• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleport hazardous or even impossible

czak808

First Post
"... strong physical or magical energy may make teleportation more hazardous or even impossible" (PHB 293).

What situations would make this plausible.
Wall of Fire, Gate, readying to hit a caster with a fireball?

What situational physical energies would do this?

Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
czak808 said:
"... strong physical or magical energy may make teleportation more hazardous or even impossible" (PHB 293).

There are no guidelines, it's a weasel clause for DMs to make an on-the-fly ruling that HERE teleporting is dangerous or impossible as opposed to THERE where it works as normal.
I follow the advice of the Dungeonomicon and revise teleport so that any space separated from the caster by more than 40 feet of earth can't be teleported into without a portal or a teleport circle.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
czak808 said:

Maybe the Gate at the DM's call. It is an open ended clause that allows for situations not covered explicitly by the rules.

Wild magic zones, Far Rælm cankers, Dual dimensioned locations, Magnetic fields and many other Fantasy and Sci-fi tropes can monkey with teleportation.

czak808

First Post
I like to have some "in the background" things going with my wiz; base of operation, hechmen/ followers (non-Leadership). So I was thinking of ways to buff my sanctum, making it more difficult for enemies to operate in it.

Finding this phrase got me wondering if I could use it to make invaders/ enemies less effective on my home turf. And if so, how I could orchestrate it.

Another thought this inspired was, would the effect extend to other methods of "transposition"; d-door, ethereal jaunt, etc... RAW lawyers need not respond...

And why do you find it necessary to copy the original post in your replies? Its the original post that draws people to the thread, I'm pretty sure they read it...

Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

Folly

First Post
To do this I would use Hallow as a template of how to execute this. Since Hallow already allows you to bind a dimensional anchor to the area of the Hallow and allows you to exempt certain groups. This would work against all Conjuration(Teleportation) spells, but wouldnt work against ethereal jaunt or other methods of walking through walls.

To resolve the ethereal jaunt, you could use permanency wall of force with some adjustments to make it fit the design of your sanctum. Since force effects extend to the ethereal plane, it would prevent entry in this way. This would have the added benefit of preventing pass-wall or other methods of going through the wall. Though if someone is using Disintegrate, they could still get it, though it would take two instead of one.

Pyrex

First Post
Arguably, since it uses Dimensional Anchor instead of Dimensional Lock, Hallow does not prevent anyone from teleporting into it's area.

Instead, upon entering the area of the Hallow the creature is then targeted with a Dimensional Anchor and can't teleport *out*.

If you want to keep people *out* you need Forbiddance.

Pyrex

First Post
However, on a more helpful note, I'm all for house-ruling things to make defending locations agains magical assaults possible.

One idea I saw in another thread I liked was to make a certain substance (hereafter referred to as Upsiedaisium) function as a magnet for teleport spells.

Each unit of Upsiedaisium creates a 1% teleport deviation within a 100 yard radius or so.

So prosperous town might have a large Upsidaisium platform. People teleporting to it have their error reduced by 20%. Anyone trying to teleport near it has a chance of being teleported to it instead. (Someone trying to teleport 1000 yards away would have a 10% chance of being diverted directly to the platform instead.)

Your BBEG would obviously place an large upsidaisium teleportation circle in a secure location. :]

Darklone

IMC I'm running a Stargate campaign right now... interdimensional travel to Kalamar (Tellene) and Krynn is very dangerous and prone to being intercepted by devil strike teams if you don't use the gates.

Travel between other "prime material places" is only prone to being intercepted by devils. Bad enough.

PS: There are pretty obvious reasons IMC why these two worlds are protected.

The heat and tectonic energy inside (or near) an active volcano would likely count as physical energy that might hamper teleportation... Excessively high winds, raging seas, or other extreme natural phenomena could do so as well...

There may also be some natural, magical, or alchemical materials (mixing your castle's mortar with gorgon's blood, for instance) that exist that could hamper teleportation in an area, as well.

Your best bet would be to check with your DM about these sorts of things. Or, if you are the DM, make something up. Be sure to intodurce the concept to your players before it kills them, though.

Later
silver

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads