Pathfinder 1E Talking about a new campaign (my group stay out)

Crothian

First Post
Last summer I ran what turned out to be a dreadful modern day conspiracy mini d6 game. I think I can safely say it was the worst campaign I'd ever run and that's saying something. I took time off while another player ran Edge of the Empire. His work got insanely busy so he brought that to a close and now I am back running what I feel I do best and that is fantasy.

Our party is going to be

Dwarven Paladin
Human Witch
Human Magus
Half Elf Sorcerer

The last group of characters in Pathfinder the group played was Ranger, Bard, Inquisitor, and rogue. It might be hard to imagine that the current group is actually a step up power wise.

I am starting this off by taking them through Keep on the Borderlands. They don't know that as I don't announce what modules I am taking them through. I set it up the same but change the terminology. They are in a castle by some wildlands and I invented a rich history for everything so it does not seem as cliche.

The caves of chaos is going to a be little more organized as those creatures for the most part are all brought there to work for a underling of the eventual big bad. I'm adding in a cold theme so the chieftains will have a few large scales of a reptile that when thrown become s a one use ice grenade. They are not a lot of damage but it is setting the cold theme. That is essential for the payoff.

I wish I had thought of this but like most of my great ideas I stole it from the internet (Ari Marmell to be precise). One of my players has seen Captain America 2 five times in the theater. She really loves the movie and has asked that there be some kick ass NPC fighter who resembles the actor who plays Winter Soldier. That is one of my reasons for the cold theme. The other comes from Ari posted on facebook a cold breathing Hydra or a Hail Hydra. The idea is the party goes through the Caves of Chaos. The collapsed tunnel actually leads to the place the Hydra is. They will fight and hopefully kill the cold hydra and at that point the NPC winter soldier will turn up and say "Hail Hydra!" making sure the players understand that pun.

I know that part sounds a little silly but over all the tone of the campaign is a bit more serious. Ten years ago I ran a campaign in the same home brew that ended in a TPK. The time line has been advanced and this campaign will ultimately learn the true fate of those original characters and possible be able to succeed where they had failed.

Crothian

First Post
What would people do to update or improve Keep on the Borderlands?

Deep in the Caves of Chaos is a Medusa. I'm not going to make her purely a combat encounter. She is chained up and a prisoner so she just wants out and wants to seek revenge on those that captured her. I'm going to try to get her to convince the party to let her go. I am thinking I'll have to make her not be evil with the Paladin in the group but even if she is evil I think talking it out can get her out alive. Then once free she can become a reoccurring NPC and I can have some fun with her.

Remove ads