Tell me why I'm wrong about grappling. Please.

werk

First Post
Enkhidu said:
If that were all I wanted, I'd simply touch (succeed), grapple (win), pin (win), and drop the grapple (no contest).

That would require movement.

Also, what happens if you do the strategy above...Can you make iterative grapples against other opponents and/or the same opponent? When you pin and then release, you are free...but aren't you sharing the same square with the formerly pinned guy? What then, since he is immoble but not helpless?

(I need grapple skills)

Infiniti2000

First Post
That's one of those gray areas. You technically can't exist in the same square as your opponent (barring a few exceptions like tumbling, grappling, etc.). So, you probably should take a 5ft-step out (otherwise you provoke an AoO). Unfortunately, if you've just started the grappling, you can't also take a 5ft-step (you moved into your opponent's square in the first place, rendering a 5ft-step as impossible).

IMO, the best option is to allow 'free movement' to exit a grapple in the same way you allow it to start a grapple. But, like starting a grapple it should provoke an AoO. This would be a houserule, though. Anyone have additional ideas on this, prefereably supported in the rules?

werk

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
So, you probably should take a 5ft-step out (otherwise you provoke an AoO). Unfortunately, if you've just started the grappling, you can't also take a 5ft-step (you moved into your opponent's square in the first place, rendering a 5ft-step as impossible).

Why does that make a 5' impossible? (nothing is impossible)

I figure the argument is you only get one 5'/round, but couldn't you move 5', then grapple...thereby getting a second 'free' 5' in the first place?

Pinotage

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
IMO, the best option is to allow 'free movement' to exit a grapple in the same way you allow it to start a grapple. But, like starting a grapple it should provoke an AoO. This would be a houserule, though. Anyone have additional ideas on this, prefereably supported in the rules?

None included in the core rules themselves, but the Rules of the Game on grappling states the following which seems reasonable:

Rules of the Game said:
Release Your Foe: When you have a foe pinned, you're more or less in control of the situation. You can voluntarily release a pinned foe as a free action; if you do so, you are no longer considered to be grappling that character (and vice versa).

Once released, your foe must go to a space adjacent to the space the two of you once shared. The movement provokes attacks of opportunity from foes who threaten the space your foe leaves, but the movement doesn't count against the foe's speed for the current turn.

Given that the person releasing the grapple had the upper hand, it seems reasonable to assume they can release their opponent where they want to.

Pinotage

werk

First Post
Pinotage said:
Given that the person releasing the grapple had the upper hand, it seems reasonable to assume they can release their opponent where they want to.

Huzzah, now we have a real reason to use this strategy!

Taloras

First Post
Yea...grapple him, move into his space, and release him back to where you were(switching places) between your two rogue friends. ;)

Thanee

First Post
jodyjohnson said:
So do folks think a 13th monk can use flurry of blows to gain 2 extra grapple attacks at full BAB?

Not two, but one. And only attacks to start a grapple, not grapple attacks in a grapple.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
werk said:
Why does that make a 5' impossible? (nothing is impossible)
It makes a 5ft-step impossible, as the specific 'not an action' action, if you've moved that round (into your opponent's Space). :)

Pinotage, thanks for the reference. I think I'll adopt that as a houserule. Taloras, note that you don't get to choose where your opponent ends up. Your opponent chooses the adjacent Space (square isn't entirely correct if you consider size).

Remove ads