long 6-9 bands
VLong 10-14
Distant 15+
Walking gets 1 movement band/turn, running 2. (Some animals up to 4)

Note that the proportions are not the same. This leads the literal minded to reject the game as broken, not see it as an opportunity, If I'd been confronted with CT-77, instead of CT-81, I'd have quit Traveller within the year...
In my self-produced version of the rules (as noted upthread) I have turns of movement between bands that are the same as Book 1 (1977, p 28):

1 round of movement to open from Close to Short;
1 round to open from Short to Medium;
3 rounds to open from Medium to Long;
4 rounds to open from Long to Very Long;
5 round to open from Very Long to out of range.​

This is not consistent with the same version of Book 1, p 29, which is what you've cited and which sets 4 rounds rather than 3 to open from Medium to Long (because you need to move from band 2 to band 6). And obviously both pages are different from the 1981/Traveller Book versions.

I correlate the bands that I use to movement rates that are slower when in close proximity than when more distant: 5 metres per round if opening to band 2 or closing to band 1 or 0; 20 metres per round if opening to band 4 or closing to band 3 or 2; and 50 metres per round beyond that. (I think of this as a correlate of the absence of an OA-type rule: movement up close has to be more cautious (if opening) or is slowed down by advancing into fire (if closing).)

How practical would this be - particularly the visual representation of bands - if one opponent is close and another far away? We have so little combat in our game that it hasn't come up! For instance, all the most recent combats have been between PCs and Aliens (TM) which have either been down corridors - so the question is, how many rounds can be discharged before the Alien is up in the shooter's face? - or at either close or short, in which case all the action is about who maintains what distance so as to optimise their attack bonus (given that some melee attacks prefer Close and some Short).

pemerton

Legend
I would likely find FKR more compelling if it was a bit more transparent about its assumptions, approaches, and ends. But as you say, a lot of how FKR is framed seems to be about giving the GM more authority.

<snip>

I suppose my issue is that it would be more difficult for me to "play the world" as a player if I didn't know which aesthetic the GM would prioritize simulating in a given moment: realism or genre. This would be a case where I normally would consult the rules of the game to temper my expectations about the game's tone or sense of aesthetics.
Some of the discussion also makes me think about this from Vincent Baker:

Imagine Thatcher's London. Imagine a person in Thatcher's London who has everything to lose.​
That's a character. That's a whole, playable, complete character. If I ask you to speak in that character's voice, you can; if I present some threat or challenge, you can tell me easily how that character will react; if I describe a morning and ask you what that character will do in it, you'll know. Take ten minutes to think and that character's as real as can be.​
Character sheets are useless when it comes to creating, describing, defining, realizing characters. Totally pointless, valueless, toss 'em in the recycling. A notebook is helpful for remembering things, or 3x5 cards or post-it notes, let's use those instead. Or let's use nothing at all, if we can remember what we need to remember! Probably we can.​
This isn't (just) to Collin but to everybody: I can't teach you anything useful about RPG design if you persist in thinking that mechanical character creation or the character sheet have anything to do with the character at all. It's a misleading historical mistake to call the process and the paper "character-" anything. If you want to get anywhere, if you want to understand, if you want to create anything at all, you have to let that old error go.​
So we start right here at this point: the character exists only in our minds. If we write something down about the character, it's only to remind us, to help us keep the character in our minds. The character cannot be touched by rules or game mechanics at all, under any circumstances, no exceptions. The character is pure inviolate fiction. This is fundamental and inescapable.​
And from there we build.​
I say, "my character, this guy in Thatcher's london, who has everything to lose, he goes to his lover's flat and convinces him to keep their affair private." You say, "y'know, I don't think that his lover is inclined to keep their affair private, do you?" And I say, "no, I suppose not, but my character is desperate to convince him anyway. In fact, he brings an antique revolver with him in his jacket pocket, in case he can't."​
(Look, just look: the character has no "character sheet," but he's a whole character, fully realized. I can play him effortlessly.)​
How do we decide what comes true?​
We can simply agree. That works great, as long as we really do just simply agree.​
We could flip a coin for it. Let's do that: heads my character convinces yours to keep their secret, tails he murders him instead.​
Or y'know, that's a lot to deal with. Let's have a rule: whenever a character's life is at stake, that character's player gets to call for one re-flip of the coin.​
On the other hand, isn't my character's life at stake too? His wife, his kids, his position, his money, his everything? Which should have more weight between us, your character's life or my character's "life"? Shall we go best two of three, or is that setting life and "life" too equal?​
How about this: we'll roll a die. If it comes up 1 or 2, your character will refuse and mine will kill him; if it comes up 3-6, your character will agree to keep the secret and (unknowingly) thereby save his life. It's unequal because my character killing yours is less to your liking than your character ruining mine's life is to mine. It's unequal to be fair to us, the players.​
Notice that we haven't considered which is more likely at all. We probably agree that it's more likely, in fact, that your character will refuse, so my character will shoot him. But that doesn't matter - either could happen, so we roll according to what's at stake.​
Also, notice that we aren't rolling to see whether your character values his life in the face of my character's gun in any way. We're rolling to see if your character agrees to keep the secret without ever knowing about the gun, or if he refuses without knowing about the gun and my character shoots and kills him.​
What we have here is a resolution mechanism with no character sheet. It treats all outcomes as equal, except in cases where it's "a character dies" vs. "a character's life is radically and permanently changed." In those cases, it biases toward the latter.​
See?​
Let's add a wrinkle. Let's say that over the course of the whole game, each of us is allowed 10 rerolls, no questions asked. Just in case we want another shot at our preferred outcome. Now we need a "character sheet," except that of course it's really a player sheet. We need to keep track of how many of our rerolls we've spent.​
Let's add another wrinkle. Let's say that at the beginning of the game, we each choose a sure thing, a limited circumstance where we don't roll, but instead one or the other of us just chooses what happens. I choose "my character's children are in the scene." You choose "once per session, at my whim."​
Here, this late, I've finally made a mechanical reference to the fiction of the game. I still haven't considered probabilities at all, and do you see how "my character's children are in the scene" and "once per session" are the same? They're resources for us to use, us the players, to have more control over what becomes true.​
Maybe we should write them down on our player sheets too, so that if we forget or get sloppy we can call one another on it.​
But so okay, that's pretty good, but how do we come to agreement about the two possible outcomes in the first place? Here's a rule: neither outcome can overreach the present capabilities of the characters involved. That makes sense; if my character didn't bring the revolver, I shouldn't be insisting upon "shoot and kill" as a possible outcome, right? Same with my character's skills and foibles as with his belongings. Like, if I establish that my character has a weak heart, that opens up some possible outcomes for us to propose; if I establish that my character is an excellent driver, that opens and closes some others.​
Come to think of it, when do I get to decide if my character has access to an antique revolver, has a weak heart, is an excellent driver? Do I get to decide on the fly or do I have to declare it up front?​
Either way, I should write all this stuff down on my player sheet, as I establish it. That way I know what I'm allowed to propose as possible outcomes.​
See how this goes? The "character sheet" isn't about the character. Maybe - maybe - it refers to details of the character, if that's what our resolution rules care about. But either way, even if so, the "character sheet" is really a record of the player's resources. "Character creation" similarly isn't how you create a character, but rather how you the player establish your resources to start.​
If you like, you can design your game so that the player's resources depend wholly on details of the character.​
Or you can just as easily design your game so that the player's resources don't refer to details of the character at all.​
Or a mix, that's easiest of all.​
Whichever way, you need to establish what resources the player has to begin with, and you'll probably want to write 'em down. That's what's really going on.​

I think there is some obvious overlap, here, with some FKR ideas (and ideals), but I find Baker's presentation is far more clearly expressed. Of particular relevance to the current discussion, he is able to distinguish discussions of fiction, fictional positioning, stakes, consequences, etc from a discussion of who gets to decide/adjudicate those things. Or to be more pithy: the fact that the character is inviolable fiction does not tell us anything about the role of any game participants!

is there a reason why people in the OSR community are finding OSR dissatisfying in a way that FKR is appealing? What was lacking about OSR? Or is this like a subset of the OSR community trying to out-OSR OSR by trying to go back to the genesis of TTRPGs as inspiration?
Well, in the forum thread I quoted not far upthread, the OP said that they weren't OSR because they had never stopped playing classic D&D (hence they were not part of a renaissance). But - with a modest degree of internal tension - they then went on to proclaim the need for a Free Kriegsspiel renaissance.

aramis erak

Legend
Yes, I pointed that out in my post that you quoted.

In my self-produced version of the rules (as noted upthread) I have turns of movement between bands that are the same as Book 1 (1977, p 28):

1 round of movement to open from Close to Short;​
1 round to open from Short to Medium;​
3 rounds to open from Medium to Long;​
4 rounds to open from Long to Very Long;​
5 round to open from Very Long to out of range.​

This is not consistent with the same version of Book 1, p 29, which is what you've cited and which sets 4 rounds rather than 3 to open from Medium to Long (because you need to move from band 2 to band 6). And obviously both pages are different from the 1981/Traveller Book versions.

I correlate the bands that I use to movement rates that are slower when in close proximity than when more distant: 5 metres per round if opening to band 2 or closing to band 1 or 0; 20 metres per round if opening to band 4 or closing to band 3 or 2; and 50 metres per round beyond that. (I think of this as a correlate of the absence of an OA-type rule: movement up close has to be more cautious (if opening) or is slowed down by advancing into fire (if closing).)

How practical would this be - particularly the visual representation of bands - if one opponent is close and another far away? We have so little combat in our game that it hasn't come up! For instance, all the most recent combats have been between PCs and Aliens (TM) which have either been down corridors - so the question is, how many rounds can be discharged before the Alien is up in the shooter's face? - or at either close or short, in which case all the action is about who maintains what distance so as to optimise their attack bonus (given that some melee attacks prefer Close and some Short).
I suspect it's an issue of Loren editing/typesetting for the disconnect.
Also note: 50m/round is 3.33 m/s, well under the human record of about 10.44 m/s (Usain Bolt - a fitting name). And about half the record in '77

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I suspect it's an issue of Loren editing/typesetting for the disconnect.
Also note: 50m/round is 3.33 m/s, well under the human record of about 10.44 m/s (Usain Bolt - a fitting name). And about half the record in '77
50 metres per round is 200 metres per minute or 12 km per hour. That's not a bad clip for someone doing other stuff (eg shooting or fighting).

Double that is 400 metres per minute which is faster than I can sprint! (I guess I can do 100 m in less than 15 seconds, but I can't keep that up for my END worth of rounds.)

S'mon

Legend
But I think it is not a very applicable resolution framework for trying to determine (for instance) whether an economy can maintain sufficient civilian morale to ensure the industrial production and the provision of soldiers necessary to prosecute a war on the scale of the First or Second World War. Nor for determining the outcome of the Vienna Conference. Nor for determining the outcome of an occupation by a military victor (contrast, say, France in 1940 to France in 1944-45; or Poland post-1945 to Japan post-1945).

I don't disagree, but the less they are the focus of play, the more they can be adequately resolved by declaring some odds and rolling a d6. Eg from Churchill's point of view in Downing Street, what happens in 1940s France often seems essentially random, so the GM can adequately resolve it with a d6.

I'm not sure this is relevant, but I did once see (in my 4e/5e Wilderlands) a PC unite a confederation of disparate tribal & settled elements (in a sort of post-Roman Dark Ages; in-game post Nerath) into an alliance that formed the foundation of a powerful empire. There were not rules for this, as such. There were a lot of NPCs with their own hopes and dreams and fears. I tend to identify strongly with my NPCs, and have a very good sense of their internal aspect - in the moment, they feel like real people. We played through a lot of social interaction, a lot of combat, and saw things take shape over months & years of play. I felt I learned a lot from that about how early feudalism and rule through personal allegiance actually works, which I would not have done if there had been rules to resolve it mechanically.

Edit: The player & PC did a brilliant job forging his empire, defeating his enemies and becoming emperor. As soon as he was officially in charge he seemed to forget everything he knew and started giving commands with the expectation they'd be obeyed, as if he was in charge of a modern (or Roman) State bureaucracy, not a bunch of warlords with their own agendas. He then got increasingly angry. In the end he was as big a failure as emperor as he had been a success at empire-building.

S'mon

Legend
Yes, @S'mon, the ideal you've put forward of a transparent resolution that seeks consensus with the GM as tiebreaker is a valid approach. I do not think it aligns at all with the presentation of FKR in this thread by it's proponents or of the blogs linked. I think you're looking at those with an intent to only see the good and this approach and ignoring the bits that cut hard against it.

But it's not about seeking consensus. The referee in FK is a judge, not a mediator. They make their ruling - but they explain their reasons. The player who loses does not have to agree, for FK to work. They only have to accept that the process was valid.

Aldarc

Legend
Well, in the forum thread I quoted not far upthread, the OP said that they weren't OSR because they had never stopped playing classic D&D (hence they were not part of a renaissance). But - with a modest degree of internal tension - they then went on to proclaim the need for a Free Kriegsspiel renaissance.
Sure, I think that works for the OP, but less so for Ben Milton (aka Questing Beast) - the person who wrote the FKR list both you and the OP list - who frames this as a movement within OSR as well.

This comic was even posted in one of the threads about FKR.
ed2.png

Other people playing differently and expressing their preferences is not an attack on you or your preferences.
It's likely less an issue of simply expessing different play preferences, but, rather, how it is done.

So what are those massively over-complicated rule systems that you claim FKR is reacting against?

Just for your information, there is an explicitly leftist/inclusive FKR Discord server.
While that is good to know, that's not really what I had in mind with my criticism.

Play worlds, not rules... doesn't dismiss all published games. Quite the opposite: take those manuals and use them as setting. Play them.
Use the fluff, of course, maybe even the crunch (as you say) to understand tone, genre, setting "realism", but don't use it as mechanics related to the characters' sheets.
That's the point.
(1) Could we please stop equivocating on what is meant by "realism" in this discussion? (2) See Campbell's point here.

Fiction first and only. Even while writing char sheets, noting important stuff in plain language, not numbers (this is big feature of PbtA IMO)
Mechanics in FKR idea are all Gm-facing, though, and Gm decides when to use'em and eventually tell the player roll this, or that.
This right here is one big reason why I don't think that I could get behind FKR. I like fiction-first games, but the idea that I should abdicate my knowledge of rules as a player in favor of GM Decides under the guise "invisible rules" is way too much of a stretch for me. Again, I think that the precarious house of assumptions that FKR built its house with (at least as outlined by Ben Milton*) is a little too incredulous for my personal tastes.

MC Moves in PbtA may not be player-facing rules, but at least I know that (a) they aren't invisible, (b) they exist should I also take the role of the MC, and (c) the game principles are such that my actions in the fiction and the dice resolution mechanics are meant to trigger moves. There is a framework of rules and principles that exist for the MC and players.

I played a session of D&D without the rule books once in my high school gaming club. The GM was absent. A prior member came to visit and filled in as the GM, and we played D&D without rule books and using paper/rocks/scissors for resolution. It was entertaining, but I think that more had to do with the knowledge of how it was ad hoc improv. We certainly didn't decree that it was worthy of its own movement or represented some Ur-style of roleplaying.

* Much as I said earlier, based on my own familiarity with Ben Milton's channel and work, I do suspect that some of Ben Milton's own personal (and OSR) game prejudices and biases made their way into that listing.

More authority to the Gm? Yes, seems true to me. But also more responsability in some ways, rules are not there to take part of that "burden".
Would I be comfortable with that as a player? Not sure, actually. My previous experience tells me a big No.
I'm personally not a fan of language that glorifies GM autocracy, GM as God, or "the GM's Burden." Ben Milton's FKR post leans into it pretty heavily too, including its whole "high trust" spiel. It's too much of a red flag for me. It's not just about how I feel about that as a player, but also as a GM and someone who is asking other people to play in such a framework.

But for me as a Gm is an inspiring drive to dust off the shelves classic rpgs, or buy new ones, and run them light hearted.
I see nothing wrong with a new game system inspiring you to reuse old game books. I just don't think one needs FKR and its ideological framework for that.

If players invest effort in setting knowledge, all the better.
Sure, which is the case for nearly all TTRPGs.

My fixation is Players' Agency & Content Introduction; under this light, the term Referee assumes a broader meaning than just Gm decides outcomes, they even arbitrate, discuss, refine, introduction of new content.
Cortex Prime uses the term "Game Moderator."

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
But it's not about seeking consensus. The referee in FK is a judge, not a mediator. They make their ruling - but they explain their reasons. The player who loses does not have to agree, for FK to work. They only have to accept that the process was valid.
I'm confused why I've received pushback, then. If the GM's call is the only one that matters, this definitely changes the nature of the invisible rulebook and why it's invisible. Now, the only invisible rulebook that matters is the GM's, and since it's invisible this is hidden from the players. Yet you say that the GM must be able to explain their reasoning, which cuts against the invisible rulebook because it makes it visible. We're back to the competing ideas of transparent play vs hidden play and why you'd even use an invisible rulebook at all.

Further, this entire set of play goes back to the GM making arbitrary rulings. To use your example of your game above, this highlights the kind of arbitrary rulings that are being made -- you, as GM, picked one way of many for an NPC to react and that's how the NPC reacted. The inputs where how you felt about what the player tried to do. There were other valid options, but you picked yours. I have no doubt this created an interesting game, but the process here is very much one that is arbitrary based only on what the GM thinks and not the total number of "realistic" or "genre" options available. For instance, at the end when the player shifted form coalition building to autocrat, you determined this wasn't going to go well with the vassals and the play showed the PC losing what they had built. However, that story has played out multiple times in history with a different result, and it could play out differently in fiction (and has). The choice for the direction of play at that point was up to you as the GM, based on whatever you liked at that moment, and the only nod to realism or genre was that these were possible answers. The choice of the GM to select here, based only on what they want here, is why I say these choices are arbitrary.

Gaming is full of arbitrary, though, it's not like any number of other things in other systems aren't arbitrary as well. The issue, I think, is the claim that the GM creates a better set of arbitrary outcomes when they have full authority to enforce them rather than having the player have some control via mechanical systems they can predict or through consensus building, conch passing, or direct control of the fiction. The GM is not a better source of "realism" or genre emulation than anyone else at the table.

"Realism" is in quotes throughout because I'm using is as "trying to model the real world or real world influenced expectations of fantasy events." I also have the feeling it just means "the GM thinks this is what should happen." Given how it's used, I'm not sure when someone else deploys this term what it's supposed to mean, so I've made sure to be clear here.

Remove ads