• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tactics of the Illusionist

rounser

First Post
Obscuring illusions don't work so well, actually, because they force everyone exposed to them to 'interact' with them (by trying to see through them), thus allowing them a Will save.
Do the rules state this explicitly - that a particular kind of looking at an illusion counts as interaction - or is this your personal interpretation? (It reminds me strongly of the "can't do it because it emulates invisibility" ruling above, which I don't agree with at all.)

Wippit Guud

First Post
Should see the look on high-powered BBEG wizard or lich when you walk into a room with the illusion of a 2 ft diameter sphere of absolute blackness floating in front of you :)

For visual-only stuff, a great idea is to change what the caster is. In a low-level adventure, the tide of a battle can turn completely if even dumb monsters see the caster suddenly shift into hybrid-wolf form - who hasn't heard of a werewolf? Or the power necromancers summoning shadows and ghosts - they don't need to make sounds.

My favorite tactic, expecially in 3.5, if the big glob e of black - so now it's a 3.0 darkness spell that the cater can always see through.

Wippit Guud

First Post
In my PBEM, my character annoys other party members by use of illusionary projectile vomiting, usually when the bard and the paladin get cuddly.

... they take the threat of putting the illusion of them having sex up the sky very seriously if I happen to catch them...

Last edited:

TiQuinn

In last week's Arcana Unearthed game, we used Obscuring Mist in combination with Ghost Sound and Illusory Creature to really screw up a group of bandits who had ambushed us. Using Ghost Sound and Minor Image/Major Image, etc. to distract enemies is a very effective tactic.

Bulldogc

First Post
u can conceal the sun and put it somewhere else in the sky causing hostile troops to march in the wrong direction(read that in one of the books)
or make a big assed pit and cover it over with illusionary ground so they fall into it.
have some fun tricking your fellow party members.
have a bigassed rock fall on something for some mega illusionary damage(wont kill but will defiantly do something)

Dougal DeKree

First Post
i think kamikaze midget is a bit harsh on us poor illusionists. illusions most of the time are thought to be something someone looks at and sees something which is not really there. So telling the illusionist that looking at one of his creations automatically allows for a save is the same as telling him to go and play some other char.

as for someone seeing you cast makes it hard to use illusions: let's take the examples of an illusionist casting stone to mud in front of some opponents. Yes, the mud is silent. Will the opponents charge through or run around - my experience is they tend to do the latter. And even if not, they still gotta make that save then. even worse if they really enter the mud. cast the major image wich emulates mud to stone. now they feel the rock around their feet. Will they think this is an illusion? most likely no...
and there are more uses of illusions like this...

Driddle

First Post
With a bit more creativity, you *can* work around the sound limitation for silent images. ... If you're working the illusion around yourself, for example, there's no reason you can't add the sounds personally -- who among us hasn't pantomimed projectile vomiting in some joke setting? "Blarrrgh!" Or have someone hiding behind the corner adding "ugh" and "argh" sounds every so often (just make sure there's plenty of distance between the actors and the audience).

And let's not forget the possibility of the illusionist standing directly behind the illusionary creature itself -- sure, swords and arrows are going to slice right through the phantasm, but that still implies that the mage wasn't the primary target and so he's going to be tougher to hit for it.

Idea for Magic Mouth: prep it at the entry point where you expect the enemy might pass on its way to attack you. Set the trigger for something simple, like an attack on your party, or five seconds after the creatures pass by. Sound? "Psst, hey, bub," or "Run away!" or anything to distract the bad guys for a moment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads