D&D 5E (Tasha's) Decoupling racial abilities--cautionary tale

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
I wonder if I can make a half elf with no stat boosts at all but a feat and a free cantrip...

I wonder if I can make a “half dwarf” human with stone cunning.

i wonder if I can make a drow with Different spell like abilities...

Back in 2e I had a drow wizard who could travel to alternat prime realms... he found that drow in different worlds had different traits and was trying to duplicate them... I would love to replay antra

Weiley31

Legend
I mean, I look at it more like a "Create-your own-Race" if it's done good. Granted, it'll let ya use options that normally wouldn't synergize well with a class. As much as I'm for Roleplaying, I'll admit that with 5E, it made sense to pick a race that had it's ability score modifiers be the ones that your Class(sub) favored. Which is a moot point if one of the rule options in Tasha's is replacing the Class Modifier Reliance with your Proficiency score. Which was something they did in a couple of the more recent UA's.

At least the ability to change up the racial ability modifiers will open more options. Like a Kobold Rune Knight or a Orc Wizard.(Yay Oni/Ogre Mage now!)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have to admit, this Lineage system is one of the most potentially exciting game-changers on the Edition so far.

When I started DMing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, back in the day, I asked one of the players what Race she wanted to play, and she responded that she wanted to be an anthropomorphic Badger. I was willing to roll with it, but one of the other players threw a fit that it wasn't an option in the book, and the first player backed off of the idea.

I hope this allows the smooth creation of an anthropomorphic Badger, or whatever else tickles someone's imagination.

I wonder if they developed this system over the past couple years to make the new Races that appeared in the Setting books...

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
I mean, I look at it more like a "Create-your own-Race" if it's done good. Granted, it'll let ya use options that normally wouldn't synergize well with a class. As much as I'm for Roleplaying, I'll admit that with 5E, it made sense to pick a race that had it's ability score modifiers be the ones that your Class(sub) favored. Which is a moot point if one of the rule options in Tasha's is replacing the Class Modifier Reliance with your Proficiency score. Which was something they did in a couple of the more recent UA's.

At least the ability to change up the racial ability modifiers will open more options. Like a Kobold Rune Knight or a Orc Wizard.(Yay Oni/Ogre Mage now!)
Right now I have a 12th level variant human warlock. Her origin is pretty messed up, she was a soldier (her background) but she died in a war... 6 months later she woke up in Baba Yaga hut... where her strength was sapped from her but all of her scars removed and her broken nose no longer looked like it had been broken multi times... she walked with a bit of a limp but... she now had innate magic (get lock warlock of BY)

if this book had been out I would have tried for some undead traits

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I have to admit, this Lineage system is one of the most potentially exciting game-changers on the Edition so far.

When I started DMing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, back in the day, I asked one of the players what Race she wanted to play, and she responded that she wanted to be an anthropomorphic Badger. I was willing to roll with it, but one of the other players threw a fit that it wasn't an option in the book, and the first player backed off of the idea.

I hope this allows the smooth creation of an anthropomorphic Badger, or whatever else tickles someone's imagination.

I wonder if they developed this system over the past couple years to make the new Races that appeared in the Setting books...
To be fair, if a player expresses outrage that I'm allowing an option "not in the book", they can get the heck out of my game.

Weiley31

Legend
Right now I have a 12th level variant human warlock. Her origin is pretty messed up, she was a soldier (her background) but she died in a war... 6 months later she woke up in Baba Yaga hut... where her strength was sapped from her but all of her scars removed and her broken nose no longer looked like it had been broken multi times... she walked with a bit of a limp but... she now had innate magic (get lock warlock of BY)

if this book had been out I would have tried for some undead traits
If you have the Wildemount book, you can give her the Hollow One Supernatural Gift. Your classified as Undead via type but you still keep your racial abilities and scores.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Agreed. Right along with a player who expresses outrage that I'm not allowing a certain race that is in a book in my games.
Totally fair. I'm usually willing to work with a player to reskin, but there are just some racial concepts that don't work for certain types of campaigns. My list of excluded races for my last game I set in Ravnica was pretty long.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases