5E Talls S&H adventure

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Eowyn Rosebud
Early Morning
Gravesford
Round 6

OOC: Didn’t see a map, so assuming she can safely get to Orin, Eowyn will use Cure Wounds. If not, she will use Healing Word.


With Saarthax back on his feet and rushing to U’Tempei’s aid, Eowyn crept quietly along the grassy bank to where Orin, the warbred, lay unconscious. She chewed a few leaves from a pouch at her belt and put them in his mouth, making the sound of a warbler.

[sblock=Eowyn’s Actions]
Magic Stone: 3 stones

Save:
Move: To Orin
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Cast Cure Wounds
Cure Wounds second level: 2d8+4 13
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Concentration: Faerie Fire
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +2
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 16
HP: 34/34 HD: 5/5d8+2

Spells
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Magic Stone, Resistance
1) 3/4 Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire, Healing Word
2) 2/3 Enhance Ability, Healing Spirit, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Pass Without Trace
3) 0/2 Dispel Magic
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party Loot]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
U'Tempei !Nothen - human eldritch knight
Arcata Dulat - human divination wizard
Saarthax - dragonborn paladin
Orin - warbred mastermind rogue
[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Saarthax nods at U'Tempei after the orc between them falls face down into the river, its blood dripping from the axe in Saarthax' hands. Then both combatants turn their attention to the lone hulking brute who is now harrassing Bertold.

"Surrender!" the dragonborn paladin shouts, putting the power of the Gods behind the word and, hopefully, forcing the orc to give up the fight.

Bertold, now holding his bleeding flank with one hand, crouches in a defensive position, giving the juggernaut the opportunity to surrender but staying ready to continue the fight.

OOC:
TallIan said:
just to explain my thought process with Bertold: He would normally have heavy armour (AC18), but since he just awoke, and hasn't had the 10 mins to don heavy armour, would not be wearing it. While collecting Saarthax's gear he's thrown a few bits on himself to get medium armour (AC15)
That seems very reasonable.

Saarthax: Move closer to the juggernaut (within 60 feet). Action: Cast Command (DC13) on the juggernaut; save or must follow the command "surrender" for 1 round (which hopefull is enough).
Bertold: Ready action: Attack if juggernaut starts making an attack against anyone.

[sblock=Temporary stats]AC 10 (nightshirt only)
HP 11/44
Greataxe +7 (1d12+4 slashing)
Spell slots used:
level 1: 4/4
level 2: 0/2 [/sblock]
 

Herosmith14

Villager
Orin coughs and groans as he rolls over onto his side, looking into the eyes of the polder who just healed him. "Than' ye," he mutters as he wipes a bit of spittle off onto his wrist. The warbred's eyes wander upwards towards the hulking monster who had brought him down, now sparkling with arcane dust and convulsing from electric shock. His eyes narrow as he spots a gap in the juggernauts armor, just below the small of the back.

"This is for the 'eadache, monster," the rogue hisses as he leaps from the ground, into a full sprint, tearing his blade from its scabbard like a cobra lunging for its victim. The iron shortsword is silently plunged into the chink in the beasts armor as Orin quickly ducks a retaliatory swing, rolling back to a safe distance.

OOC: Alright, let's do this! Arcata, I'm assuming it's alright for me to take that crit, but if not I'll still roll attack and separate the crit damage.

Move: 15 to get up, and 15 ft more towards the juggernaut. Dash to close the gap, attack, and back off 15ft since he can't take reactions.

Bonus Action: Dash

Action: Attack the juggernaut w/ shortsword - [roll0] adv cause faerie fire. [roll1]

Damage: (Realize I don't need a flank because of advantage, so yay!)
Normal: [roll2]
If crit add: [roll3] (Doubled Sword + Sneak Attack, plus Savage Attacks)

Consumables:
Health: 13/43
Relentless Endurance: 1/1
Arrows: 18/20
 

TallIan

Explorer
Despite Saarthax' best effort to bring about a peaceful end to the fight the orc refuses to surrender. Under the determined onslaught of the group the raging juggernaut is brought down.

The noise of battle is replaced by the more distant noise of the fire in the village. A mob of 12 villagers, armed with pitchforks and crossbows rushes noisily towards you, intent on helping. The relief of many of their faces is obvious when they see the fight is over.

Back in the town, Pinns's cottage is burning low as a group of villagers, armed with buckets, keeps the fire from spreading. "Something in there don't like water." Someone says. "Nearly went up again when Harry threw a bucket on it, so we left it and just made sure the fire di'nt spread."

