Take A Look At The DUNE Character Sheet!

Modiphius has shared the Dune: Adventures in the Imperium character sheet. The preview packages which come with pre-orders have been updated with these in PDF format (including a printer-friendly version).

dune_ch_1.jpg

Crusadius

Adventurer
It’s stuff like this that pushes me closer to pushing the button on the pre-order.

I’ve already got a list of things to buy in 2021 so it’s annoying because if I do then something is going to be pushed back.
... and it's stuff like the high postage makes me step back. Sheesh. Might have to wait until it's in stock at a LGS or Amazon.

PRAdams

Villager
It does solve the Conan/STA issue with generating tons of threat to buy success, by limiting the amount of effect bought.
To me, that can be solved by establishing a limit up front. No need to take a rules system down to a handful of stats/skills. The problem with this approach quickly becomes the same problem with Fate, where your aspect becomes a hammer, and every challenge becomes a nail.

"Well, surely if I'm the World's Greatest Detective, then I should be able to get a discount on my hotel room."
"Well, surely if I'm the World's Greatest Detective, then I should be able to get a complimentary speedboat rental."
"Well, surely if I'm the World's Greatest Detective, then I should be able to convince the hostess to let me use her computer system."

No clearly defined stats/skills leads to players maxing out a favorable pair and constantly arguing that this min/max combination should apply in every single situation (or you're stealing their agency and ruining their character build!). It's a bad design that puts GMs in a position to always have to be the bad guy. In my experience, abusive play is the norm, even with good players. They don't even realize they're slipping into the bad behavior.

mykesfree

Adventurer
@PRAdams I have played lots of STA and Conan that uses a similar system. I have yet to see your hammer and nail problem.

In 2d20 games it is assumed that characters are hyper competent at what they do and understand many things about the task they are about to attempt. The GM gives the difficulty of the task before hand and what are applicable Dives and Skills.

The example you gave are all versions of persuading a person to give you something. For this system it looks like it would be an applicable Drive + Communicate task. What I find interesting about this game and Dune in particular is that depending who you ae asking it might change the drive. Maybe when asking for a hotel room, the person you are speaking to is a Freemen, so maybe your drive in Faith or Justice might have more weight. On Caladan when asking for a speedboat, maybe it the drive for Truth, that can convince the person to give you a speedboat rental. On Giedi Prime for computer system access maybe the drive is Power.

mykesfree

Adventurer
@Shardstone If this is like other 2d20 games, then taking actions are not dependent on how many Statements/Values that you have. When you use a value/statement on task roll, it increases your success chances by a lot.

Most of the time a character or group of characters can accomplish a task, but if you really want it to succeed that is when a character plays into a value.

PRAdams

Villager
@PRAdams I have played lots of STA and Conan that uses a similar system. I have yet to see your hammer and nail problem.

In 2d20 games it is assumed that characters are hyper competent at what they do and understand many things about the task they are about to attempt. The GM gives the difficulty of the task before hand and what are applicable Dives and Skills.

The example you gave are all versions of persuading a person to give you something. For this system it looks like it would be an applicable Drive + Communicate task. What I find interesting about this game and Dune in particular is that depending who you ae asking it might change the drive. Maybe when asking for a hotel room, the person you are speaking to is a Freemen, so maybe your drive in Faith or Justice might have more weight. On Caladan when asking for a speedboat, maybe it the drive for Truth, that can convince the person to give you a speedboat rental. On Giedi Prime for computer system access maybe the drive is Power.
I''m referring to Fate specifically (where aspects are the hammer and everything becomes a nail to be driven in by the aspect). However, the problem with, say, John Carter could be the same if the GM wanted to go that way. The notion that you don't need skills because...you're already competent in some set of skills (but go ahead and write down a handful if that'll help you) is just lazy.

If you like systems that involve a lot of handwaving, that's fine. It's a matter of taste. I find them uninteresting. There's a massive gulf between, say, Conan and John Carter 2d20. You could make a much less crunchy version of Conan if you want a high-speed John Carter game without going to the level they did with the design. They chose otherwise, so I've passed on buying anything outside of the core rulebook. For that same reason, I'll pass on Dune and other systems that are too scaled down for my taste.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases