log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E Tall's PotA Campaign - IC

Thateous

Explorer
J.V. takes out a piece of parchment and sketches the symbol on the wall before following Ilvellios out of the cavern and into the tavern. Just as he was about to find his own seat he overhears his name and joins the conversation taking place between Ilvellios, a deep gnome, and a human. "Did someone say my name? J.V. at your service."
 

log in or register to remove this ad

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Red Larch
Late afternoon

It looked like several itinerant adventurers were in the town today. “Then if you’re ready, we can leave in an hour or in the morning, whichever suits you best,” Errol told the interested parties.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Errol’s Mini Stats]
Errol Dax
AC: 15
HP: 28/28
Superiority Dice: 4/4 @ d8 (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Trip)
Arrows: 40/40
[/sblock]

 

TallIan

Explorer
Harbuk looked pleasantly surprised, "Well your little scouting mission just became quite the party. I hope you find something, I could use the relief and the money from Mirabar should be good for you. Sorry we can’t offer much more, but I'll see what I can do about getting you a free night in the Swinging Sword across the road."

With that Harbuk stands up and leads the party to the inn facing the tavern where he manages to negotiate a free room for anyone who buys a meal.

The next morning the party gathers on the road to Womford. After a few hours travel you spot carrion birds circling in the air to one side to one side of the road. In the distance in a prominent tower that commands great views over the area. Leaving the road you come to a small dip in the ground directly below where the birds were circling. Looking around you don’t require any great skill to spot that there has been a brief battle here, some arrows stick out the ground and patches of earth are torn up by scuffling feet.

You are here
 
Last edited:

Yavathol

Explorer

Walking lightly, as only a wood elf can, Ilvellios seems to enjoy the stroll and talks occasionally with his companions while staying alert for trouble. When the group reaches the battleground, he immediately stops and carefully looks around to see if any ambushers or dangerous scavengers are lurking in the undergrowth.


OOC:
[roll0]





[sblock]Ilvellios hp 21/21
Str +0(+2 Saves), Dex +3(+5 Saves), Con +1, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha -1
Acrobatics +5, Survival +5, Stealth +5, Insight +5, Perception +5
AC 16
Inspiration no
Ki: 3/3
HD: 3/3
Quarterstaff +5, 1d8+3
Unarmed/Radiant Bolt +5, 1d4+3
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...otA-Campiagn&p=6897912&viewfull=1#post6897912
[/sblock]
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Road to Womford
Morning

Before they left Red Larch, Errol took a moment to address the others, giving them encouragement in their search.

[sblock=OOC]Inspiring Leader feat. Everyone gets 5 temporary hit points.[/sblock]

As they reached the place where the carrion birds circled just off the road, Errol walked around the perimeter, trying to read the signs. Clearly a battle had been fought. The arrows and chaotic footprints were a clue. He searched around, trying to find out anything else.

[sblock=Actions]
Action: Perception: 1D20+2 = [13]+2 = 15
Move:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Errol’s Mini Stats]
Errol Dax
AC: 15
HP: 28/28 +5 thp
Superiority Dice: 4/4 @ d8 (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Trip)
Arrows: 40/40
[/sblock]

 

Thateous

Explorer
J.V. puts his face inches away from the ground, picking up small patches of grass and dropping them while observing the results. He steps carefully throughout the scene taking note of the number of steps, size of prints, depth of the impressions. He places a finger in a patch of blood, checking for volume, coagulation levels, scent, grittiness, and even taste. Finally, he retrieves and arrowhead and inspects its quality and any other identifiable characteristics in an attempt to discern its origins.

 

Yavathol

Explorer
After a short time peering around without being ambushed, Ilvellios joined the others and looked around for tracks. A look of irritation briefly crossed his face as one of the others inadvertently disturbed a bent piece of grass, but overall he was quite impressed at the attention to detail being shown by his companions.

OOC:
[roll0]
 

Trogdor1992

First Post
Snikkelfritz looks around at the area and says "Battle was seen here. How long do you think it's been since the victors left?"

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk
 

TallIan

Explorer
As the party reaches the scene of battle they notice that off in the distance flying creatures can be seen coming and going from Feathergale Spire. Considering the distance to the tower (about 8 miles) these creatures must be huge.

Ilvelios' careful assessment of the area reveals that the camp site was very well chosen. For a temporary camp this site is all anyone could ask for. The depression hides the camp from the surrounding area, and the mostly flat surroundings make it impossible to sneak up on the camp. There are some small depressions surrounding the battle site, but they couldn't hold more than 3 or 4 attackers.

Searching the area just beyond the depression that the camp was in reveals four graves hidden in their own depression. One of them has been partially dug open by scavengers.

J. V. notices that most of the arrows are imbedded in the ground at an angle that suggest extreme range when shooting or shooting from above. Given that the attackers would not be able to see into the camp when shooting from so far this would be very odd or require massed troops.

As Ilvelios tries to make sense of the tracks it emerges that there are no approaching tracks for an attacker or departing tracks for anyone. To one side of the depression is a mass of huge claw and paw marks, with human tracks leading to and from the battle site around the camp. You also find wagon tracks than arrive and stop, with no sign of a wagon.

All of this seams to have happened a little over a week ago.


GM: Because I am a bit lazy and because I don't really like the concept, I'm not using the Forgotten Realms tenday. I'm sticking to a week of seven days.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Road to Womford
Morning

Errol surveyed the field and went over to check out the graves. He poked around in the scavenged grave to see what he could find. Mounting one of the slight rises between the depressions, he looked toward the distant tower, shielding his eyes against the sun. The impression he’d gotten from those in town was that the inhabitants of Feathergale Spire were Waterdhavian dilettantes play-acting at being knights. The woman he was looking for might be there.

Errol turned back to the campsite. Things here were mighty strange and didn’t add up. There were no signs of the attackers, other than the arrows. Being an archer himself, Errol knew how it worked, and the trajectories were...off.

“I wonder if anyone at the tower saw anything,” Errol mused, looking in the direction of Feathergale Spire once more.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Errol’s Mini Stats]
Errol Dax
AC: 15
HP: 28/28 +5 thp
Superiority Dice: 4/4 @ d8 (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Trip)
Arrows: 40/40
[/sblock]

 

Yavathol

Explorer

"It doesn't sit well with me, disturbing the dead, but maybe we should see who exactly is buried here, and if they match our missing delegation. Not sure if I have any shovel or spade with me though." Ilvellios pulls off his backpack and rummages around for a digging utensil.


[sblock]Ilvellios hp 21/21 thp 5/5
Str +0(+2 Saves), Dex +3(+5 Saves), Con +1, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha -1
Acrobatics +5, Survival +5, Stealth +5, Insight +5, Perception +5
AC 16
Inspiration no
Ki: 3/3
HD: 3/3
Quarterstaff +5, 1d8+3
Unarmed/Radiant Bolt +5, 1d4+3
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...otA-Campiagn&p=6897912&viewfull=1#post6897912
[/sblock]
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Road to Womford
Morning

“One of them is already disturbed,” Errol told Ilvellios. “We will just see what it tells us and put it back,” he assured the elf. “We need to figure out who these are.”

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Errol’s Mini Stats]
Errol Dax
AC: 15
HP: 28/28 +5 thp
Superiority Dice: 4/4 @ d8 (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Trip)
Arrows: 40/40
[/sblock]

 

TallIan

Explorer
A cursory examination of the graves shows that the dead have not so much been laid to rest as they have been disposed of and concealed. The partially scavenged corpse appears to be that of a dwarf, the tattered remains of a fine robe decorated with hammer and anvil signals suggest a high status commoner, someone high in a guild hierarchy perhaps.

The graves are mostly shallow scoops of earth with rocks piled on top, it is easy enough to uncover without the aid of digging tools. The second grave holds a human woman dressed in a red surcoat with a symbol of a black axe on it. Her and the dwarf appear to have been killed from behind. T

he third grave contains a human man dressed in strange armour, it looks similar to plate mail but is made of stone. There is no apparent means of holding the armour together or on to the wearer and any blow to the armour would surely shatter the stone. He appears to have been killed by arrows. Over the left breast is a symbol etched into the stone that Ilvelios and JV will recognise from the cavern in Red Larch. Earth

The final grave contains another human man dressed in white robes with a feather mantle. He appears to have been killed my a mace or similar weapon. He also has a symbol on the left breast of his robe, though this one is different. Air

[SBLOCK=History Check 10+] For those who roll a 10 or more on a knowledge history check the woman's surcoat is the uniform of the Mirabar army.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Detect Magic]A detect magic spell will reveal a residual aura of magic on the stony armour, though the magic is fading[/SBLOCK]
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Road to Womford
Morning

As they uncovered the dead, Errol studied them. He didn’t recognize the woman or dwarf’s regalia, and the stone armor was strange.

“Anyone make anything out?” he asked the others.

[sblock=Actions]
Action: History: 1D20 = [7] = 7
Move:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Errol’s Mini Stats]
Errol Dax
AC: 15
HP: 28/28 +5 thp
Superiority Dice: 4/4 @ d8 (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Trip)
Arrows: 40/40
[/sblock]

 

Thateous

Explorer
JV removes the parchment he sketched on earlier and held it up to the symbol etched on the man's armor. "An exact match!" he said, a little too loudly perhaps. He then moved over to the white robed man and began to copy the symbol on his robe. "What does it all mean?" he said aloud.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
 

Yavathol

Explorer

"What a motley collection of cadavers..I recognise that symbol on the stone armor, saw it in the Red Larch sinkhole but don't know what it means. Since there are no tracks leading away, the survivors must have flown away or used magical transport."

OOC:
[roll0]



[sblock]Ilvellios hp 21/21 thp: 5/5
Str +0(+2 Saves), Dex +3(+5 Saves), Con +1, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha -1
Acrobatics +5, Survival +5, Stealth +5, Insight +5, Perception +5
AC 16
Inspiration no
Ki: 3/3
HD: 3/3
Quarterstaff +5, 1d8+3
Unarmed/Radiant Bolt +5, 1d4+3
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...otA-Campiagn&p=6897912&viewfull=1#post6897912
[/sblock]
 


TallIan

Explorer
GM: Forgot to add that although Snikkelfritz has never seen the symbol before, he's heard a description that could be the symbol on the stony armour in his quest to find the earthshattering blow.
 


TallIan

Explorer
No need to roll. From your search you have heard of a monastic order called the Order of the Sacred Stone, they could be identified by a symbol of a triangle with a mark in the centre, but you have never seen it. They use powerful earth based magic capable of holding off attacks or shattering the very ground your enemy walks on.

None of the information you could find is more than about 5 years old and the Order of the Sacred Stone seem to have a feud with another monastic order because they are "flighty" and "unreliable" but you couldn't find lot of information on them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top