Technobabble In RPGs

Sometimes you need to produce spontaneous scientific jargon in your game. Your PCs need to oscillate the anterior nadion actuator or invert the ambient access manifold. Maybe it's important that somebody harmonise the magnetic flux stabiliser. Technobabble, a feature of Star Trek and Doctor Who, can inject some atmosphere into your game. The following table uses a d66 (roll d6 twice, the first being 'tens' and the second being 'ones') to randomly generate one of 46,656 different combinations.

Sometimes you need to produce spontaneous scientific jargon in your game. Your PCs need to oscillate the anterior nadion actuator or invert the ambient access manifold. Maybe it's important that somebody harmonise the magnetic flux stabiliser. Technobabble, a feature of Star Trek and Doctor Who, can inject some atmosphere into your game. The following table uses a d66 (roll d6 twice, the first being 'tens' and the second being 'ones') to randomly generate one of 46,656 different combinations.

Read in the format alpha the beta gamma delta.

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 23.43.20.png

Taken from What's OLD is NEW
SaveSaveSaveSave

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cool table. I've added it to the RandomTableWiki. You can use this link to roll it:

http://randomtablewiki.paladinpgm.com/rolltable.rtw?RollRequest=[Thing/Technobabble]

And this link to edit the table:
https://sites.google.com/a/paladinpgm.com/randomtablewiki/randomtables/thing/technobabble

And since the table can be edited, "reverse polarity of the neutron flow" is now a possible result :)

If you're going to copy my work, some credit or acknowledgment would be appreciated, at the least. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
The wiki page clearly credits you, has a link back to this thread, as well as a link to What's OLD is NEW. If you want something more than that, I'm happy to oblige.

I'll post it if folks like this one. I also have tables for alchemy, herbalism, and computers.

Herbalism -- Soup of the lotus-fig bean.
Computers -- Recompile the auxiliary data kernel.
Alchemy -- Dilute limestone in a sapphire goblet.

Please post them all. These are awesome!

dwayne

Adventurer
I have a medical one, too.

Excise the inflamed pituitary cluster!

Replace the infected berylite genome!

Cauterize the misaligned synaptic gland!

I'll post it if folks like this one. I also have tables for alchemy, herbalism, and computers.

Herbalism -- Soup of the lotus-fig bean.
Computers -- Recompile the auxiliary data kernel.
Alchemy -- Dilute limestone in a sapphire goblet.

So far everything you are doing is just gold to me, can not wait for your books I will own them all. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, I'll post another one next week. Any preferences? I have Medicine, Computers, Alchemy, and Herbalism.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads