Talking through the Ignore Feature

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have a personal system I use to try to govern my own behavior. It’s a 3-peat. In any conversation, if we’ve gone 3 posts without any productive discussion, I disengage and don’t respond. This prevents me from needlessly continuing bad conversations or side-tracking good conversations too far from the main point.

The last word isn’t important to me. If I’m right, I’m right, regardless of who spoke last. Same if I’m wrong.
So that explains why you haven't spoken to me in years...

I kid, of course. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thus, I never - and will never - block anyone.

From before I was asked to help moderate here, I took a similar position, for similar reasons. I also feel that I’d rather know what someone who dislikes me or things, places & people I like are saying about all that. That knowledge gives me the option of engagement or not, and makes my chosen method an informed choice.

And truthfully, sometimes the people I don't want to hear are the ones I need to hear from the most...for my sake or theirs.

That doesn’t mean I always handled it well. Some things were sure to get me motivated to respond. It was negatively affecting my health. Then I saw this:
1592295468673.png

That’s when I started really learning the power of letting things go.

Last edited:

rredmond

unseenservant.us for PbP
I don't personally use the Ignore feature, but as a Mod on a couple other forums I would definitely suggest it as a tool. Not necessarily a recommendation as a tool to make your experience on the boards what you want it to be. Some people have a lower tolerance for "rude" (or whatever) than others, if they just want to flat out ignore someone to make browsing the forums more enjoyable for them, have at it! It also decreases arguments between users honeslty. Pretty much as the Mods up-thread have said :D

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I commented in the "new features" thread that Ignore Other Poster is not, and should not become, a synonym for Banish Other Poster. Some of the complaints about Ignore being ineffective may be rooted in that misconception. Ignore works entirely on your end, it does not affect anybody else - neither third parties nor the Ignored person.
I've never used Ignore, because I can keep track on my own if somebody is generally contentious or non-constructive, and just not step into the inevitable arguments.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Personally, I'm not too opposed to attacks on me because nobody here actually knows me.

If someone disagrees with me, I try to listen as best as I can and try to understand them. However, I usually don't change my mind on a subject until I'm wholly convinced, most likely from quantitative evidence. It can be difficult to convince me with how something feels or how someone thinks, but I'm willing to listen.

Even when things get heated, I try to actually get their point. If, for some reason, I feel things are getting way too negative, I'll usually stay off the site for a couple of days. If what is being discussed is still ongoing at the time, I'll weigh in again. If not, I'll let it pass.

I don't like to block/ignore anyone, though. It doesn't seem worth it until someone says "@Asisreo1 is an idiot and needs to burn." Or something really bonkers like that.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't like to block/ignore anyone, though. It doesn't seem worth it until someone says "@Asisreo1 is an idiot and needs to burn."
Hell, now and then someone says "Lanefan is an idiot and needs to burn." or words to that effect; it's water off a duck's back, and there's times when I'm almost ready to admit they have a point... :)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
There's a small handful of people I've ignored. Their posts just seem to create so much drama and the attitude that comes across when reading their posts just seemed to keep getting to me so I ignored them. Can't recall if it is on the site or just the app but I can view the ignored content if I want to, and sometimes I do to see if maybe I should take them off ignore. I think I've only undone ignore for 1 person since I've started using it, everyone else I've kept ignored and my view of the forums has been far nicer because of it.

Last edited:

Remove ads