D&D 5E tail proficiency

nomotog

Explorer
So I have some odd ideas about proficiency. I am wondering if it would brake the game to allow proficiency in more exotic things. For example taking a proficiency in tails. The idea would be that you get to add your proficiency bonuses on any action involving tails. Like if you were using your tail to pick pocket someone, or Identifying that these marks on the ground come from a dragon tail. It's a little silly idea, but I can see myself or my players wanting to pick it up.

The can of worms I an dealing with here is that it's both a very narrow and very wide proficiency. You could use it to do almost anything as long as you are doing it with your tail. It seems like that would brake the game, but maybe brake it in a way that makes things more fun? Like I see a player with this proficiency sticking their tail in a lock to try and pick it, or wielding a unknown weapon with their tail to claim proficiency.

Any thoughts about this idea? I think if it can be made to work, then it might be neat to see it expanded into other places. Like maybe a player could take proficiency in fine art, or metal.

Boarstorm

First Post
If you want prehensile tails to be a thing, I'd just allow them to essentially be an extra hand. Are you proficient in sleight of hand? Then you can do it with your tail if that's how you want to fluff it. That sort of thing.

Seether

Villager
I think multiple powers using a tail might be more appropriate with a home brewed feat. All the abilities you mentioned (such as pick pocketing using your tail) could be part of the feat. I tend not to mess with skills as much as feats.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I could see this going two possible directions. In one case, you could treat it like a tool proficiency (that is, something that anyone with a tail can learn), and say that "proficient" tail use allows you to use the tail as an extra limb (for Sleight of hand, etc.)- something like what Arcane Tricksters can do with Mage Hand. On the other hand (or tail), one could write it up as a feat (probably +1 DEX, allows tail use for anything except weapon or shield use). Either way, having a usable tail could be a big boon for casters, since it gives them an extra way to manipulate components (sword, shield and material components all at once- in fact, maybe as a feat, it could allow tail use to perform somatic components)

Okay I just had a pretty good Tiefling arcane trickster idea...

Remove ads