D&D 5E (Tasha's) Decoupling racial abilities--cautionary tale

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I don't honestly believe this will fundamentally change how anyone plays D&D. Whether you you like these new options or not, I don't think they will have a significant impact on how the game is actually played. A Gnome with a 20 Strength might be stupid, or cool if that's what you like, but it's not like bringing a Goliath with a 20 Strength is going to have a different experience with the adventure.

I agree with this. Here is a semi-related example.

Friend created gnome barbarian, and joined our group. Had a greatsword of course.

Wasn't until 2nd level that we realized the gnome should have disadvantage with a large weapon.

Thought about it a minute, remembered he had been raised by Neanderthals, shrugged and said "carry on".

Unique situation, but re: quote, it didnt fundamentally over power his character because of race or ability.

Not a "big" fan of customizing races, as I feel some species in a fantasy world would share similar traits, but we won't let it stop our game and might use some bits of the idea.

Undrave

Legend
If this is true, it is interesting to me.
Part of the fun of character creation (for many) is figuring out what jigsaw puzzle-piece to place in each of the the steps for character creation. It is definitely a mini-game within a game to many players. The puzzle has 25 ways to solve it, but only 5 are obvious. So players spend time figuring out how to make the other 20. That is fun for them, and still completes the puzzle.
Removing it is giving the players playdough. Many (especially new players) will make a blob. Others will sculpt The David.

I think it'll be more like going from Duplo to LEGO. It's the same principle, but you get a few more smaller pieces instead.

G

Guest 6801328

I predict this will be a huge headache for the DNDBeyond devs.
It would be hilarious to find out that there’s bad blood between WotC staff and DNDB staff, and one of the things driving design decisions is &$@#ing with the DNDB team.

On the other hand, I really liked that in the playtest DnDnext there was an iteration where classes gave +1 to their main stat. So I would not mind if being an elf would only come with +1 dexterity.

Yes, I have houseruled back in the class ability score increase from the playtest, so a High Elf Fighter would start with:

Elf
Ability Score Increase:
Your Dexterity score increases by 1

High Elf
Ability Score Increase:
Your Intelligence score increases by 1

Fighter
Ability Score Increase:
Your Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution score increases by 1

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It's always irritated me they they don't make Duplo to Lego connecting pieces.

I'm embarrassed to say I just assumed it wouldn't work and never actually tried this myself... but apparently they can connect. (Did the older Duplo have solid bumps at the top so it wouldn't have worked, or did our little one just have an offbrand of Duplo sized blocks?)

Attachments

• 1598962861944.png
    1598962861944.png
    160.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
I'm embarrassed to say I just assumed it wouldn't work and never actually tried this myself... but apparently they can connect. (Did the older Duplo have solid mumps at the top so it wouldn't have worked, or did our little one just have an offbrand of Duplo sized blocks?)

Probably off brand, I'm guessing Mega Bloks. Only base plates had solid pegs in Duplo.

Remove ads