GM:
I thought Orc 1 was killed by Saarthax. Assuming that's true...
He did, I just forgot to update the HPs

Juggernaught save: 1d20+3 21
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
U'Tempei

"Perhaps the leader is carrying evidence of a reason for this attack?" she says to the group before the villagers approach Afterward, "Or, perhaps we should look into this fire that dislikes water."
 

TallIan

Explorer
The three orc archers have longbows and 20 arrows each, a battle axe and studded leather.
The other two orcs have a battle axe; two javelins and studded leather
The Juggernaut has plate, shield and a longsword - all are far too big to be used and crudely made but the metal would be worth 500GP to a blacksmith.
The warspeaker has a robe with scraps of chain and bone sewn into it (the metal is worth 50GP); a whip; a spiked club and a medalion with a symbol of an axe with a bloody hand painted on the blade.

There is a fairly clear trail heading from the river towards the wood.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Eowyn Rosebud
Early Morning
Gravesford
Round 0

With the giant orc falling dead, Eowyn gave a little clap, hopping up and down. She made soft cooing noises over their injuries as they headed back to the village where the burning building was contained. She frowned as she studied the fire.

Nature to see why the fire can’t be put out: Nature: 1d20 20

[sblock=Eowyn’s Actions]
Magic Stone: 3 stones

Save:
Move: To Orin
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +2
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 16
HP: 34/34 HD: 5/5d8+2

Spells
Fey Energy Pool: 5d6 dice of healing +1 thp/die spent
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Magic Stone, Resistance
1) 3/4 Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire, Healing Word
2) 2/3 Enhance Ability, Healing Spirit, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Pass Without Trace
3) 0/2 Dispel Magic
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party Loot]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
U'Tempei !Nothen - human eldritch knight
Arcata Dulat - human divination wizard
Saarthax - dragonborn paladin
Orin - warbred mastermind rogue
[/sblock]
 

TallIan

Explorer
Eowyn isn't sure exactly what it is but she's fairly sure it is not natural. Then again Pinna was keen on collecting strange ingredients and reagents for her spells and charms.

She wasn't crazy though - nothing she kept was particularly dangerous, so the villagers approach seems best. Leave it to burn out. Apart from an occasional pop or flash, there fire is low enough that it isn't a threat to the rest of the village now.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Help me get my armor on," Saarthax urges Bertold while rushing towards his gear, dropped unceremoniously to the ground only moments before. "There could be more orcs around."

Looking around, the dragonborn shouts after the others as they run back towards the village, "Did anyone see the prisoner?"

OOC: Donning armor with the help of Bertold, which will take some time. Then, unless something happens that may change Saarthax' priorities, they will rush after the others in order to help control the fire and defend the town.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Eowyn Rosebud
Early Morning
Gravesford
Round 0

Eowyn paused as Saarthax yelled after them about the prisoner. She pointed across the river to where the tracks continued on into the wode. Then she continued on to the village.

After determining why the fire wouldn’t go out, Eowyn helped the villagers simply contain it, and eventually it died down to safe levels. Then she turned to help treat any burns or other injuries anyone might have sustained.

[sblock=Eowyn’s Actions]
Magic Stone: 3 stones

Save:
Move: To Orin
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +2
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 16
HP: 34/34 HD: 5/5d8+2

Spells
Fey Energy Pool: 5d6 dice of healing +1 thp/die spent
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Magic Stone, Resistance
1) 3/4 Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire, Healing Word
2) 2/3 Enhance Ability, Healing Spirit, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Pass Without Trace
3) 0/2 Dispel Magic
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party Loot]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
U'Tempei !Nothen - human eldritch knight
Arcata Dulat - human divination wizard
Saarthax - dragonborn paladin
Orin - warbred mastermind rogue
[/sblock]
 

TallIan

Explorer
As the fire burns low the villagers start to drift back to their homes, Eowyn tends to some of the injuries from the fire. There are a few minor burns and some grazed knees where people have tripped over in the dark, but no one is seriously hurt.

As the first hint of dawn breaks over the horizon something seems to be happening in the town square as a crowd starts to gather. As you approach you hear a voice giving an impassioned speech. "...let this go unanswered. The brutes will be gone before Sir Pelleton even gets back to the village. If they are raiding our village it is only because they fear our numbers. We need to raise a posse and chase these vermin down!" Standing on a barrel Carroc beseeches the villagers to follow and attack the orcs to rescue Pinna and his fine words are beginning to gain traction. There are a few affirmative cheers and a few of the men are even beginning to turn up with scythes and pitchforks, even one or two crossbows.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Saarthax is now in his armor and together with Bertold he is trying to help out the villagers, when he hears the speech from the town square. Moving closer, he manages to catch the last few sentences before the crowd really gets into it.

Exchanging quick glances with the others who went after the orcs, the dragonborn decides to act.

"Evil dwells where good people do nothing," the paladin calls out in response to Carroc, moving closer to the center of the square, very aware that his fully armed and armored appearance can be impressive.

"So I am very pleased to see so many of you ready to act. Myself and these good people--", he motions vaguely towards Orin, U'Tempei, Arcata, Eowyn and his friend Bertold, "--had already decided to go after these orcs at first light, so I welcome any who would help in this endeavor. I must warn each of you, however, that this is a dangerous mission!"

He looks around at the villagers, wondering who would volunteer, then fixes his gaze on Carroc. Saarthax' draconic visage is impossible to read and could be interpreted as either an invitation or a challenge by the wealthy villager.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Eowyn Rosebud
Early Morning
Gravesford
Round 0

Eowyn frowned as she returned to the village center and heard Carroc rousing the crowd into vengeance. She feared the people would be hurt. She looked over at Saarthax as he joined in the encouragement. Pinna was a friend, though, and well liked by the people, so she understood, but these were not soldiers, and those orcs had been formidable warriors.

[sblock=Eowyn’s Actions]
Save:
Move: To Orin
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +2
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 16
HP: 34/34 HD: 5/5d8+2

Spells
Fey Energy Pool: 5d6 dice of healing +1 thp/die spent
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Magic Stone, Resistance
1) 3/4 Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire, Healing Word
2) 2/3 Enhance Ability, Healing Spirit, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Pass Without Trace
3) 0/2 Dispel Magic
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party Loot]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
U'Tempei !Nothen - human eldritch knight
Arcata Dulat - human divination wizard
Saarthax - dragonborn paladin
Orin - warbred mastermind rogue
[/sblock]
 

TallIan

Explorer
OOC: If no one wants to add anything more to scene with the gathering townsfolk I'll move things along tomorrow.
 

Shayuri

Villager
Arcata watched the mob with a stirring of trepidation. Something about the whole situation felt off to her. The fire in the hut...the attack, which was powerful but rather small after all. What had the orcs hoped to achieve? That hadn't been a raiding party.

She goes over to Saarthax and looks up at him, trying to catch his eyes. When he glances at her, she says, "A word?" quietly, so as not to attract too much attention from people other than him.

It wouldn't do to interrupt his speech, but she didn't want to involve villagers yet. There were too many unknowns to lead a pumped-up crowd of farmers and craftsmen into the swamp to face orcs in combat.

A voice from behind her cleared his throat, and Arcata looked back to see Gavien there. She nodded at him and held a finger up to let him know she'd be with him momentarily.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Saarthax still waits for Carroc's response when Arcata tries to get his attention. After a few seconds of ignoring her, he finally gives in.

Taking the human woman aside, Saarthax seems eager to get it over, glancing at the crowd every now and then to see what's going on.

"What is it?"
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
U'Tempei wonders about the man stirring up the crowd to vengeance. She is unsure of local customs but his attempt seems out of place. These villagers are not warriors like those of her tribe. She looks at the faces of those she recently fought with and many of them seem concerned, as well. She is not sure if it is her place to speak out against a plan to seek revenge.

OOC: Motive check on Carroc: Insight [roll0]
 

Shayuri

Villager
"It's premature to stir these people against the orcs," Arcata says forthrightly. "We don't know what's going on yet. Our next move is to scout the orcs, see what they're doing and who they're doing it with. What happened here today was not normal orc behavior, Saarthax. Raising a mob could be playing right into our enemies' hands."
 

TallIan

Explorer
Carroc stiffens when Saarthax talks but pointedly ignores the dragonborn. Instead he takes the encouraging words and tries to turn them to his own, glancing nervously at Saarthax from the corner of his eye every few heartbeats. Carroc's relief is clear when Arcata pulls Sarrthax to one side.

The crowd grows slowly, attracting mostly young men armed with farm implements, but there are one or two with small swords, a bow and a few slings. Roughly a score of villagers are supplemented by half a dozen dogs. Some of the women start to bring some basic provisions as well; bread, salted pork, a few caged chickens and even a pig.

U'Tempei watches all this and is struck with the realisation that Sir Peleton promised a knighthood and considerable gold to the person who deals with the orcs. Even a rudemntary understanding of feudalism would suggest that all these people are not going to get a knighthood, most likely only the leader - Carroc.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
U'Tempei

U'Tempei calls out. "I am a simple traveler so this is none of my concern. But I do hate to see good people throw their lives away for the benefit of others. If all of you go take care of Sir Peleton's Orc problem as a group, which of you do you think he will grant the status of knight? Are you risking your lives for the town or is this loud gentleman attempting to get you to fight for his promotion? All of you will not survive battle with the orcs. Is what you will gain proportioned to what you might lose?"
 

Advertisement

Top