Tell me about your favorite theme park attractions

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've been to a few parks including:
Six Flags Great America (my closest one and the one I've been to the most)
Disneyland
Disney World
Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Valleyfair
Hershey Park
Six Flags St Louis
Universal Orlando
Legoland Windsor
Mount Olympus (where I worked a summer back when it was still Familyland)

By my memory, Six Flags Great America and Busch Gardens Williamsburg had the best roller coasters - usually my favorite reason for going to amusement parks.
Disney World, however, had the best hospitality since we stayed at the resort and went to multiple parks while there. They DO hospitality.
Legoland Windsor was kind of cool, but it was also October so the weather was getting cold, meaning it wasn't quite as fun as it could have been.
Universal Orlando's Harry Potter areas are VERY immersive. That was extremely cool. But they were split into the two Universal parks on site so you had to get the park hopper pass to go to both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. And that was expensive. Plus, Jo Rowling lumps my daughter in with rapists lurking in bathrooms and women's prisons so we're never effing going there again unless she recants and pays through the nose to atone for her statements.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Used to go to Great Adventure (Six Flags: Great Adventure for all you non-NJ people) all the time when younger. Actually had two friends working for the Totally Fun Company (yes, that was it's name) doing stage productions and they funneled me most of their free tickets, so one summer I was there all the time.

Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Hershey Park, all several times. I've been to both US Disneys when a kid, only Disney World (twice) as an adult.

Interesting and little known one in the Pennsylvania area nto too far from the New Jersey border is a Knoebels. Good roller coasters including two wooden ones, good food, and cheap compared to all the rest. With attached (and detached) campgrounds where you can just walk (or shuttle) in.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I loved classic "fun houses" with my favorite being Cyclone Sadie's at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City (the attraction was closed in the late 80s or early 90s as fun houses fell out of fashion at theme parks). Also, Terror on Church Street in Orlando, which I first learned about when I was gifted a t-shirt from the attraction.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I visited Disneyland for the first time almost a year ago, and had a wonderful time. My sister lives out there and is a fan, with a season pass, so that helped. We optimized it pretty well.

The Star Wars rides and area were probably our favorites (Rise of the Resistance is incredible, but Smuggler's Run is super fun as well), but the Indiana Jones ride and Space Mountain were also amazing. I was definitely a fan of the Matterhorn as well.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I visited Disneyland for the first time almost a year ago, and had a wonderful time. My sister lives out there and is a fan, with a season pass, so that helped. We optimized it pretty well.

The Star Wars rides and area were probably our favorites (Rise of the Resistance is incredible, but Smuggler's Run is super fun as well), but the Indiana Jones ride and Space Mountain were also amazing. I was definitely a fan of the Matterhorn as well.
My little one's most insistent request, like we were going to ignore the giant mountain in the middle of the park: "We are going on the Matterhorn, right?" It's almost certainly the very first thing we're going to do.

Undrave

Legend
I loved classic "fun houses" with my favorite being Cyclone Sadie's at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City (the attraction was closed in the late 80s or early 90s as fun houses fell out of fashion at theme parks). Also, Terror on Church Street in Orlando, which I first learned about when I was gifted a t-shirt from the attraction.
Walkthroughs attractions are generally underrated. Classic fun houses, walkthrough haunted house with actors... I'm personally a fan of mazes! At the Old Port in Montreal they have SOS Labyrinthe where you not only have to navigate the maze (which is changing every month or so, since its uses cloth partitions) but you also have to find four areas in the maze to 'win'. When I went a decade or so ago you had to get stamps but I don't know what they use now. They even had a timed leaderboard if you wanted to compete.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Undrave reminds me as well that The Haunted Mansion was great as well, though there was a long line for it.
My little one's most insistent request, like we were going to ignore the giant mountain in the middle of the park: "We are going on the Matterhorn, right?" It's almost certainly the very first thing we're going to do.
It's super fun.

Speaking of lines, I definitely recommend the Genie+Lightning Lane upgrade, and getting in "virtual line" for your next ride while you're physically in line for the previous one. This was part of the optimization I mentioned. My sister was sharp about keeping an eye on the current wait times for rides we wanted to do, and once our time slot for a Lightning Line entry came up, as soon as we walked into the shorter LL queue and scanned in on our phones, she'd be checking availability on other rides and getting us plugged in for an entry time at the next ride.

We went on a Sunday, and once it got past around 8:00pm and the crowds thinned out we were able to get into all kinds of rides very quickly, but during the day I was very happy to have the Lightning Lanes where they were available (as I recall the Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise did not have the option, for example).

Mad_Jack

Legend
Also white water canyon ( it’s at a local theme park but I’m positive other places have similar things. You sit in a large circular 6 person thing that is basically a large tire with seats in a circle. It floats around a water track, some rapids and splashes). I find it just very relaxing but exciting at the same time. And if it is a hot day the water splashes are nice and welcome.

Flume-style water rides have always been my second favorite thing after rollercoasters.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Hershey Park.
Hershey is a really cool town (it really does smell like chocolate) and the amusement park is wonderful.

We stopped at Hershey on the way back from our 8th grade field trip to Gettysburg...
I was kinda pissed at the time, because pretty much everybody on the trip came home with ridiculous amounts of chocolate, but I hadn't outgrown my chocolate allergy yet (and was poor) so I had to limit myself to a single candy bar.
I do recall there was a pretty cool shopping mall near there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases