• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So the secret chapter… how to build your own castle / run your own kingdom? I believe they wanted to include something like that and I am not seeing it in the other chapters
Chapter 2 or 3, I reckon. Same with exploration and downtime rules.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So the secret chapter… how to build your own castle / run your own kingdom? I believe they wanted to include something like that and I am not seeing it in the other chapters
I was wondering where that went. Do we know it's in the 2024 DMG? As an endgame character option, it would be more natural, IMO, in the PHB.

dave2008

Legend
So... is that dragon art new? Is that gonna be the cover to the new DMG?

I hope they do a better job with optional rules inserts this time.

Also: Downtime. I'd like yet another revised pass at it (Xanathar's was much better, but the system still isn't there yet).

Also: Exploration. There's still gotta be a bit more going on here, IMO.

Finally: Are we going to get to playtest any of it? They told us we would, but with all the playtest delays, I'm starting to wonder.
They mentioned playtesting the MM & DMG for the first time after the delays, so I am guessing it is still in their plans

Tutara

Adventurer
I really hope the new DMG has plenty of systems that can be dropped in as required.

The tentatively-mooted Stronghold system, for example, but also systems that allow you to abstract travel without it boiling down to ‘ignore this if you have a ranger’, run a trial as social combat, or run a kingdom in a way that doesn’t reduce the players and DM to tears (hi, Kingmaker).

It would be great to have a chapter to accommodate various versions of ‘you started as a dungeon crawl, but now your players want to run a tavern’

Incenjucar

Legend
I really hope the new DMG has plenty of systems that can be dropped in as required.

The tentatively-mooted Stronghold system, for example, but also systems that allow you to abstract travel without it boiling down to ‘ignore this if you have a ranger’, run a trial as social combat, or run a kingdom in a way that doesn’t reduce the players and DM to tears (hi, Kingmaker).

It would be great to have a chapter to accommodate various versions of ‘you started as a dungeon crawl, but now your players want to run a tavern’
I would say that these would also make excellent material for a seperate book. The Big Book of Distractions for all those things your players do with rules that still respect their characters' abilities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads