• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Tales of the Valiant is out (in PDF)! What do people think?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm looking at the monk, and I don't get why I'd play one? Like, every other class does more damage every round. I get that's not the be all and end all, but I get to a monk thing 3 times. The barbarian can rage for 2 minutes (2 entire combats) as an example. the warlock does more damage, and can do it from 120 feet away. It's not like I don't have to spend technique points to move in and out of melee.....Like, what's their bit, given what little they can do? Clearly I'm not reading it right.

grimmdm80

Villager
ok thanks for reminding me why I am typically not active on forums…now if you will excuse me I going back to the shadows with a comfy blanket and some tea…

Finally got around to reading some of the Monster Vault.

In a lot of respects, it reminds me of Flee, Mortals!. Going to have to really dig in with someone with a better head for math to do a side by side and really grok which to use when.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finally got around to reading some of the Monster Vault.

In a lot of respects, it reminds me of Flee, Mortals!. Going to have to really dig in with someone with a better head for math to do a side by side and really grok which to use when.
I feel like flee tried to differentiate monsters a bit more.... I'm not sure they fully succeeded, though.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I did a decent skim of the Player Guide- I definitely like everything I see better than the 5e PHB, I think in the end it depends on how much 5e2024 differentiates itself from 2014. I don't know too much about the playtest and I assume none of us know what will actually be the contents of the 2024PHB.

It doesn't stack up to A5e for me, it seems like KP didn't want to change too much from WotC 5e, which is a shame IMO. But for some of the players I have that find A5e too complex with the many many features it gives a PC, this is way better than 5e2014.

I especially like Luck- it shifts the burden of granting inspiration off the DM and onto the players- they just add it when they get it from missing etc, there's a lot less DM fiat in there. You can toss out a luck point here and there but it's more incremental.

Last edited:

TiQuinn

Don't get me wrong. I really like Kobold Press. Especially their monster books are amazing. But I have a hard time seeing why one would choose ToV over 5r - unless it's an active choice away from WotC. I think C7 has been wise by taking a more long-sighted approach.
I mean, for some folks it is an active choice away from WotC. WotC can still come out with a product that some people don’t like. If ToV is just a basic polishing up of 5e, that might actually be a feature, not a bug.

Remove ads