Tell me about your favorite theme park attractions

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In three and a half days, I'm on vacation and we're going to Disneyland for several days. (We're locals and are driving there, rather than paying the OMG prices for the Disneyland hotel, which is apparently quite spiffy.)

My oldest kid is a few years away from graduating high school and SoCal high schools almost uniformly have a Disneyland grad night, so this is probably the last time all four of us will be going to Disneyland for the foreseeable future. We're going to be doing Disneyland, then California Adventure and then back to Disneyland, probably for all the Star Wars stuff, which none of us has ever been to. We've got a ton of favorites picked out for the first two days especially.

All of this has me thinking about other theme parks I've enjoyed around the country and overseas.

What are your favorites, either in whole or in part?

Mad_Jack

Legend
When I was doing Rocky Horror, I went to a convention in Orlando, FL - we held the shadowcast of the movie at Universal Studios Citywalk. It was really cool because I got to see LEGOLAND.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Not like I really have one, but my nephews are going to Japan next month for 2 weeks to visit family. Mom was supposed to go, but had a mini-stroke event and fall... so she's not going, nor I as care-giver. But one of their planned excursions in Japan, is an actual old insane asylum that has been converted into a high tech horror show with actors. No ride, but you walk through the place. They say it's so scary there are two early exits so patrons can leave the premises and get the Hell outta there. My daughter would love something like that. I'd like to see that...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not like I really have one, but my nephews are going to Japan next month for 2 weeks to visit family. Mom was supposed to go, but had a mini-stroke event and fall... so she's not going, nor I as care-giver. But one of their planned excursions in Japan, is an actual old insane asylum that has been converted into a high tech horror show with actors. No ride, but you walk through the place. They say it's so scary there are two early exits so patrons can leave the premises and get the Hell outta there. My daughter would love something like that. I'd like to see that...
This is a real rollercoaster of a post. I'm sorry about what happened to your mom. That's awful.

And converting a former asylum into a haunted house feels almost too easy -- it's got to be incredibly effective.

fba827

Adventurer
Haunted mansion. It has excellent ambience and effects. A strong enough narrative.

Also white water canyon ( it’s at a local theme park but I’m positive other places have similar things. You sit in a large circular 6 person thing that is basically a large tire with seats in a circle. It floats around a water track, some rapids and splashes). I find it just very relaxing but exciting at the same time. And if it is a hot day the water splashes are nice and welcome.

aco175

Legend
Can't believe nobody posted this yet.

1679444388218.png

We are going to Colonial Williamsburg in a few weeks myself. Not sure if the two high-school kids will enjoy it that much. Last years we went on a cruise in the Caribbean and that may prove better for them.

Undrave

Legend
I went to Tokyo DisneySea 10 years ago and I plan on going back there this fall on a trip to Japan and I CANNOT WAIT.

I think my favorite ride there was Journey to the Center of the Earth! Such a unique ride and it's full of surprises! I went basically blind and I was so surprised by it and it was absolutely amazing! If you intend to go there one day, I urge you not to look up ride through videos.

In the same area of the park (Disney Sea as Port of Calls and not Lands), Mysterious Island, was 20 000 League Under the Sea! It's a Dark Ride that simulates amazingly a trip under the water. It is incredibly charming and also has its own fun surprises and unique characters. It also has short standby time during the off-season. It's practically walk on in the evening.

Their version of Indiana Jones is a hoot (and has a Single Rider Line the locals never use :p ), though it uses the same track layout as the Anaheim version it has an Aztec theme! The cue winds through the interior of an impressive pyramid!

I'm particularly looking forward to riding their Sinbad ride because it was closed the last time I was there. I hope it doesn't happen again ><. The song for this attraction is pretty amazing. It's called Compass of your Heart and was composed by Alan Menken. The ride itself plays it in Japanese but an English version exists if you want to listen to it.

Sadly, my second favorite ride in the park is no more, having being re-themed to a Finding Nemo ride in an effort to bring more IPs to a park often viewed as an 'Adult Park' or a 'Date Spot'. the reskin looks serviceable, and they added much needed shade to the outdoor queue area, but I'm sad I only ever got to ride it once... Let me introduce you to Storm Rider :

It also had amazing surprises I wasn't expecting.

DisneySea also has a fun show called Big Band Beat featuring Big Band era music, with Disney Characters dancing the swing and culminating in a drum solo by Mickey Mouse himself. It was a hoot!

I live in Florida, so just stepping outside my house is like entering a theme park with multiple themes... 80% "the horror".

I haven't been to a theme park in years. I kind of want to. Maybe i'll take advantage of some of the travel I do for work and visit one of the Orlando parks.

Remove ads