Taking a spell you've already found in another Wizard's Spellbook

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
I've got a bit of a dilemma. My Wizard just made it to 5th level (whoo-hoo, third level spells!). The problem is that he's got 2 or 3 other Wizard's spellbooks that he's captured (it was tough) with all the great third level spells in them (Dispel Magic, Haste, Fly, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Protection from Elements, etc.).

Why is that a problem? Well, we're in the middle of a big adventure, deep underground far from everything. He's got no time to spend the WEEKS it would take to scribe these spells into his spellbook, according to the rules.

So, he gets his two "freebee" spells for leveling ... do I waste them and pick up Haste or Dispel Magic (even though I could copy them easily when I get to a town), or do I pick up spells not listed such as Slow or Summon Monster and wait?

The problem is that we've got some BIG baddies coming up ... I'm not sure if we'll be able to defeat them without some powerful spells at hand... I haven't asked the party if they would wait a week for me to scribe some spells, but it's a lot to ask, considering where we are (plus, I'd have to find that "special" ink I need).

HELP!

HeavyG

First Post
1) Are you sure you'll be able to afford scribing all those spells ? That special inks costs 600 gp per 3rd level spell.
2) Slow is a very good spell.

Akhkharu

First Post
As long as it is in your possession, and you have it when you are memorizing spells, not sure about this but can't you just memorize spells from another wizard's spell book?

pontus

First Post
Akhkharu said:
can't you just memorize spells from another wizard's spell book?
No, you can't do that unless you already know the spells, and even then you have to make a spellcraft check to succeed. It's not easy to steal spelbooks.

Shallown

First Post
YOu can memorize spells I am pretty sure but you have to make a Spellcraft check DC is like 15+ spell level I think. If you fail the slot stays empty.

Sorry not much of a rules expert.

IceBear

Explorer
Yes, I think in the Magic of Faerun book they added a rule that you can prepare spells from a captured spellbook by making a Spellcraft check DC=15+spell level.

IceBear

Tiberius

Explorer
Akhkharu said:
As long as it is in your possession, and you have it when you are memorizing spells, not sure about this but can't you just memorize spells from another wizard's spell book?

Yes, you can indeed. It requires a Spellcraft check with a DC of 15 + spell level (IIRC). Check the Spellcraft description. With new rules from Magic of Faerun, you can master the spellbook (thus allowing you to prepare spells from those books as though they were your own without the spellcraft ckecks) by spending something like a week per spell in the book (I think) and making a Spellcraft check of DC 20 (or 25) + 1/spell in the book.

-Tiberius

Darklone

Go for it !

Roll the dice! Test your luck! Be a hero!

Take spells that are not in those books but could prove useful. Slow comes to my mind, but there are thousands other nice 3rd level spells. Ever considered Hold Person? Very nice, but no idea what kind of enemies you expect. Think about some not so generic spells, perhaps from other books. Especially Rituals&Relics comes to my mind.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Yep. Learn something else.

Then, when you finally get around to learning those spells you really want, and fail your spellcraft checks, just remember - you can always wait until next level.

Just pointing out worst cast scenario :).

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Tiberius said:
Yes, you can indeed. It requires a Spellcraft check with a DC of 15 + spell level (IIRC). Check the Spellcraft description. With new rules from Magic of Faerun, you can master the spellbook (thus allowing you to prepare spells from those books as though they were your own without the spellcraft checks) by spending something like a week per spell in the book (I think) and making a Spellcraft check of DC 20 (or 25) + 1/spell in the book.
-Tiberius

Wow. We're playing in Faerun and my DM has the book. We'll see if he goes for it.

But I also agree with Darklone ... it might be fun to take some of the less used spells and give it a whirl! There's one from FRCS or MoF called "Shatterfloor" which could be interesting in a campaign ...

Thanks for the tips!

Remove ads