Systems You'd Never Play after Reading Them

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Oh, by the way, regarding character sheets for HERO.

There are many HERO Designer compatible export templates that have been designed and put into the HERO downloads section.

Most keep to the overly complex style but some are simplified. If you browse through them you might find some you like.

Also, count me as also not liking having points costs on character sheets. Costs are part of character design. Have a separate sheet for that. Certainly beginners don't need to know it.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I'll have to dig deeper into the Downloads section (I'm also 'pming' on those Forums...surprise! ;) ).

I did get about 75% of the way through making my own "character point-less" Fantasy Hero sheet...but only have a slightly older PDF version of it; can't find the original OpenOffice file. No worries though. I'm getting better with Affinity Publisher and plan on making a real nice one soon. Same with a "character building sheet" where you can write down all your choices, changes and whatnot of the use of the CP's used to build the PC.

Maybe once I get more familiar with the system I'll have my own "Fantasy Hero Primer" for my own campaign and choices/rules. Something I LOVE doing anyway...writing stuff for RPG's/Campaigns/Characters/etc. 💖😊

I'm off to check out your PDF now! Thanks!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

5ekyu

Hero
I don’t know if it’s the same one, but the first HERO character design program didn’t work on Apple products. Is it safe to assume that this is different?

Well...there sort of is. In almost every sourcebook, like FantasyHERO, StarHERO, and the like, the main races are stayted out with what is called a “package deal”. That will show the average stat mods and additional abilities for an adult of that species that varies from the human norm (the all 10s on the basic sheet). So an elf might have minuses to Str and Con, physical defense, but bonuses to Int, perception rolls with eyesight and hearing, silent movement, ranged combat, and maybe even some minor innate magic. They might also have vulnerabilities. More “fey” elves might take damage from weapons made of certain materials.

In addition, you can also find NPCs for “scientist”, “thug”, “cop” and so forth, which are supposed to be modern norms, and the villain/organization/ sourcebooks & adventures will stat out all kinds of agents, minions and foes that you can easily use as-is, reskin, or tweak.

(Of course, checking the math is always a good idea, because typos DO occur.)

Since the game is classless, you won’t find classes per se, but you can easily make package deals for those as well*. That’s what I did when I designed a D&D HERO campaign. A “space marine” might get skill points in zero-g combat, piloting, and some armed & unarmed martial arts. A “wizard” might know a variety of languages, alchemy, and have a certain bonus to his proficiency manipulating magical forces.

And the same goes for gear. A lot of HERO sourcebooks give you lists of already statted-out gear...and will do so with transparency. So you won’t only know that a 2 handed sword does 2d6 HKA and costs 7 points to buy, you’ll know exactly WHY (obvious accessible focus, etc.) so tweaking or DIY-from-scratch is easier.

* Actually, there may be some professional package deals in the sourcebooks. I haven’t looked in a while.
I remember my last FH campaign. I created "school for magic" which were literally different ways to tame magic -
One group used formulaic gestures, incantations, sympathetic components.
Another used carefully crafted focusing tools.
A third just tended to burn through it with higher costs and a growing taint
Etc.

Similar types of arms training ftom a variety of orders.

These helped go from "giant sacks of whatever" to "tied down to this world" definitions.

But it was a lot of custom up- front work for the GM to give the players a way to see a foundation to build from.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I remember my last FH campaign. I created "school for magic" which were literally different ways to tame magic -
One group used formulaic gestures, incantations, sympathetic components.
Another used carefully crafted focusing tools.
A third just tended to burn through it with higher costs and a growing taint
Etc.

Similar types of arms training ftom a variety of orders.

These helped go from "giant sacks of whatever" to "tied down to this world" definitions.

But it was a lot of custom up- front work for the GM to give the players a way to see a foundation to build from.

That sounds like a very cool setting.

Yes, unfortunately HERO requires a lot of up-front work by the GM. Unless you buy a pre-written setting, of which there quite a few. I own 2 of them, Turakian Age and Valdorian Age. Trouble is neither is quite suited my to preferred game style. And Turakian Age doesn't include a workable magic system. It give guidelines for building one. That is not my idea of a campaign setting. The Valdorian Age has a cool magic system, but doesn't include all that many actual spells.

Luckily for me I enjoy making my own settings, even if very few of them see actual light of play.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Hiya!

I'll have to dig deeper into the Downloads section (I'm also 'pming' on those Forums...surprise! ;) ).

I did get about 75% of the way through making my own "character point-less" Fantasy Hero sheet...but only have a slightly older PDF version of it; can't find the original OpenOffice file. No worries though. I'm getting better with Affinity Publisher and plan on making a real nice one soon. Same with a "character building sheet" where you can write down all your choices, changes and whatnot of the use of the CP's used to build the PC.

Maybe once I get more familiar with the system I'll have my own "Fantasy Hero Primer" for my own campaign and choices/rules. Something I LOVE doing anyway...writing stuff for RPG's/Campaigns/Characters/etc. 

I'm off to check out your PDF now! Thanks!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Glad to be of help. I hope the PDF is of some use.

Remove ads